Singapore Expats Forum

Singapore Resume Templates / Expectations

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

brian_singapore
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 312
Joined: Mon, 29 Jul 2013

Singapore Resume Templates / Expectations

Postby brian_singapore » Tue, 13 Aug 2013 3:34 am

Hi,

I'm hoping I'm not going to be flamed for this question. I surely thought it would have been covered adequately in the forums, but perhaps I'm not searching properly or more likely the search terms are simply too generic and end up hitting a vast quantity of the threads across this forum.

I'm looking for a template for a Singapore resume. I've done some searching on recruitment sites, on google and using the search functionality for this forum. I've heard Singaporean companies usually expect things like a photo, details on citizenship, ethnicity, religion etc. I've seen examples of this on CVs from other countries in the region. I'm looking for the specific norms for Singapore.

Most of the recruitment sites give general tips but not a specific format or listing of what is expected. Most templates I've found online don't contain any of the above information and look no different from western style (CAD/US) CVs. I'm not sure if this is because the expectations are essentially the same and I'm the one out of the loop, or I'm not coming across the correct information.

Could someone help me out and either point me to a good template or at least provide a listing of what would be expected?

Edit: Completed a paragraph

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5239
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Midgar

Re: Singapore Resume Templates / Expectations

Postby the lynx » Tue, 13 Aug 2013 9:54 am

brian_singapore wrote:Hi,

I'm hoping I'm not going to be flamed for this question. I surely thought it would have been covered adequately in the forums, but perhaps I'm not searching properly or more likely the search terms are simply too generic and end up hitting a vast quantity of the threads across this forum.

I'm looking for a template for a Singapore resume. I've done some searching on recruitment sites, on google and using the search functionality for this forum. I've heard Singaporean companies usually expect things like a photo, details on citizenship, ethnicity, religion etc. I've seen examples of this on CVs from other countries in the region. I'm looking for the specific norms for Singapore.

Most of the recruitment sites give general tips but not a specific format or listing of what is expected. Most templates I've found online don't contain any of the above information and look no different from western style (CAD/US) CVs. I'm not sure if this is because the expectations are essentially the same and I'm the one out of the loop, or I'm not coming across the correct information.

Could someone help me out and either point me to a good template or at least provide a listing of what would be expected?

Edit: Completed a paragraph


To start, a regular format of CV/resume (like the ones you see used in Europe, North America and Australia) will do in Singapore, with minor points.

1. Any MNC worth its salt based in Singapore will not bother to ask for anything outside of regular CV/resume format.

2. All SMEs (especially run by locals or Asian PRs) will always have to ask for you to include your photo, gender and nationality. Religion, sexual orientation, height/weight, vital stats are unnecessary unless you're into modelling or ministerial roles.

3. Unless specified otherwise, there is no strict rule on how long your CV/resume should be or how detailed it should be. Recruiters usually ask for only 2-page ones but HRs normally wouldn't care. As long as the important information is inside (education, experience, skills).

PNGMK
Director
Director
Posts: 4895
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013

Postby PNGMK » Tue, 13 Aug 2013 10:13 am

The photo is so that HR can practice ageism, sexism, racial and religious discrimination without actually appearing to do so.

brian_singapore
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 312
Joined: Mon, 29 Jul 2013

Postby brian_singapore » Tue, 13 Aug 2013 10:29 am

PNGMK wrote:The photo is so that HR can practice ageism, sexism, racial and religious discrimination without actually appearing to do so.


Yep understand the use of the photo, but also that in some countries without one, your CV will also be discarded :-p.

My photo looks surprisingly like Tom Cruise ;-)

brian_singapore
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 312
Joined: Mon, 29 Jul 2013

Re: Singapore Resume Templates / Expectations

Postby brian_singapore » Tue, 13 Aug 2013 10:30 am

the lynx wrote:To start, a regular format of CV/resume (like the ones you see used in Europe, North America and Australia) will do in Singapore, with minor points.

1. Any MNC worth its salt based in Singapore will not bother to ask for anything outside of regular CV/resume format.

2. All SMEs (especially run by locals or Asian PRs) will always have to ask for you to include your photo, gender and nationality. Religion, sexual orientation, height/weight, vital stats are unnecessary unless you're into modelling or ministerial roles.

3. Unless specified otherwise, there is no strict rule on how long your CV/resume should be or how detailed it should be. Recruiters usually ask for only 2-page ones but HRs normally wouldn't care. As long as the important information is inside (education, experience, skills).


Thanks, this was very useful.

beppi
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1751
Joined: Thu, 07 Sep 2006
Location: Ahlongistan (O$P$)

Postby beppi » Tue, 13 Aug 2013 5:41 pm

You can also include your current salary and salary expectation if offered the job. They will ask you that anyway, so it saves time to put it into your CV.

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10468
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Tue, 13 Aug 2013 9:07 pm

beppi wrote:You can also include your current salary and salary expectation if offered the job. They will ask you that anyway, so it saves time to put it into your CV.


VERY bad advice... unless you are applying to be a clerk at at 7-11 store.

User avatar
BillyB
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1807
Joined: Fri, 23 Jul 2010
Location: My laptop

Re: Singapore Resume Templates / Expectations

Postby BillyB » Tue, 13 Aug 2013 10:32 pm

brian_singapore wrote:Hi,

I'm hoping I'm not going to be flamed for this question. I surely thought it would have been covered adequately in the forums, but perhaps I'm not searching properly or more likely the search terms are simply too generic and end up hitting a vast quantity of the threads across this forum.

I'm looking for a template for a Singapore resume. I've done some searching on recruitment sites, on google and using the search functionality for this forum. I've heard Singaporean companies usually expect things like a photo, details on citizenship, ethnicity, religion etc. I've seen examples of this on CVs from other countries in the region. I'm looking for the specific norms for Singapore.

Most of the recruitment sites give general tips but not a specific format or listing of what is expected. Most templates I've found online don't contain any of the above information and look no different from western style (CAD/US) CVs. I'm not sure if this is because the expectations are essentially the same and I'm the one out of the loop, or I'm not coming across the correct information.

Could someone help me out and either point me to a good template or at least provide a listing of what would be expected?

Edit: Completed a paragraph


Attach a picture with your wangers hanging out and you've got yourself a guaranteed interview......

.........ooops, sorry, Brain. Better book in for that sex change op........

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5239
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Midgar

Postby the lynx » Wed, 14 Aug 2013 8:32 am

Strong Eagle wrote:
beppi wrote:You can also include your current salary and salary expectation if offered the job. They will ask you that anyway, so it saves time to put it into your CV.


VERY bad advice... unless you are applying to be a clerk at at 7-11 store.


Agreed.

To add, I have seen countless of CVs and resumes sent by especially Malaysians and Singaporeans which included these two voluntarily. Just because it is a norm among the majority, it doesn't make it right either. I doubt it helps the job seeker but it certainly helps the hiring managers!

beppi
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1751
Joined: Thu, 07 Sep 2006
Location: Ahlongistan (O$P$)

Postby beppi » Wed, 14 Aug 2013 3:11 pm

He asked what is the norm, not what makes sense.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34333
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 14 Aug 2013 3:49 pm

the lynx wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:
beppi wrote:You can also include your current salary and salary expectation if offered the job. They will ask you that anyway, so it saves time to put it into your CV.


VERY bad advice... unless you are applying to be a clerk at at 7-11 store.


Agreed.

To add, I have seen countless of CVs and resumes sent by especially Malaysians and Singaporeans which included these two voluntarily. Just because it is a norm among the majority, it doesn't make it right either. I doubt it helps the job seeker but it certainly helps the hiring managers!


Yep.

Oh, two other things. Happy belated birthday and welcome back from Laos! :wink:

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5239
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Midgar

Postby the lynx » Wed, 14 Aug 2013 4:02 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
the lynx wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:
beppi wrote:You can also include your current salary and salary expectation if offered the job. They will ask you that anyway, so it saves time to put it into your CV.


VERY bad advice... unless you are applying to be a clerk at at 7-11 store.


Agreed.

To add, I have seen countless of CVs and resumes sent by especially Malaysians and Singaporeans which included these two voluntarily. Just because it is a norm among the majority, it doesn't make it right either. I doubt it helps the job seeker but it certainly helps the hiring managers!


Yep.

Oh, two other things. Happy belated birthday and welcome back from Laos! :wink:


Thanks gramps! :love:

Laos is beautiful. You should visit it (health permitting) :) :P

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10468
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Wed, 14 Aug 2013 8:44 pm

beppi wrote:He asked what is the norm, not what makes sense.


Most assuredly, not the norm for professional positions. Only the most junior (and clueless) put this info on a CV. And that includes locals.

g-shock
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue, 27 Oct 2009

Postby g-shock » Sun, 18 Aug 2013 12:16 am

Recently i helped out at a talk at Citibank for writing professional resumes. I still have the notes with me and wouldnt mind sharing them for free.

pm me if you need it.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34333
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 18 Aug 2013 12:51 am

Tic...toc...tic...toc.....


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Careers & Jobs in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests