Singapore Expats

Singapore PR to wait 3 years to buy HDB resale flat

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Singapore PR to wait 3 years to buy HDB resale flat

Post by Wd40 » Tue, 27 Aug 2013 6:27 pm

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by AngMoG » Tue, 27 Aug 2013 6:51 pm

I have to say, that is actually kind of sensible. I only find the short notice a bit inappropriate...

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Tue, 27 Aug 2013 6:59 pm

Couple of additional measures introduced, actually

http://www.todayonline.com/singapore/hd ... e-25-years

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Tue, 27 Aug 2013 6:59 pm

AngMoG wrote:I have to say, that is actually kind of sensible. I only find the short notice a bit inappropriate...
I agree. The advance notice is very short, but this could reduce the number of people who apply for PR without the intention of settling permanently here but just in order to avail themselves of the benefits.
Be careful what you wish for

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Tue, 27 Aug 2013 7:03 pm

PRs had stopped buying HDBs anyways, due to the 5% ABSD and no permission to rent out, ever.

This measure is more like beating the dead horse.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 27 Aug 2013 8:05 pm

I hope they continue to beat the dead horse for a while, looking at the numbers on here every week trying to apply for PR rapidly. Most are just abusers in the first place using the "global person" platform to justify their giving up of PR after their property appreciated sufficiently to make a tidy profit. Yeah, it's short notice, but what to do? When the facts are thrown in your face month after month, eventually, they gonna get tired of it.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Tue, 27 Aug 2013 8:14 pm

Buying HDB is no longer the reason for PR application. PRs are not idiots to pay 5% more than citizens for a 30 year old pigeon hole. In all probability they are applying because there is still nothing to lose as far as the application is concerned.

However, I am sure there a lot more PRs now applying for citizenship to dodge the ABSD.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 27 Aug 2013 9:06 pm

I have my serious doubt that you speak for all the PR wannabes in Singapore. :roll:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Tue, 27 Aug 2013 9:15 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I have my serious doubt that you speak for all the PR wannabes in Singapore. :roll:
Not all, but I know a lot of people who fit in that exact PR abuse category that you talk about.

AndrewV
Chatter
Chatter

Post by AndrewV » Wed, 28 Aug 2013 10:21 am

I guess most PR's will resort to renting now? because the way things are going, until US and the west picks up, there are still few other places for them to go

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Wed, 28 Aug 2013 10:58 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I have my serious doubt that you speak for all the PR wannabes in Singapore. :roll:
Totally agree, of course one of the main reason of wanting to become PR is so to be able to buy a resale HDB. Even with the additional 5% it still a cheaper option than renting and a hell of a lot cheaper than buying private.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Wed, 28 Aug 2013 11:03 am

Is this an indirect admission that they have allowed too many PR's?

If the PR population is such a small player in the HDB resale market as the Govt states ..... somewhere around 5 or 6%... Then I am not sure what the point of this measure is apart from trying to score political points.
Life is short, paddle harder!!

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 28 Aug 2013 11:59 am

Spot on. Certain things are done purely for cosmetic reasons. The voters here are naive and the appearance of things often does more than anything else. They get points and only the PRs suffer (actually just get gouged a bit longer paying exorbitant rentals) for a couple more years. This might actually be a good thing in the short term as in a couple of years, if the cooling measures take hold, the prices may come down enough to offset the additional wait to buy. :wink:

Additionally, as the FTs thin out a bit (at the PMET levels) more condos will be renting at lesser amounts in order to keep 'em filled. So there should be some savings there as well.

lfo_24

Post by lfo_24 » Wed, 28 Aug 2013 12:11 pm

Hi guys, I have tried to check in details for these ruling for SPR household on waiting for 3 years before they can buy resale flat.

Minimum criteria to be eligible for resale flat one must be SPR and to include another listed occupant (usually spouse) who is also SPR.

My question is:
These 3 years waiting, does it apply only for one person, means if one of the couple has fulfill more than 3 years as SPR, they can still buy resale
OR
does this applicable both people (the couple)?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 28 Aug 2013 12:27 pm

As the rule was just announced this morning/last night, how would we have a clue?