LED Lighting

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Post Reply
Steve1960
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1106
Joined: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 10:58 am
Location: Singapore

LED Lighting

Post by Steve1960 » Thu, 22 Aug 2013 3:39 pm

I am getting tired of replacing fluorescent tubes and ballasts in light units that are falling to pieces anyway.

I would like to replace with LED lighting. Are there any complications from a wiring perspective?

I am hoping it's just disconnect the two wires from the existing ballast units and reconnect to the new LED lights.

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 11504
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 12:13 am
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 22 Aug 2013 11:04 pm

Should not be an issue so long as the LED lighting device is rated for 240 volts. Having said that, beware of two things. First, there is some really cheap crap that has come in from China, mostly in the form of LED bulbs designed to replace a standard incandescent bulb. Not only do they have a short life (especially considering cost), some of them are downright dangerous... I bought a brand new one that was a definite shock hazard. Second, LED's operate at a much lower voltage. Make sure that what you buy is efficient... lumens versus watts... again... cheap Chinese devices put in a big resistor... a big waste of energy.

Steve1960
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1106
Joined: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 10:58 am
Location: Singapore

Post by Steve1960 » Fri, 23 Aug 2013 8:23 am

Excellent advice thank you

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6869
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011 1:35 pm
Location: Once more unto the breach

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 23 Aug 2013 9:49 am

I believe Phillips has an LED lighting showroom or two in Singapore. They're going to be pricey, but they won't be the cheap Chinese crap SE is mentioning.

Steve1960
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1106
Joined: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 10:58 am
Location: Singapore

Post by Steve1960 » Fri, 23 Aug 2013 10:55 am

Yes, I looked at their web site. I have to strike a bit of a balance here. HDB rental, landlord will not pay I am sure, 9 months left on the contract and no guarantee we will be renewing although we would like to.

bgd
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1684
Joined: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 4:09 pm

Post by bgd » Fri, 23 Aug 2013 11:59 am

Here's a glimpse of where this technology is heading

http://lifx.co/main/index.html

They deliver to Sg so I'm tempted to give it a try once they are up and running. I think Philips is doing something similiar.
Last edited by bgd on Fri, 23 Aug 2013 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6869
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011 1:35 pm
Location: Once more unto the breach

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 23 Aug 2013 3:13 pm

bgd wrote:Here's a glimpse of where this technology is heading

http://lifx.co/main/index.html

They deliver so Sg so I'm tempted to give it a try once they are up and running. I think Philips is doing something similiar.
Yes hah. Phillips has a lighting system with an iOS app to control the colors.

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8358
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 11:23 pm
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children

Post by nakatago » Fri, 23 Aug 2013 3:22 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
bgd wrote:Here's a glimpse of where this technology is heading

http://lifx.co/main/index.html

They deliver so Sg so I'm tempted to give it a try once they are up and running. I think Philips is doing something similiar.
Yes hah. Phillips has a lighting system with an iOS app to control the colors.
http://www.extremetech.com/electronics/ ... researcher
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 11504
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 12:13 am
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 23 Aug 2013 9:02 pm

And off of those can be hacked.

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6869
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011 1:35 pm
Location: Once more unto the breach

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 23 Aug 2013 10:33 pm

nakatago wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:
bgd wrote:Here's a glimpse of where this technology is heading

http://lifx.co/main/index.html

They deliver so Sg so I'm tempted to give it a try once they are up and running. I think Philips is doing something similiar.
Yes hah. Phillips has a lighting system with an iOS app to control the colors.
http://www.extremetech.com/electronics/ ... researcher
"Computer controlled lights can be turned off if the computer that controls them is taken over by malicious software". No sh1t?

Post Reply

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 18 guests