Singapore Expats

Advice for looking for work as an Occupational Therapist

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
danjackman84

Advice for looking for work as an Occupational Therapist

Post by danjackman84 » Sat, 17 Aug 2013 5:42 am

Hi all,

I am considering taking up a relocation offer with my employer, a large international bank from London to Singapore. I want my girlfriend to come with me but as we are not married and do not live together, from what i have read on these forums, there are zero options for me to get her a DP or LTVP.

On that basis we are looking into her applying for jobs directly and getting an EP in her own right. She is about to graduate as an Occupational Therapist from a London university in November, and i was wondering if anyone had any tips or knowledge about the job market for OTs in SG?

I know the MOM includes OT as a 'strategic skill' which they are looking to attract to SG, but does anyone know;

- how common/likely is it for a foreign, newly-qualified OT to be offered a job as an OT in SG?

- is it better to be applying for OT jobs from London or for her to join me in SG on a tourist entry and apply while over in SG?

- are there any specific recruiters/agencies that recruit for healthcare/occupational therapy in SG?

Does anyone have any suggestions for my dilemma as i really want to avoid a long distance relationship but like my girlfriend we both want her to work and not be a housewife for a couple of years.

Any suggestions much appreciated!

Daniel

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 17 Aug 2013 6:49 am

- how common/likely is it for a foreign, newly-qualified OT to be offered a job as an OT in SG?
Almost Zero, I'm afraid.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 17 Aug 2013 9:05 am

I think she may get a job offer as the market seems not really saturated but she will also need a work pass and recently this is not given lightly to fresh grads. Also very recently new legislation came into force (Allied Health Professions Act) and OT is under it. Check if she is graduated from one of the approved institutions:
http://www.healthprofessionals.gov.sg/c ... 9_ver1.pdf

and if there are no other obstacles:
http://www.healthprofessionals.gov.sg

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sat, 17 Aug 2013 9:29 am

She might luck onto some locum work.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 17 Aug 2013 10:11 am

There is a requirement for the fresh grads (on conditional registration) to be supervised by two therapist with the full registration and there are probably not that many private practices looking for a third OT or willing to pay for external supervisors. State hospitals, organizations like MINDS, Rainbow Centre etc. would be a good starting point for the job hunt.

danjackman84

Post by danjackman84 » Sat, 17 Aug 2013 5:05 pm

Thanks very much for the replies.

She has a qualification on the list of recognised qualifications for AHPC and so my understanding is that she would not have to take the qualifying exam.

Does anyone know roughly what the starting salary is for newly graduated OTs in Singapore?

Am i correct in understanding that you cant apply for a work pass unless you have been offered a job by an employer in Singapore?

Thanks

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 17 Aug 2013 6:04 pm

Correct. Additionally, even though a business/company would like to hire you, MOM sometimes (quite often as of late) doesn't agree. Caveat Emptor
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 17 Aug 2013 6:51 pm

danjackman84 wrote:Thanks very much for the replies.

She has a qualification on the list of recognised qualifications for AHPC and so my understanding is that she would not have to take the qualifying exam.

Good, it will make her life easier (without it is also possible but rather tedious). No, no exam.

Does anyone know roughly what the starting salary is for newly graduated OTs in Singapore?

Wifey (ST) says probably anything between 1.7-3k (depending on the place) but I would not really be bothered with this since you will provide the accommodation. Just focus on getting her, her foot in. If you want to be together it is better for her to work for 1.7k in a public hospital where IMHO the chances of getting the pass should be higher rather than go for higher salary from a private company with possibly higher risk of rejection. General rule is larger and better established company, higher chances of acceptance. Still as SMS said, there is no guaranty of any sort.