Singapore Expats Forum

Shopping help

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Webchimp

Shopping help

Postby Webchimp » Thu, 30 Dec 2004 10:48 am

Hi, wondered if any of you can help me. My dad is going on holiday to Australia soon and he has a stop at Singapore, I'm giving him some money to do some shopping for me, but as he's not got long I've been trying to find some info on the shops at Changi airport.
I can find info on the airport and what types of shops they have, but can't find any sites for those shops to look up prices etc.
I am mainly interested in computer/pda/mp3 player type shops.
Any chance someone knows any of the site addresses, or what sort of prices I'm looking at?

Cheers. :)

seasider
Chatter
Chatter

Postby seasider » Thu, 30 Dec 2004 4:25 pm

Where are you from, webchimp? My guess from your writing style is the UK and, if so, save your money. IMO electronics are not much cheaper in Singapore than the UK, and certainly not at the airport. I think the shops there are a complete rip-off.

Postby Guest » Fri, 31 Dec 2004 12:10 am

Yes I'm from the UK, and cheers, will look at other alternatives

Postby Guest » Fri, 31 Dec 2004 12:17 pm

Actualy, i was looking at the Dell UK and Dell Singapore site, and they are selling the Inspiron 1150 for £600 here (UK) and £400 there. so prices must be cheaper over there.

summertalking

Postby summertalking » Fri, 31 Dec 2004 3:40 pm

hey ya...

i think you should just check out this IT mall, Sim Lim Square...

you can bargain in some shops... :p
plus..
don't forget to ask for international warranty...

or head down to FUNAN the IT Mall..

erm.. similarly the same. just that.. nicer interior..

Postby Guest » Sat, 01 Jan 2005 3:24 am

Problem is, he's only got an hour at the airport, so he isn't going to be rushing off round town.

be our guest

Postby be our guest » Wed, 12 Jan 2005 11:54 am

Hi Webchimp,

Changi airport has a website which includes a list of its retailers.

http://shopping.changiairport.com.sg/shoppingdir.jsp

There's a section in there that allows you to preorder certain items. Alternatively, you can send them an email for a price quote so you know if it will be worth your while get your dad to lug the stuff home.

Happy shopping