Singapore Expats

Retirement Decisions, decisions, decisions

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Thu, 29 Aug 2013 2:40 am

I gave up my SG SC years ago as I cannot keep up with the PR BS for the wife as she is non SG and has been a PR for a long time. As you said you need to be more than 184 days a year in order to keep the PR which is a hard act to follow for us. Our children are all over the world. One in US , One in UK , the two girls back in OZ. All single pursuing their own careers.
I have homes in Motala, Melbourne and Semarang. The wife and I decided to let go our SC citizenship as we find there is no more feelings of "home" for us in SG.
Did we make the right call ? I do not know but I am glad it was done
Did we regret for making this call ? Not really .
For me once you make a decision, through thick and thin you stick with it like a glue.
A General in the army did advise me once and till this day it is always been my principle
He said

A Bad Leader is not a leader than makes bad decision but a Bad Leader is a Leader that does not make ANY decision at all.
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

RobSg
Regular
Regular

Post by RobSg » Thu, 29 Aug 2013 7:25 am

Mad Scientist, I feel the same as you about Singapore not really being home for me anymore. I came here in 1988, and frankly, I loved it. Over the years with the cost of living and population rising dramatically, it's not home anymore. My problem is letting go of something I used to love.

Excuse me for asking, but what is "SC"? I think I know what "PR BS" is, but it's ok. The point is I really enjoy hearing from others my age. Being single and not having a group of older friends in Singapore has forced me to rely on forums like this to share opinions and ideas. That's probably one main reason why I look forward to returning to my own culture.

I've lived and taught in schools in 12 countries, and it's been a great experience. For several years I even rented a place in Singapore while teaching in Egypt for a year, Jordan for a year, and Nigeria for a year. It was costly, but I also felt attached to Singapore that way.

An observation about myself that I've made is this. In spite of being an expat for 40+years, the only profound and deep conversations I can ever have is with people of my own culture. For example, when I am talking to a Singaporean, it's enjoyable and pleasant, but it's never completely sincere. I'm not sure if that is understandable, but I hope it is.

Thank you again,

Rob

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 29 Aug 2013 9:52 am

Rob, you have hit it on the head. And I've got family here, but I still don't feel like I'm 'home' even after 30+ years.

SC is Singapore Citizenship.

People sometimes wonder why I've been on this board for so many years. It's the ability to talk to people with whom I don't always agree, but at least for the most part, understand from where I'm coming from. I always called this little red dot my residence but never my home.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Thu, 29 Aug 2013 1:50 pm

I am not white and mixed blood but the wife is and I understand where you are coming from.
Why don't you take a few months break and visit your mate in Canada. Then go from there before you decided to let go your SG PR
Renting a room in SG if you are living alone is much cheaper than forking $2.5 for an apartment in SG.
Something has to let go in order for you to pursue your dreams.
I know you are worried if you take the plunge and things might turn to custard and you do not have something to fall back.
But hey life is a bitch, either way you have to make the best of any situation
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

RobSg
Regular
Regular

Post by RobSg » Thu, 29 Aug 2013 3:33 pm

SMS, Mas Scientist,

Thank you. It's good to get some input. I appreciate that very much.

Sincerely,
Rob