Singapore Expats

What's Ethnic background got to do with?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
CaroMass

What's Ethnic background got to do with?

Post by CaroMass » Fri, 30 Aug 2013 6:17 pm

My question is this I heard that there is a strong possibility that my EPmapplication will be rejected for this sole reason! Is that really the case is MoM basing things SOLEY on ethnic background?
Last edited by CaroMass on Sun, 01 Sep 2013 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 30 Aug 2013 6:19 pm

Singapore is racist as the sky is blue and grass is green.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 30 Aug 2013 8:25 pm

No, their decision are not base SOLELY on race, but it can and will play a large part.

History lesson in brief........

>Singapore ethnic demographics since independence in 1965 has been roughly, within a percent or two, been 75% Chinese; 14% Malay; 7% Indian and the balance 2 to 4% "others".

>In the past 13 years, due to the IT push in Singapore since Y2K and their desire to be a IT Hub, they opened up the immigration floodgates to get the needed FTs to ramp up the IT industry. These came primarily from ethnic Indians and to a lesser extent PRCs from China and Pinoys from the 'peens. (pardon my "familiarity" I have a half pinoy half indian 5 year old girl living with me!)

>Due to the penchant of certain ethnicties to abuse any and everybody they can, worldwide, the government has, for all intents and purposes, had their fill of them and additionally they let the demographics get skewed to Indian being up to 9~10%. Additionally, the locals don't much like folks from the 'peens or China as they consider them job stealers competing for the PMET positions but willing to work for a lot less. This has caused the ruling party to take a pretty good hit to the solar plexus during the 2011 General Election when the Citizens let the government know JUST HOW UNHAPPY they were.

>It's a fact of life here. Google HDB racial quota policy for example of government legislated racism.
Therefore, certain races are finding it harder and harder to gain a foothold here for those reasons. As far as racism is concerned, it's always been here and will always be here as long as the Chinese are the dominant race. Fact of life here. Ethnicity and religion both will play a substantial part in the selection part of gaining PR here. Accept it, work within it, or walk away from it. Them's the only choices you have. The fact that your passport is from somewhere else is immaterial unless you have something that they (the government) really want. e,g, extremely deep pockets like Eduardo Saverin or somesuch where they gain face as well as deep pockets.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Re: What's Ethnic background got to do with it? That's racis

Post by Wd40 » Fri, 30 Aug 2013 9:58 pm

CaroMass wrote:Okay I'm in the middle of applying for my P2 EP pass. I'm British Citizen and have lived there all my life. I'm adopted (my biological parents are both Filipino decent) I haven't been exposed to the culture nor have yet had the privilege of visiting the Philippines.
My question is this I heard that there is a strong possibility that my application will be rejected for this sole reason! Is that really the case is MoM basing things SOLEY on ethnic background? Surely it should be based on nationality and requirements to fill the need for that job role in singapore not SOLEY based on race! Is it so black and white?! :???: its sad that this day in age The word racism has to come into place here! :cry: Asians against other Asians and I'm caught in the middle :cry:
Where did you get that information from? With due respect to the previous posters and there is nothing wrong in what they have said. However, your case should have no base for racism. There is no racial discrimination, atleast as far as MoM approving work passes is concerned. Yes they do treat certain countries with higher scruitiny because citizens from there have higher chances of falsifying documents etc. But thats about it.

You are starting off on a completely wrong foot on your move to Singapore. If thats how your attitude is, I suggest stay where you are.

bro75
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by bro75 » Sat, 31 Aug 2013 12:01 am

I believe for EP applications, race is not really an issue. For P2 applications, government (MOM) will look primarily at your salary, work experience, and education. Having Pinoy heritage is neither a positive nor a negative in the approvals process IMO since there are a number of us here. But that said, race and nationality are definitely factors in PR and citizenship approvals.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Re: What's Ethnic background got to do with it? That's racis

Post by Mad Scientist » Sat, 31 Aug 2013 1:09 pm

CaroMass wrote: The word racism has to come into place here! :cry: Asians against other Asians and I'm caught in the middle :cry:
Welcome to the REAL WORLD . RACISM is ALIVE and KICKING
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!