Singapore Expats

Singtel

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Singtel

Post by Steve1960 » Mon, 26 Aug 2013 3:02 pm

I have Singtel's ADSL service and MIO TV which means I have one router for the Internet and another for the TV with separate telephone numbers.

Does this mean they are both standard Internet connections i.e. if I plugged my laptop into the router for the MIO TV service would it work?

I am thinking of buying a 'UKTVAnywhere' box and it would be useful to plug it into the same router as the MIO TV box. The Internet router is too far away.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 26 Aug 2013 6:51 pm

Your MIO TV connection is technically an IP connection, but I'm pretty sure Singtel filters outbound access so you can't do this. I only briefly tried for about 10 seconds when I still had MIO. It's possible they do something simple to filter, say via DNS. You could try your own DNS servers and see if that works.

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Wed, 02 Oct 2013 10:44 am

zzm9980 wrote:Your MIO TV connection is technically an IP connection, but I'm pretty sure Singtel filters outbound access so you can't do this. I only briefly tried for about 10 seconds when I still had MIO. It's possible they do something simple to filter, say via DNS. You could try your own DNS servers and see if that works.
Thinking more about this. I have a smart TV which is only connected to the box which does MIO TV and I can surf the Internet, Skype, watch You Tube etc etc

Is this an indication that the MIO TV box has an open Internet connection?

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 02 Oct 2013 2:58 pm

Steve1960 wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:Your MIO TV connection is technically an IP connection, but I'm pretty sure Singtel filters outbound access so you can't do this. I only briefly tried for about 10 seconds when I still had MIO. It's possible they do something simple to filter, say via DNS. You could try your own DNS servers and see if that works.
Thinking more about this. I have a smart TV which is only connected to the box which does MIO TV and I can surf the Internet, Skype, watch You Tube etc etc

Is this an indication that the MIO TV box has an open Internet connection?
Did you connect the TV via Ethernet to that box, or HDMI to the channel changing box? If the former, I'd say yes for sure. If the later, it could go either way since there is an Ethernet over HDMI protocol the box may be using.

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Wed, 02 Oct 2013 3:47 pm

Good point, connected via HDMI

Back to square one :-(

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 02 Oct 2013 6:00 pm

Steve1960 wrote:Good point, connected via HDMI

Back to square one :-(
It's still worth a shot to try.

PrimroseHill
Chatter
Chatter

Post by PrimroseHill » Tue, 22 Oct 2013 9:52 am

So, is there a way of connecting the UK TV anywhere box to a mio router? Or do I have to continue using my VPN?

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 22 Oct 2013 3:42 pm

PrimroseHill wrote:So, is there a way of connecting the UK TV anywhere box to a mio router? Or do I have to continue using my VPN?
You'll need your VPN. Alternatively, you can buy a router which lets you configure the VPN on the router itself, or you can switch your ISP to MyRepublic or ViewQuest. See other threads about those.

durain
Director
Director

Re: Singtel

Post by durain » Tue, 22 Oct 2013 7:52 pm

Steve1960 wrote:The Internet router is too far away.
how about using powerline ethernet/wifi (aka HomePlug)?

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Wed, 23 Oct 2013 8:04 am

I decided on a whim to go with Singtel's fibre service. It's only a little more expensive that the ADSL line I pay for and free installation.

Apparently that means I will have only one router (currently have one for MIO TV and one for the ADSL) so I will be able to plug the UK TV Anywhere box directly into it, the Smart TV too.

Downside is that I have to run a 10 metre network cable to the home office. I can use the laptop WiFi but the VOIP video phone needs a LAN connection :-(

PrimroseHill
Chatter
Chatter

Post by PrimroseHill » Wed, 23 Oct 2013 2:43 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
PrimroseHill wrote:So, is there a way of connecting the UK TV anywhere box to a mio router? Or do I have to continue using my VPN?
You'll need your VPN. Alternatively, you can buy a router which lets you configure the VPN on the router itself, or you can switch your ISP to MyRepublic or ViewQuest. See other threads about those.
Yes, the genius (OH calls him that) has configure our VPN on the router itself