Singapore Expats

Motorcycle Buying Process Question

Have your burning questions answered relating to buying and selling cars and other vehicles.
hairball

Motorcycle Buying Process Question

Post by hairball » Sun, 25 Aug 2013 11:16 am

Hi guys,

I'm coming from Canada for a one-year program and since I'll be travelling back and forth a lot to school, I've been thinking about getting a motorcycle. I'm licensed in Canada.

I was wondering if anyone could help me clarify what the typical buying process of a used motorcycle is in Singapore?

Here typically, you would find and pay for the bike, then it needs to pass a safety before you can plate it (this can involve having it brought to a mechanic) and then it needs to be insured before finally you can legally drive it. This process tends to involve a lot of either getting friends with a truck to help you move the bike or renting a trailer.

Is it similar in Singapore? or is there a window where you can you ride it home once you've bought it and then go through the insurance process?

Thanks!

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Motorcycle Buying Process Question

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 25 Aug 2013 11:36 am

hairball wrote:Hi guys,

I'm coming from Canada for a one-year program and since I'll be travelling back and forth a lot to school, I've been thinking about getting a motorcycle. I'm licensed in Canada.

I was wondering if anyone could help me clarify what the typical buying process of a used motorcycle is in Singapore?

Here typically, you would find and pay for the bike, then it needs to pass a safety before you can plate it (this can involve having it brought to a mechanic) and then it needs to be insured before finally you can legally drive it. This process tends to involve a lot of either getting friends with a truck to help you move the bike or renting a trailer.

Is it similar in Singapore? or is there a window where you can you ride it home once you've bought it and then go through the insurance process?

Thanks!
It's simpler. Assuming it's a private transaction;

Find a bike on sgbikemart or similar.

Take a look at it - if you want it pay a small deposit and agree to meet at the LTA offfice to do the transfer.

Go home - arrange insurance to start the day of the takeover (direct asia online insurance).

Meet the fellow at the LTA (he rides the bike to LTA). You do a transfer at the LTA counter *(you need proof of insurance and your passport). You pay him there and then the balance in cash or with a bankers draft. Ride home (or drop by and collect from his house/work whatever). The LTA transfer is not much - $20 or so. In my opinion the used bike market here is a buyers market - most riders like to upgrade regularly here and can't maintain a bicycle much less a bike so can't cope with minor problems and just change bikes to get away from issues - so offer a lower price than the asking price every time!

DON"T buy bikes that have been extensively modified - used bikes have to pass a yearly inspection and mods are a no-no (particularly exhaust mods).

If you do this at LTA together you have assurance that the owner is legit, that the bike is not stolen or under finance and that it is registered (and hence passed it's last safety inspection).

It's a little simpler when buying from a shop - you don't have to go into LTA and they can arrange insurance on the spot as well as finance. You usually find a bike you like and then arrange to come back with the funds to collect it on a set day. IF buying from a shop they should meet a min mechanical standard as well - I usually insist on new tyres, chains, sprockets, grips and mirrors (if damaged) along with a fresh oil change and battery (if not obviously very new) and sometimes a new cheapo helmet, bike cover and rain gear. You are expected to pay a deposit to be taken seriously. I have had good service from AS Phoon.

(Note - you could in theory buy a private bike in one to two hours if you had access to a printer and online laptop - the usual bottleneck is getting insurance arranged but now with direct asia online you can apply and priint out in 10 mins or so and then go straight to LTA together - the buyer and seller HAVE to be present at LTA for private transactions - makes it a pain in the ass if you try to sell your bike remotely - sell it before you leave or at least leave someone authorised in writing to sell it).

hairball

Post by hairball » Sun, 25 Aug 2013 11:47 am

Thanks for the prompt reply, PNGMK!

So if I understand correctly, you'd go see the bike, then if you were to decide you wanted to purchase it you would arrange to meet again at the LTA office to put down a deposit, and then once more to finalize the sale? Do most sellers ask for a deposit, or can you skip that step and pay the whole amount upon meeting at the LTA?

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 25 Aug 2013 12:12 pm

hairball wrote:Thanks for the prompt reply, PNGMK!

So if I understand correctly, you'd go see the bike, then if you were to decide you wanted to purchase it you would arrange to meet again at the LTA office to put down a deposit, and then once more to finalize the sale? Do most sellers ask for a deposit, or can you skip that step and pay the whole amount upon meeting at the LTA?
Deposit depends on sellers attitude. It doesn't need to be big ($100 to $1000).

The full amount would be expected at LTA as that is when you take offical title - show the seller the money - do the transfer and then hand it over if you're at all concerned that the transfer will fail.

hairball

Post by hairball » Sun, 25 Aug 2013 1:05 pm

I suppose that sounds pretty reasonable!

franky-MS

Post by franky-MS » Mon, 16 Sep 2013 12:20 pm

... and you can be sure that it is a good time to buy!
The market is totally down since the government introduced the new loan guidelines where every buyer needs a 50% share in cash on the loan.
My own bike went down in price already 4thsd dollars :mad: .
Just crazy!

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 16 Sep 2013 3:26 pm

franky-MS wrote:... and you can be sure that it is a good time to buy!
The market is totally down since the government introduced the new loan guidelines where every buyer needs a 50% share in cash on the loan.
Just crazy!
I thought that didn't apply to motorbikes but only cars?

dxb625

Post by dxb625 » Fri, 11 Oct 2013 8:23 pm

I suggest you get insurance first before buying the bike for two reasons:

1) not all insurance companies in singapore will insure riders using foreign license; and

2) the insurance is required before transfer at LTA can take place.

We just went through the process so we know the pain involved.

stuckmojo
Regular
Regular

Post by stuckmojo » Mon, 14 Oct 2013 4:03 pm

PNGMK wrote:
franky-MS wrote:... and you can be sure that it is a good time to buy!
Just crazy!
I thought that didn't apply to motorbikes but only cars?
Hi,

it doesn't seem the case for my bike either. I will let you know in a few weeks when I take possession.

luca9277

FIN needed when buying a motorbike??

Post by luca9277 » Mon, 03 Feb 2014 2:53 pm

Hi there,
does anybody know if a confirmed FIN is needed to buy a bike? Can I just go with my passport and insurance?

PNGMK

Re: FIN needed when buying a motorbike??

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 03 Feb 2014 7:44 pm

luca9277 wrote:Hi there,
does anybody know if a confirmed FIN is needed to buy a bike? Can I just go with my passport and insurance?
IF you're referring to the LTA transaction IME a passport and insurance is ok.

IF you're referring to a loan application I don't know.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 03 Feb 2014 7:48 pm

PNGMK wrote:

I'm curious, why would you be buying a bike without a FIN? LTA may be able to look your FIN up by passport, but they'll probably take issue if you don't have one.

Assuming you have an 'in principal approval' letter for a WP or EP, your FIN will be on it.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 03 Feb 2014 11:09 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
PNGMK wrote:

I'm curious, why would you be buying a bike without a FIN? LTA may be able to look your FIN up by passport, but they'll probably take issue if you don't have one.

Assuming you have an 'in principal approval' letter for a WP or EP, your FIN will be on it.
There's plenty of reasons and no I don't believe LTA will care.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 04 Feb 2014 2:40 am

The application form specifically says "passport" for non Malaysian foreigners although I used my FIN and later my NRIC.

As for a loan, I don't think you can get one without a FIN and time left on your EP longer than the loan duration and the bike must be new. Good luck on finding a loan on a used bike at all.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 04 Feb 2014 10:26 am

PNGMK wrote: There's plenty of reasons and no I don't believe LTA will care.
All I could think of was a foreigner showing up for one of those 'Singapore to Saigon', or other regional rides. In such a case, it would be much cheaper (no COE) to just go and buy in JB.