Singapore Expats Forum

Social Visit Pass (SVP)

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

Social Visit Pass (SVP)

Postby Guest » Thu, 30 Dec 2004 11:43 am

Hello guys,

I'm coming to Singapore in order to take a Job, the application for the EP will be in progress soon but I would like to go ahead and move to Singapore already in order to arrange accmmodations and get to know a little about the place...

I understand that the EP may take a month or so to get issued and I am from a country which does not need a visa to enter as a tourist. However this visa is only valid for 14-30 days, right?

Can the company apply for a SVP while I am in country as a Tourist? What is the correct/best procedure in this case?

Thanks a lot!

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Thu, 30 Dec 2004 9:26 pm

If you are coming in by air from a non-visa country (the US or the UK, for example), you will get a 90 day social pass stamp in your passport (which must be good for at least 6 months).

If you are approaching the end of your pass, you can either leave the country (some say for more than 48 hours, although I just took a day long golf outing to Ria Bintan), and when you return your passport will be stamped for another 90 days.

Or, you can extend your social pass as explained at the websites below.

EP's are taking about two to three weeks if all documents are in order and the employer has made a timely submission.

http://app.ica.gov.sg/travellers/whilst ... n_stay.asp

http://app.ica.gov.sg/serv_visitor/soci ... it_app.asp

jpatokal

Postby jpatokal » Thu, 30 Dec 2004 9:30 pm

The Social Visit Pass is the 14-30 day thing you get stamped in your passport on arrival. You can renew it a few times just by popping into Malaysia and back.

Note that your EP can be processed (or start processing) before you come to Singapore, and this is highly recommended -- it would kinda suck to find an apartment and settle down only to hear your permit has been denied.

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Fri, 31 Dec 2004 8:38 am

jpatokal wrote:The Social Visit Pass is the 14-30 day thing you get stamped in your passport on arrival. You can renew it a few times just by popping into Malaysia and back.

So, why is it my passport has been stamped that I am permitted to enter for "90 days for social visit" the last five times I've entered the country (Feb 2003 to Dec 2004)?

US passport.

Bafana

Postby Bafana » Fri, 31 Dec 2004 12:22 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
jpatokal wrote:The Social Visit Pass is the 14-30 day thing you get stamped in your passport on arrival. You can renew it a few times just by popping into Malaysia and back.

So, why is it my passport has been stamped that I am permitted to enter for "90 days for social visit" the last five times I've entered the country (Feb 2003 to Dec 2004)?

US passport.

Yep - Same thing with Australian Passports.

I think it has something to do with the free trade agreements.

Postby Guest » Sat, 01 Jan 2005 9:52 am

Thanks for the help guys! I'm coming from a visa-free country, but it's not on the Commonwealth, so I guess the passport is stamped for 14-30 days...

I am almost sure that my EP will be issued, is a managerial position on an IT field and I have all the qualifications. I know that doesn't mean much, since it depends on the immigration office humor usually, but I'm optimistic. :D

I should be arriving in January 10th, thanks for all your help! It's been a very valuable source.

Pinky
Regular
Regular

Postby Pinky » Sat, 01 Jan 2005 4:09 pm

Not all 'Visa-Waiver' countries get a 90-day stamp in their passports, most get a 30-day or 14-day stamp (depending on port of arrival). So far I am aware that Aussie passport holders do, and yes it is something to do with the FTAs..

Postby Guest » Sun, 02 Jan 2005 2:31 pm

Depending on the port of arrival? Do you have what would be the best choice then? It doesn't matter to me if I arrive in Changi or KL...

Thanks!

Pinky
Regular
Regular

Postby Pinky » Mon, 03 Jan 2005 2:27 am

Well, if you are not from one of those countries that get an automatic 90-day stamp in your passport, you will normally get a 14-day stamp if you enter Singapore via one of the two causeways (coming from Malaysia) or via Singapore Cruise Centre (World Trade Centre; where the Batam/Bintang ferries call at).

Understand that you will be allowed to stay in Singapore for a period of time not exceeding 90 days, even if you get a 14-day stamp. That is to say that you can get your extensions from ICA (Immigration and Checkpoints Authority), up to a maximum stretch of 90 days. If you fly into Singapore (Excluding Malaysia), you will get a 30-day stamp. Same theory applies here; keep going to ICA for your extensions.

Once your 90-day stretch is up, you need a strong valid reason for them to continue extending and this will cost you $20 (the last time I checked). Once you have paid up, you get a further extension of 90 days (in either 14-day or 30-day 'blocks'). Valid reasons would be waiting for EP approvals, family member admitted into a Singapore hospital, etc. AND you need to show proof of such reasons.

If you need to do a 'visa-run', your best bet would be to fly off to Thailand, Indoinesia, Hong Kong, etc. for a couple of days and fly back in.

Email me if you need any further clarification.

Hope this helps!

Postby Guest » Wed, 05 Jan 2005 5:01 am

That was of a great help! Thanks!

Actually I'm not expect exceeding 90 day since I'll be applying for the EP within a week or so when I'm in Singapore. I'm just waiting for some papers from my previous employers in order to do the application.

I was just concerned about the timing of the process and the visa, but since it can be extended up to 90 days, that should be more than enough!

Thanks a lot again!

Pinky
Regular
Regular

Postby Pinky » Thu, 06 Jan 2005 12:47 am

No worries,

All the best!