Singapore Expats

moving to singapore in a few weeks!!

Events and gatherings for the 20's Club
hyoogz

moving to singapore in a few weeks!!

Post by hyoogz » Thu, 15 Aug 2013 5:29 pm

Hello everyone!
I am moving to singapore in a few weeks along with a friend
we are mid/late 20s, british males, outgoing and energetic, both used to travelling and working abroad.
Just finished a year contract in Stockholm, Sweden, next stop Singers!
I know absolutely nothing about the place so would like to get in touch with people who can show us the ropes and/or other new arrivals who fancy scoping it out with us 2!
We work very hard so when we're off we like to let off a bit of steam and socialize as much as possible! Restaurants, drinks, day trips, sports clubs, up for anything.
Also keen to hear advice about life out there, it's hard to imagine sat in London!
Please get in touch if you fancy meeting up in a few weeks,
best wishes, Hugo

jajarules

Fellas!

Post by jajarules » Thu, 15 Aug 2013 10:04 pm

What's up Hugo and friend!
(who says fellas...)

I'm new to this forum hence the giddiness!
and it's awful the way the keep count how many people are snobs.
You guys are gonna have a blast!
Check out zouk out on december
since the xx is sold out.
Hardwell's coming soon!
Sports clubs mmmm not familiar with the ones here
but restaurants DEFINITELY you guys are gonna grow pot bellies here
lots of foreigners soooo you'll feel at home
Cigarettes and booze = pretty steep!
Hope that helps!

Cheers!

U.Wirayuda

Post by U.Wirayuda » Mon, 19 Aug 2013 11:00 am

I must agree with what jajarules said. He had shared a good point on the restaurants and ciggaretes..lol

Anw U guys can always PM me or post it here if u need any assistance on direction or enquiries here. Wish i could help some friends here.

See u guys soon in Singapore!!

hyoogz

Post by hyoogz » Fri, 23 Aug 2013 4:59 pm

Thanks for your responses people! To those that PM'd me I can't reply, soz!! Having a mare with visa still, also trying to sort out accommodation, my company is suggesting a budget of S$ 3000 per month, is this realistic? Can I arrange something from the UK through an agency?
Reckon it's gonna be a couple of weeks still til touchdown!
H

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Fri, 23 Aug 2013 5:04 pm

hyoogz wrote:Thanks for your responses people! To those that PM'd me I can't reply, soz!! Having a mare with visa still, also trying to sort out accommodation, my company is suggesting a budget of S$ 3000 per month, is this realistic? Can I arrange something from the UK through an agency?
Reckon it's gonna be a couple of weeks still til touchdown!
H
Sorting out your accommodation from UK without viewing the place itself is a bad idea. I'd say you should negotiate with your company to give you temporary accommodation (in a hotel) for minimum 2 weeks so that you can scout around and see the places yourself.

$3000 per month for a mid-range condo out of city and prime areas is do-able. And that rent can be split between you and your friend so that's pretty ok. Plus you have the amenities like security, pool, gym etc.

And you need to make 5 posts before you can reply your PMs :P

Have fun!

hyoogz

Post by hyoogz » Fri, 23 Aug 2013 5:28 pm

Nice one pal! Top tips.
Do you think I can get an agent to find something for me?
From scouting around on this forum and elsewhere it seems that most people go that route. I think you are right about the hotel thing. Do you know if evening viewings possible? I´d also need a furnished place, and I´m working on the Sports Hub if that means anything? I think Kallang area?
I have spoken to an agent, he said that it's an expensive part of town! With my budget, would I need to commute there? Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 26 Aug 2013 9:02 am

hyoogz wrote:Nice one pal! Top tips.
Do you think I can get an agent to find something for me?
From scouting around on this forum and elsewhere it seems that most people go that route. I think you are right about the hotel thing. Do you know if evening viewings possible? I´d also need a furnished place, and I´m working on the Sports Hub if that means anything? I think Kallang area?
I have spoken to an agent, he said that it's an expensive part of town! With my budget, would I need to commute there? Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!
1. Yes it is easier for first-timers with no personal local connection in Singapore to use agents to sort that out. You can tell them you can only view in the evenings so they will show you units whose owners are available to have it open for you to view.

2. Define 'furnished'. Some expats refer furnished as having every single furniture possible down to ovens, fridges, etc. While some expats think of that term as to having the basic built-ins and fixtures like fan, AC, lighting etc. Double check that term with your agent.

3. Yes Sports Hub is close to where the expat-y Tanjung Rhu area is (yes it is Kallang area, to be precise, Kallang Basin area). Good thing it is right close to Stadium MRT station, so as long as you live within the Circle line network you can afford to rent farther and pay lower rent and just commute.

TravelBug801

Post by TravelBug801 » Mon, 26 Aug 2013 3:09 pm

Singapore is not like London. Commuting is relative short.
$3K per month should get you a one bedder.
Check out .. Depending on where you work and whether you want to be close to the office.