Singapore Expats

Finally! McDonalds Singapore has something for vegetarians:)

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
bloodhound123
Regular
Regular

Post by bloodhound123 » Tue, 27 Aug 2013 8:22 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
bloodhound123 wrote: This is not true in its entirety. Beef is a widely consumed meat in Kerala ( by Hindus as well ) and part of Tamil Nadu as well. In fact the most favoured side dish with coconut/palm toddy in Kerala is beef fry.
Pork is the staple food for the natives of Coorg ( in Karnataka ).

This is true! I was introduced to this delightful dish AND palm toddy in copious quantities back in January at my daughters wedding in Kerala. Fantastic.
I love it too :wink: Waiting for the next opportunity to go to Kerala

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Tue, 27 Aug 2013 8:31 pm

Kerala is different from most of India, there many hindus also go to church. Females are more empowered there. Its festivals too are different from Indian festivals. For eg, holi is not celebrated in Kerala.

Remember Christianity started in Kerala even before it went to Europe, so I wont be surprised if Hindus there eat beef.

bloodhound123
Regular
Regular

Post by bloodhound123 » Tue, 27 Aug 2013 8:42 pm

Wd40 wrote:Kerala is different from most of India, there many hindus also go to church. Females are more empowered there. Its festivals too are different from Indian festivals. For eg, holi is not celebrated in Kerala.

Remember Christianity started in Kerala even before it went to Europe, so I wont be surprised if Hindus there eat beef.
Kerala is only different in that way that it has an equal share of Hindus, Muslims and Christians ( and a few Jews ) and that it is one of the two states in India to be ruled by a Communist party. I have never heard of Hindus going to Church in Kerala. May be an odd case here and there. And I know as a matter of fact that communal tensions are pretty high out there ( doesnt hog the limelight though ).
Holi is not celebrated anywhere in Southern India/North Eastern India ( not as a tradition, may be as a cult in recent times ).

Christianity started in Kerala? Where did you get this info from? I know there are ancient Jewish settlements from Yemen, Syria, Babylon in Kerala. Are you saying that they took up Christianity even before it spread to Europe?

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Tue, 27 Aug 2013 9:11 pm

bloodhound123 wrote:
Wd40 wrote:Kerala is different from most of India, there many hindus also go to church. Females are more empowered there. Its festivals too are different from Indian festivals. For eg, holi is not celebrated in Kerala.

Kerala is only different in that way that it has an equal share of Hindus, Muslims and Christians ( and a few Jews ) and that it is one of the two states in India to be ruled by a Communist party. I have never heard of Hindus going to Church in Kerala. May be an odd case here and there. And I know as a matter of fact that communal tensions are pretty high out there ( doesnt hog the limelight though ).
Holi is not celebrated anywhere in Southern India/North Eastern India ( not as a tradition, may be as a cult in recent times ).

Christianity started in Kerala? Where did you get this info from? I know there are ancient Jewish settlements from Yemen, Syria, Babylon in Kerala. Are you saying that they took up Christianity even before it spread to Europe?
I meant Christianity reached Kerala before Europe

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christianity_in_India
Christianity was as such established in India even before some nations of Europe had been Christianised.
I have lived in Cochin for 4 years(94-97), so I know it pretty well.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 27 Aug 2013 9:14 pm

The Orthodox Syrian Church is very, very big in Kerala. In fact, my daughter got married in one. The family are large land owners and the parents are here as PR's while the son took up citizenship when it was offered to him while he was doing his NS here (he was a training officer in the SAF). Bid Dude who like to play with kettleballs of the 25 kg size). They no long plant on the plantation as since the elephants were made untouchable there, they completely ransacked the Palms, Rubber and pineapple fields. It's a beautiful state though and they have the highest educational levels in all of India as well.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

bloodhound123
Regular
Regular

Post by bloodhound123 » Tue, 27 Aug 2013 9:32 pm

Wd40 wrote:
bloodhound123 wrote:

I meant Christianity reached Kerala before Europe

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christianity_in_India
Christianity was as such established in India even before some nations of Europe had been Christianised.
I have lived in Cochin for 4 years(94-97), so I know it pretty well.
Interesting! Never bothered to read about the advent of Christianity in India.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 28 Aug 2013 11:13 am

bloodhound123 wrote:Pork is the staple food for the natives of Coorg ( in Karnataka ).
And parts of Andra Pradesh, where they consider Pork to be a recommended meat for those suffering from certain stomach ailment :)