Singapore Expats

Scuba Diving Clubs

Discuss about food, eating places, shopping centres, clubs, pubs, massage, sports, travel & holidays. Share tips on best place to chill, party, relax or travel destinations.
Phillyg

Scuba Diving Clubs

Post by Phillyg » Fri, 30 Aug 2013 11:39 pm

Hi,

I'm 30/m and qualified as a PADI Open Water Diver last year and am looking to keep up my diving now i'm living in Singapore, ideally i'd like to get my Advanced qualification too. Does anyone here also dive, or have an interest in diving and needs/would like a dive buddy? Are there any clubs that are recommended?

I'd quite like to do weekends away, either by boat from Singapore or further afield by plane.

Cheers

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 30 Aug 2013 11:52 pm

There are a number of diving related threads on here. Try using the search function at the top centre of the page. It works pretty good.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Phillyg

Post by Phillyg » Sat, 31 Aug 2013 12:05 am

Thanks sms, I did a search and saw a few but couldn't find any that had a lot of detail and/or were dated. I'll try again. :)

fletch

Post by fletch » Sat, 31 Aug 2013 8:53 am

hello - i've just done my open water cert with The Dive Company and they're very good. If you're planning to go on a dive trip let me know i might join!

cheers

ChrisCH
Regular
Regular

Post by ChrisCH » Sat, 31 Aug 2013 2:42 pm

Hi!

My wife and I are pretty active divers doing typically some 4 to 5 weekends and two dive trips a year... there are quite a couple of clubs, especially corporate ones. So if you happen to work in a large company, especially of the financial type, is there a good chance that you don't need to look further. However, most locals don't really organize themselves in formal clubs, they simply find a handful of friends and go diving together.

If you got any questions, drop me a PM. I am part of one of the clubs and we allow externals to join, but the last weekend trip this year is to 7skies which I am not sure I would recommend you - it is a fairly challenging dive that requires AOWD certification as it is deep. I guess technically you could do the advanced course there though...

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 31 Aug 2013 2:58 pm

How deep are you talking? Air or tech dive?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ChrisCH
Regular
Regular

Post by ChrisCH » Sat, 31 Aug 2013 4:21 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:How deep are you talking? Air or tech dive?
If you make weekend liveaboard trips from SG can you go in two directions: up the coast of Malaysia, typically to Tioman or Dayang. In the last weeks have the Malaysian authorities drastically raised some fees for diving, to the point that nobody sane would go there, so I guess it was the last season to some parts of the region.

The other direction is Indonesia and one of the most popular destination of the coming months is the wreck of the Swedish super tanker 7skies which sunk I believe in the late 60s. The reason is that in September and October this spot has high season for migrating "really big stuff" as mantas and whale sharks. Problem: the TOP of the super structure is at 24 meters. So yes, air dive is possible, but the bottom time is short. I'd highly recommend nitrox. The main hull of the wreck is just for tech divers... The point is mainly to go down a rope and hope to see a passing by pelagic.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 31 Aug 2013 5:41 pm

Mainly just curious, I don't do tech diving.

I did almost 20 years on Heliox and deep air and shallow air deep mud diving. I've been diving for 40 years although not so much in the past 10 years or so 40 years on Scuba and 20 on commercial hose gear. In fact, it's how I came to be in Asia in the first place. Oceaneering In'l headhunted me from the Gulf of Mexico to come over here and help run a Bell Bounce system on the on DS Chancellorsville (which was turned into razor blades years ago) I also did a year & a half on the ill fated DS Seacrest. I was part of the alternate crew and was off when she was sunk in Typhoon Gay back in Nov '89. I hung up my commercial fins after that as I was already in my 40's and still doing working dives every day. I figured that "the watchers" were subtly telling me something. Tomorrow I turn 66 but still get wet on the rare occasion. (My NAUI C card is dated 1976!) :lol:

Just for fun, here's a shot of me under the Seacrest in 1983, seeing you mentioned them.....

If you are wondering, It's a KMB-9 with bailout bottle! ;-)

ChrisCH
Regular
Regular

Post by ChrisCH » Mon, 02 Sep 2013 11:01 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote: Just for fun, here's a shot of me under the Seacrest in 1983, seeing you mentioned them.....

If you are wondering, It's a KMB-9 with bailout bottle! ;-)
I was not really wondering as I was really busy in kindergarden at the time the picture was taken... way before my time!

But here is a tip if you want to get that 80s oil rig feeling: Some guy bought an old rig from the gulf of Mexico and moved it all the way to Borneo as a diving hotel! (http://seaventuresdive.com/) I have not personally booked into the hotel but dived underneath it... looks like a place for people looking for a not so conventional vacation...

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 02 Sep 2013 12:22 pm

Thanks for that. I worked off a lot of those shallow water jackup barges in the Gulf of Mexico back in the 70s & early 80s so yeah, would defo bring back some memories. :wink:

Phillyg

Post by Phillyg » Sun, 08 Sep 2013 1:04 am

Thanks for the tips chaps!

chaaraard

Also looking for scuba diving clubs

Post by chaaraard » Sat, 14 Sep 2013 3:18 pm

I'm an advanced open water, lived in australia before, and emigrated to Singapore, I wish to join a scuba diving club as well and maybe take a refresher course. Would appreciate any advice.

Cheers

Stevie_W
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Stevie_W » Sun, 15 Sep 2013 2:48 am

Yep, like Fletch, i go with The Dive Company.
Did a refresher and my AOW with them.
I find them to be very professional, very safety conscious and a lot of fun to be with.

chaaraard

Post by chaaraard » Sun, 15 Sep 2013 3:16 pm

Stevie_W wrote:Yep, like Fletch, i go with The Dive Company.
Did a refresher and my AOW with them.
I find them to be very professional, very safety conscious and a lot of fun to be with.
So there's a place in Singapore called "The Dive Company?"

Stevie_W
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Stevie_W » Sun, 15 Sep 2013 3:23 pm

They're on North Bridge Road. A few mins walk from Bugis.