Singapore Expats

Wireless IP Surveillance Camera

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Wireless IP Surveillance Camera

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 13 Aug 2013 4:59 pm

Anybody installed one of these things. Recommendations? I've been trying to do some research and looking at installing one of these thing in my hall but want something with Pan & Tilt, two way voice and IR and the ability to access from home and my office and phone (can I use a Android/Samsung SII?).

My MiL is really getting frail now and I'd really like to be able to monitor the main area and with pan & tilt operated remotely and with two way comms, it sound like what I need. HD would be nice and the ability to record to HDD (not SD card).

Anybody? (ease of installation would be a plus as well)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Tue, 13 Aug 2013 8:32 pm

i have a axis 213 PTZ and also a panasonic ip camera (similar to a BL-C10A). the axis is amazing! both are pretty old but functional. to set it up so that you can view it on the internet, you need to Dynamic DNS.

for a cheaper option and quick setup, i also use the following...

setup a laptop (because it use less power) and use a usb webcam. install a remote control software so that i can take control of the laptop. i was using msn messenger previously but you can use skype instead.

with webcam, check the software support motion detection. i was using a logitech pro 9000. i am sure there are better ones out there now.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 13 Aug 2013 9:18 pm

Thanks for that! Interesting short term solution using a webcam. I'm not sure which model I have but I do have a Logitech clip on webcam (model unknown at the moment) that I haven't used for several years because the notebooks have inbuilt ones now. Any idea how long a usb cable can be used for something like that? like a 2m extension? Something like that would work for a quick option until I can figure out the best setup with the requirements I ultimately want.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Tue, 13 Aug 2013 9:34 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Thanks for that! Interesting short term solution using a webcam. I'm not sure which model I have but I do have a Logitech clip on webcam (model unknown at the moment) that I haven't used for several years because the notebooks have inbuilt ones now. Any idea how long a usb cable can be used for something like that? like a 2m extension? Something like that would work for a quick option until I can figure out the best setup with the requirements I ultimately want.
anything below 2m, you can get a normal usb cable extension. anything above 2m, you need an "active" usb cable extension.

the remote control software i use is logmein.com. you install it on the remote laptop. so what you are actually doing is to call the laptop using skype, remote into the laptop and answer your own call. voila, you got voice and video!

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 13 Aug 2013 10:21 pm

SMS, I have something like this:
http://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/EasyN-Wirele ... 3a835eecbf

I have never fully tested it, just used PT(no Zoom) and video via the browser, never tried the 2-way-audio, but if you are interested and want to play with it for a few weeks to see what it is worth and later decide to buy one for yourself or not, you may have it - I don't use it at this moment. Hope I still have somewhere the installation CD.

For your application the long term durability of the motorized parts could be some concern as the price is very low. I have good experience with this brand (EasyN) running few of their cameras 24/7 for 4 years already but they are different cameras (no PTZ).

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 13 Aug 2013 10:30 pm

x, will mull this over for the next couple of days and hopefully by the weekend I'll do something or give you a yell, to see how. Thanks.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 14 Aug 2013 10:30 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:x, will mull this over for the next couple of days and hopefully by the weekend I'll do something or give you a yell, to see how. Thanks.
on the same note, does anybody have good experience with the likes of D Link, which automatically emails if intrusion is detected ? I know it works by some contrast difference .. how effective or reliable are these ? these don't need you to worry about DDNS et al .. :)

PS: Saw EasyN too has motion detector, X, are you using it ?

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 14 Aug 2013 10:43 am

http://www.ciscor.com/sys/man_down_alarm_systems.html

have you considered getting her a 'man down' pager she can wear on a lanyard?

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 14 Aug 2013 12:46 pm

ecureilx wrote:on the same note, does anybody have good experience with the likes of D Link, which automatically emails if intrusion is detected ? I know it works by some contrast difference .. how effective or reliable are these ? these don't need you to worry about DDNS et al .. :)

PS: Saw EasyN too has motion detector, X, are you using it ?
Yes/no (I use at this moment a mulicamera system based on zoneminder so the frames are analysed outside of the cameras). The technology is old, popular and for all the models I used it worked reasonably well but it is not foolproof so false alarms happen especially if there are windows and flying insects in the room.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 14 Aug 2013 1:23 pm

x9200 wrote:Yes/no (I use at this moment a mulicamera system based on zoneminder so the frames are analysed outside of the cameras). The technology is old, popular and for all the models I used it worked reasonably well but it is not foolproof so false alarms happen especially if there are windows and flying insects in the room.
False alarm is better than no alarm :D

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 14 Aug 2013 2:15 pm

PNGMK,

Good idea. I'd thought about it, but unlike my mom (whom I did just that several years ago - she's way out on the farm by herself - GPS type unit in case she's out in the fields somewhere) I'm more afraid of the MiL slipping and cracking her skull on the marble floors. That's why I want visuals and sound as well if possible. While I don't really need IR I'd still like to have the night vision for general security reasons. As it's an HDB flat, I don't have to worry about more than one entrance and with the PTZ function remotely operated should handle security okay as well.

Squirrel,

I looked at the Dlink last night at Challenger Nex and did some reading on it last night. All looks pretty good except for the small unadjustable screen size. I'd much rather have a HD camera with at least 640x480 minimum (prefer 1260 x 780). I know I'm going to have to pony up between 100-200 for something to fill all the roles but I'm trying to solve the immediate problem and to be able to use it for general security as well. The MiL is the main problem but there are a couple of other issues as well that will need monitoring. :-|

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 14 Aug 2013 3:57 pm

You may check them out for broader range of low-mid end products and some pricing indication:

http://mediapro.com.sg/PriceGuide.pdf

They are slightly overprised but not too much.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 14 Aug 2013 5:12 pm

Looks like I was looking at the wrong model of dLink. The DCs-5222l fits the bill but a bit more than what I wanted to pay. I was looking at the DCs-5020l but the 5222 looks like what I might go for. The next level I've been able to find with similar is in the $380 range so it defo in the no go area. Thanks for that. I think I might check with Challenger again to see if they are carrying that model (as it's on the way home when I get off the MRT at NEX) and what their pricing is like. Also works with Android phones as well as "i" stuff.

Thanks for the research!

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Wed, 14 Aug 2013 6:51 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote: The MiL is the main problem . :-|

dont we all :D :D :D

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 14 Aug 2013 10:38 pm

ain't it the truth! ](*,)

x9200, I picked up the Dlink DCS5222L on the way home tonight. Will have a look at it tomorrow (RC meeting this evening so didn't have any time). One of our members installed the same model 3 months ago and say its very nice and probably worth the cost. Will see tomorrow after work.