Singapore Expats Forum

Fresh graduate foreigner has been studying in Sg for 9 years

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
nanazhang

Fresh graduate foreigner has been studying in Sg for 9 years

Postby nanazhang » Sun, 01 Sep 2013 12:59 pm

Hi,
I have been studying in Singapore for the past 9 years, from secondary school, poly and just graduated from private uni, Curtin. I was not offered the invitation letter to apply for PR during secondary school and during poly, the PR scheme has been tightened.

I have set the e-appointment for early October. Would you suggest me just try my luck and apply for the PR? If so, under which category should I be in?

Thank you in advance! :)

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Re: Fresh graduate foreigner has been studying in Sg for 9 y

Postby zzm9980 » Sun, 01 Sep 2013 3:05 pm

nanazhang wrote:Hi,
I have been studying in Singapore for the past 9 years, from secondary school, poly and just graduated from private uni, Curtin. I was not offered the invitation letter to apply for PR during secondary school and during poly, the PR scheme has been tightened.

I have set the e-appointment for early October. Would you suggest me just try my luck and apply for the PR? If so, under which category should I be in?

Thank you in advance! :)

You should get a job and an employment pass. After working here for a few years in a desired field, then try for PR.

I'm also guessing by your name you're from mainland China? Criteria will be tighter for you.

nanazhang

Postby nanazhang » Mon, 02 Sep 2013 1:14 pm

I was hoping that if the PR were to be approved, I can apply for jobs easier. Guess that is not possible now. If the PR application were to be rejected, will it get harder to be approved next time?

I am from Indonesia actually. :D

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

Postby AngMoG » Mon, 02 Sep 2013 2:01 pm

nanazhang wrote:I was hoping that if the PR were to be approved, I can apply for jobs easier. Guess that is not possible now. If the PR application were to be rejected, will it get harder to be approved next time?

I am from Indonesia actually. :D

Well, apparently you already set the e-appointment, so better to go through with it.

If you are rejected, wait until you have a good salary (probably best to have a good increase for your first job after university), i.e. until your economic situation improves markedly.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Postby zzm9980 » Mon, 02 Sep 2013 7:59 pm

nanazhang wrote:I am from Indonesia actually. :D

Are you Chinese, or just using the name? Indonesian Chinese will have a better chance than most, but you still should be working for a while. PR will only help with the crappy jobs on the low end where the type of job actually wouldn't help you with ICA.