Singapore Expats

Where People Are Most and Least Racially Tolerant

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Where People Are Most and Least Racially Tolerant

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 16 Aug 2013 1:31 am

I found some of the findings surprising.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 16 Aug 2013 1:32 am

Right click and open the image in new tab to see all of it. I can't figure out how to resize.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 16 Aug 2013 7:35 am

That tiny blue dot surprises me. It should be a tiny red dot, both in context of that image and real life. :P

My suspicion is people not being entirely honest on answering the questions.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 16 Aug 2013 7:37 am

zzm9980 wrote:My suspicion is people not being entirely honest on answering the questions.
Yup.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

BedokAmerican
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BedokAmerican » Fri, 16 Aug 2013 7:40 am

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wor ... countries/

Here's a link to the full world view map.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 16 Aug 2013 8:07 am

I think the same. PC (some of the "West") + fear to answer honestly (Singapore) are probably some contributors. Also, for Singapore, a multiracial society is the only thing they know and as much as they can be racists in many in-direct ways I don't think they are confrontational and active (hatred driven) racists. Different races in neighborhood are just a fluctuating noise, a part of the only known reality, and as a part of the population they are neutral (as opposite to many Western countries), they are not associated with any serious society problems like higher crime rates etc. They are also not considered as aliens - everybody here is very familiar with the culture of the other races.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 16 Aug 2013 8:57 am

Until you have the curry wars, you mean. :o

Locals are so racist on so many different fronts, even after 30 years here, it still boggles my mind, for all their spouting about how multi-racial they are. They are "tolerant" out of fear, as was mentioned already.

The multiculturalism is forced on them by the government sanctioned racial policies embedded in the HDB housing policy where the "mixing" of the races is micro-managed down to the individual housing block. Given their choice they would never buy next door to a minority.

I find that Malays and Eurasians are the least racist of the four main groups here. The curry crowd is just about as racist as the incense burners are and just about a tolerant. Oddly enough, though, you see a lot of Indian males with Chinese females here. But on top of the forced multiculturalism they have a healthy dose of xenophobia as well against all foreigners but more against those of their own race coming from their ethnic countries of origin. No damn wonder the survey said Singaporeans are an unhappy lot. They bring it on themselves.

Are their respective cultures responsible? Their respective religions? I don't think it's the latter though, but I could be wrong. Or is it a depleted gene pool from too much social engineering? :-k

As far as the results on the map? I think zzm is spot on.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

abbym
Regular
Regular

Post by abbym » Fri, 16 Aug 2013 9:42 am

In my week so far in Singapore, I've yet to see any black people here. It's been interesting to be somewhere that I am an ethnic minority (white British) and people definitely treat me differently because of it... Whether it is for better or worse varies but it's certainly helping me understand a little what it's like being in the minority

local lad
Chatter
Chatter

Post by local lad » Fri, 16 Aug 2013 10:42 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Until you have the curry wars, you mean. :o

Locals are so racist on so many different fronts, even after 30 years here, it still boggles my mind, for all their spouting about how multi-racial they are. They are "tolerant" out of fear, as was mentioned already.

The multiculturalism is forced on them by the government sanctioned racial policies embedded in the HDB housing policy where the "mixing" of the races is micro-managed down to the individual housing block. Given their choice they would never buy next door to a minority.

I find that Malays and Eurasians are the least racist of the four main groups here. The curry crowd is just about as racist as the incense burners are and just about a tolerant. Oddly enough, though, you see a lot of Indian males with Chinese females here. But on top of the forced multiculturalism they have a healthy dose of xenophobia as well against all foreigners but more against those of their own race coming from their ethnic countries of origin. No damn wonder the survey said Singaporeans are an unhappy lot. They bring it on themselves.

Are their respective cultures responsible? Their respective religions? I don't think it's the latter though, but I could be wrong. Or is it a depleted gene pool from too much social engineering? :-k

As far as the results on the map? I think zzm is spot on.
As far as I know, the curry incident happened between the China national and the Indians. Singaporean Chinese are not known to be explicit unless it really really bothers them. Even so, they would not be blunt but subtly expressed their displeasure. The government's option of 'forcing' Singaporeans/PR of different races to live together under the same HDB block is one of the ways they can think of to promote tolerance and understanding.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 16 Aug 2013 11:56 am

Agreed but you've said basically the same thing. The curry incident, was between a PRC and an Indian family. They haven't had the "fear" stomped into them yet, so they still say what's on their minds "on your face" whereas most locals are extremely "passive-aggressive" about it because of out and out fear of the gahmen.

abbym,

There are blacks here, albeit not a whole lot. But yeah, coming from the US, I had a pretty good eye opener when I first got here and being in a 180 degree reversed position.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Fri, 16 Aug 2013 12:32 pm

There are a couple of blacks in my office. But they from the UK. I would imagine, you are morely likely to find a UK black here than an American black.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 16 Aug 2013 2:27 pm

Delta Airlines has an office at Singpost Center at Paya Lebar. They have a few women working there that are black and would see them all the time. They're HQ'd in Atlanta Georgia, so demographically it makes sense.

I've actually also seen a lot of older looking African gentlemen in traditional dress hanging around the shopping area at B1/B2 there and just outside the MRT station.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 16 Aug 2013 2:46 pm

There is a cafe somewhere around Mustafa's that caters to, from what I understand, African Blacks and Jamacians. I've never been there or even know where it is, exactly, but there you are. My local wife has a cousin here who's married to a Nigerian. So they are around but travel in their own circles I would guess.

yogaloungeforever
Chatter
Chatter

Post by yogaloungeforever » Fri, 16 Aug 2013 3:06 pm

SMS, could it also be that because they are the minorities that the Malays / Eurasians are the least racist?
sundaymorningstaple wrote:....

I find that Malays and Eurasians are the least racist of the four main groups here.
Life is short hence I live it to its fullest, that is .... I eat and sleep

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 16 Aug 2013 3:11 pm

You mean the majority cannot be friendly? I'm as friendly now as I was back in my own country where I was, at the time, still the majority. Nah, I don't buy it. I think Malays are friendly by nature (not the radicals) and the Eurasians, being mixtures, managed to breed the racism out over the years because they had to fit into two or three cultures simultaneously. Kinda like my kids do with American and Singaporean Indian parents/cultures.