Singapore Expats

People say my "baby is cold"

Discuss parenting issues with other moms here.
BedokAmerican
Chatter
Chatter

People say my "baby is cold"

Post by BedokAmerican » Sat, 17 Aug 2013 2:44 pm

Since moving to Singapore almost a year ago, several random people -- men and women -- have told me that my son is cold. He's 18 months old now and usually wears short sleeved shirts and shorts. I'll feel his arms/hands or legs and say he's fine and sometimes they'll disagree.

This usually happens outdoors when the temperature gets below 28-29 degrees Celsius (83-84 Fahrenheit) and it's overcast or windy.

It happened again yesterday morning. I was outside with him and a man told me "your baby is cold." I said he's ok and the man disagreed and said "your baby's lips are turning blue." His lips looked fine to me.

Kind of annoying that strangers think they know more about someone's child than the child's parents.

This just seems odd. Has anyone else been told their baby/child is cold?

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Sat, 17 Aug 2013 3:40 pm

It's an Asian thing. Like wrapping an infant in 5000 layers of clothing in case the baby gets cold. In the tropics.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Sat, 17 Aug 2013 4:49 pm

Yeah, we have been told couple of times that we should be covering up our baby in sweater and socks etc, especially by older ladies in the MRT.

But no one has said that our baby is cold. Do strangers touch your baby and then tell by feeling the temperature? Or just by looking? Its wierd anyways.

BedokAmerican
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BedokAmerican » Sat, 17 Aug 2013 9:49 pm

They say he's cold just by observing him, usually when he's sitting in his stroller playing with a toy or just looking around. Kind of strange.

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Max Headroom » Sat, 17 Aug 2013 11:05 pm

Wait till December. Everyone will be freezing.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 19 Aug 2013 8:58 am

It is the Asian thing, especially from the Chinese parenting back in China, when the climate is NOT tropical.

I think it is more apt that you tell them that their babies are melting under those ridiculous layers instead.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Mon, 19 Aug 2013 9:44 am

the lynx wrote:It is the Asian thing, especially from the Chinese parenting back in China, when the climate is NOT tropical.

I think it is more apt that you tell them that their babies are melting under those ridiculous layers instead.
:lol: I think the locals here kind of over pamper their kids and when the see expats kids from more developed countries, being kind of let on their own to do their own thing, they kind of get a complex and hence give those kind of protectionary advice.

Heck, We notice even Indians who come here, suddenly start behaving in an over paranoid way, in this such a clean country, telling us not to let our baby run with bare feet in the playground or do other stuff that kids normally supposed to do :roll:

The thing that gets us the most is when moms run behind their kids with hand sanitzers, everytime they touch something. No wonder they have such poor immunity.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 19 Aug 2013 10:10 am

Wd40 wrote:
the lynx wrote:It is the Asian thing, especially from the Chinese parenting back in China, when the climate is NOT tropical.

:lol: I think the locals here kind of over pamper their kids and when the see expats kids from more developed countries, being kind of let on their own to do their own thing, they kind of get a complex and hence give those kind of protectionary advice.

Heck, We notice even Indians who come here, suddenly start behaving in an over paranoid way, in this such a clean country, telling us not to let our baby run with bare feet in the playground or do other stuff that kids normally supposed to do :roll:

The thing that gets us the most is when moms run behind their kids with hand sanitzers, everytime they touch something. No wonder they have such poor immunity.
That's a lot of kind-ofs in there! :P

Addadude
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Addadude » Mon, 19 Aug 2013 10:30 am

Imagine what they'd make of the way Swedish babies are treated then...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21537988
"Both politicians and nappies need to be changed regularly, and for the same reasons."

Damsel

Post by Damsel » Tue, 03 Jun 2014 7:24 am

Oh yeah. My baby is Swedish and everybody freaked out when hes just in singlets and shorts when its windy outside.

Damsel

Post by Damsel » Tue, 03 Jun 2014 7:25 am

My baby used to nap in sub zeroes too. Babies nap better that way.