Singapore Expats

Returning to SG / dual citizen

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
joedb

Returning to SG / dual citizen

Post by joedb » Sun, 01 Sep 2013 8:20 am

Not sure if I should have posted this on the Visas sub forum or here. Please advise if there may be people over there who don't read this sub forum and can give better answers.

My wife, son and I are Singaporeans. We moved to Canada just after he was born. My wife and son became Canadians. I am still Singaporean.

I have no NS problem because I am too old. However my son does have this problem. I know it is my fault for not researching properly what should have been done. Anyway that is not the issue as I know he can never go to SG safely.

My question is:

My wife and I need to go to SG to live for a few years (don't ask why). We have not been to SG for 30 years, my wife's passport is expired since 1985. I have renewed my SG passport every 10 and now 5 years.

Should my wife renew her SG passport and use this to return to SG? Does she need to renounce Canadian citizenship before applying?

Or is it possible for her to renounce SG and get a visa based on marriage to me? (Note, just in case it makes a difference, I am from PRC, parents refugees in Taiwan, I was stateless until SG accepted me and gave me citizenship).

Also, any penalty for her obtaining dual citizenship, or any penalty for not sending our son to NS?

Before you accuse me of going against the country that took me in, I was severely discriminated by SG Chinese due to being from PRC which is why I decided to take my family away.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Returning to SG / dual citizen

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 01 Sep 2013 8:24 am

joedb wrote:Not sure if I should have posted this on the Visas sub forum or here. Please advise if there may be people over there who don't read this sub forum and can give better answers.

My wife, son and I are Singaporeans. We moved to Canada just after he was born. My wife and son became Canadians. I am still Singaporean.

I have no NS problem because I am too old. However my son does have this problem. I know it is my fault for not researching properly what should have been done. Anyway that is not the issue as I know he can never go to SG safely.

My question is:

My wife and I need to go to SG to live for a few years (don't ask why). We have not been to SG for 30 years, my wife's passport is expired since 1985. I have renewed my SG passport every 10 and now 5 years.

Should my wife renew her SG passport and use this to return to SG? Does she need to renounce Canadian citizenship before applying?

Or is it possible for her to renounce SG and get a visa based on marriage to me? (Note, just in case it makes a difference, I am from PRC, parents refugees in Taiwan, I was stateless until SG accepted me and gave me citizenship).

Also, any penalty for her obtaining dual citizenship, or any penalty for not sending our son to NS?

Before you accuse me of going against the country that took me in, I was severely discriminated by SG Chinese due to being from PRC which is why I decided to take my family away.
I think your wife should enter on her Canadian PP. She can apply for a LTVP using you as a sponsor. She should research how to renounce her Singapore citizenship while here.

Your son may actually be ok - he's not had any benefits at all from being Singaporean and obviously has no NRIC etc and he could probably renounce his Singapore citizenship at the nearest Singapore embassy in the future.

No one is going to attack you for going against Singapore - yours is a genuine case unlike the curry lovers who just use Singapore as a stepping stone.

FaeLLe
Chatter
Chatter

Post by FaeLLe » Tue, 26 Nov 2013 12:14 pm

I am not sure why you think you are safe just because you are too old to serve NS?

You left Singapore without a valid exit permit so you have violated immigration laws and might be prosecuted when you return.

My understanding is if you are 13 years old and above, you are subject to exit controls if you leave Singapore for 3 months or longer - http://iprep.ns.sg/exit-permit.html

Your wife should not renew here Singapore passport, renewing a Singapore passport after having obtained another citizenship is an offence.