Singapore Expats

Singapore Resume Templates / Expectations

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
g-shock

Post by g-shock » Sun, 18 Aug 2013 1:15 am

lol chillax, not an advert. I have the hardcopy notes to pass around for sharing. It mentions the points that people should have in their resume / cv. Could show it to you if you wanted.

Edit: the notes are from Citibank (disclaimer) not by me.

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Sun, 18 Aug 2013 8:56 pm

g-shock wrote:lol chillax, not an advert. I have the hardcopy notes to pass around for sharing. It mentions the points that people should have in their resume / cv. Could show it to you if you wanted.

In which case, surely they are the property of Citi and therefore should not be passed to any third party without permission?
Be careful what you wish for

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 18 Aug 2013 10:00 pm

Mi Amigo wrote:
g-shock wrote:lol chillax, not an advert. I have the hardcopy notes to pass around for sharing. It mentions the points that people should have in their resume / cv. Could show it to you if you wanted.

In which case, surely they are the property of Citi and therefore should not be passed to any third party without permission?
You expect someone in Singapore to understand the concept of IP theft and plagiarism?

g-shock

Post by g-shock » Sun, 18 Aug 2013 10:35 pm

Hence the reason why i am offering it in hardcopy and not scanning and uploading it in a website. I am perfectly clear that it's Citibank's material and the reason they distributed it was to help people out with their resumes.

Edit: It's the same thing as borrowing a book from a friend. [I am just trying to do these people a favor, not to do myself a disfavor by going against any laws.]

Simply put, if everyone were to use the format by Citi, it would help their HR in sieving out talents as well. Citi is a bank and not some resume consultancy company. They dont do this as a living.

Edit: Also, it was free material that Citibank distributed at a resume sharing workshop for pointers that applicants should look out for. There were no terms and conditions attached when they gave us these materials.
Last edited by g-shock on Sun, 18 Aug 2013 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

g-shock

Post by g-shock » Sun, 18 Aug 2013 10:37 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Mi Amigo wrote:

You expect someone in Singapore to understand the concept of IP theft and plagiarism?
I am sure i understand it better than you. I don't see why the discrimination against Singaporeans or people living in Singapore and I hope you take the time to read my explanation since i just explained myself in the post above.

brian_singapore
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by brian_singapore » Mon, 19 Aug 2013 7:45 am

beppi wrote:He asked what is the norm, not what makes sense.
Wellll .... yes - but advice on when to follow the nor and when not would be appreciated.

I'm looking for advice on customizing my singapore CV(s) so they won't be auto-rejected because they don't have key elements that are expected (beyond matching the job).

Thanks everyone for the posts. Really appreciated the help.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 19 Aug 2013 8:40 am

g-shock wrote:
PNGMK wrote:
Mi Amigo wrote: In which case, surely they are the property of Citi and therefore should not be passed to any third party without permission?
I am sure i understand it better than you. I don't see why the discrimination against Singaporeans or people living in Singapore and I hope you take the time to read my explanation since i just explained myself in the post above.
As a peer reviewed author of numerous papers and the holder of patents and a global worker I can assure you I have seen far more plagiarism in Singapore than my home country.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 19 Aug 2013 9:10 am

g-shock wrote:Hence the reason why i am offering it in hardcopy and not scanning and uploading it in a website. I am perfectly clear that it's Citibank's material and the reason they distributed it was to help people out with their resumes.

Depending on the number of copies you handed over it can be exactly the same.

Edit: It's the same thing as borrowing a book from a friend. [I am just trying to do these people a favor, not to do myself a disfavor by going against any laws.]

Are these the materials already published or they are just internal documents of the Citibank?

Simply put, if everyone were to use the format by Citi, it would help their HR in sieving out talents as well. Citi is a bank and not some resume consultancy company. They dont do this as a living.

Edit: Also, it was free material that Citibank distributed at a resume sharing workshop for pointers that applicants should look out for. There were no terms and conditions attached when they gave us these materials.

IP is protected by law without any disclaimer nor any formal action of the authors to enable the protection necessary. Citibank has right to distribute it as they are the owners of the IP. You are not.

g-shock

Post by g-shock » Mon, 19 Aug 2013 8:05 pm

x9200 wrote:
g-shock wrote:Hence the reason why i am offering it in hardcopy and not scanning and uploading it in a website. I am perfectly clear that it's Citibank's material and the reason they distributed it was to help people out with their resumes.

Depending on the number of copies you handed over it can be exactly the same.

Are these the materials already published or they are just internal documents of the Citibank?

IP is protected by law without any disclaimer nor any formal action of the authors to enable the protection necessary. Citibank has right to distribute it as they are the owners of the IP. You are not.
Let me just do a quick clarification here. I can assure you all that I am neither offering any services related to resume writing nor attempting to profit off these notes. My intention was merely to share the notes with members on the forum. Evidently this sharing has raised questions regarding IP rights and plagiarism, and since there been such concerns the sharing will no longer be available.

g-shock

Post by g-shock » Mon, 19 Aug 2013 8:11 pm

As a peer reviewed author of numerous papers and the holder of patents and a global worker I can assure you I have seen far more plagiarism in Singapore than my home country.[/quote]

Thank you for sharing your notable credentials. I am sure then that you have more knowledge than me on the subject. I am not trying to take credit from Citi nor profiteering off it, i hope you take a step back and see where i am coming from and the reasons why i am sharing these notes. It's one thing to know about plagiarism and another when you apply it and accuse others of plagiarism without considering the circumstances.

I do not wish to generate any more debate on this issue and hence i will stop sharing the hardcopy of the notes.

Thank you for your feedback.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 20 Aug 2013 9:00 am

g-shock wrote:Let me just do a quick clarification here. I can assure you all that I am neither offering any services related to resume writing nor attempting to profit off these notes. My intention was merely to share the notes with members on the forum. Evidently this sharing has raised questions regarding IP rights and plagiarism, and since there been such concerns the sharing will no longer be available.
I can belive you but the only difference comparing to the profit gaining use may be the severity of the punishment. For profit or not it is still a criminal offense to distribute (publish) IP protected materials without the permission of the (c) holder. I doubt in a case like this anybody will be after you, but just consider.

kookaburrah
Regular
Regular

Post by kookaburrah » Wed, 21 Aug 2013 11:08 am

I really don't understand why people will always rather mistrust people's intentions here, than take their statements at face value.

We're talking about a piddling document on CV writing tips, not the launch codes. Surely we can reserve the sanctimony of our high horses for more appropriate occasions.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 21 Aug 2013 11:12 am

kookaburrah wrote:I really don't understand why people will always rather mistrust people's intentions here, than take their statements at face value.

We're talking about a piddling document on CV writing tips, not the launch codes. Surely we can reserve the sanctimony of our high horses for more appropriate occasions.
I think this forum has had issues with accusations about IP theft in it's past. Hence the sensitivity.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 21 Aug 2013 11:40 am

It's hardly about intentions mistrust. I have no problem with giving the credit. Criminal conviction can mess up somebody's life pretty seriously so even if the likelihood is low I'd rather step in. Surely it is more convenient just to ignore.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 21 Aug 2013 12:05 pm

PNGMK wrote:
kookaburrah wrote:I really don't understand why people will always rather mistrust people's intentions here, than take their statements at face value.

I think this forum has had issues with accusations about IP theft in it's past. Hence the sensitivity.
^^This.

This is why we cannot post any cut & pastes or even URL links to anything that is produced or owned by Singapore Press Holdings. Commonly referred to as the daily birdcage liner. The Admins were sent a legal cease & desist order. Therefore we ARE sensitive about IP theft here. Please understand.

SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers