Singapore Expats

Artic route opening (bypassing Singapore) = End of Singapore?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
PNGMK
Answers: 10

Artic route opening (bypassing Singapore) = End of Singapore?

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 12 Aug 2013 10:40 am

http://www.cityam.com/article/137627054 ... ctic-ocean

Well end of an era.

It really doesn't matter what the PAP tells you - Singapore was founded as a free port and still thrives because of the port.

The ships sailing via the great artic route are cutting 7,000 km off their route.

My prediction is that this is the first real sign of Singapore's century coming to an end. IT may take decades but this is it.

artic - Arctic.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 12 Aug 2013 11:03 am

On one end, it is great to have discovered a much shorter and cheaper shipping route. On another end, it also means that this thing can only work if more ice caps melt up north. :(

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 12 Aug 2013 12:37 pm

It will reduce traffic possibly, but all of that Middle East oil, India and Africa to Asia and West Coast US, etc, traffic will still come through here.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Mon, 12 Aug 2013 1:00 pm

Just think of the condos that could be built where the harbour is.
Life is short, paddle harder!!

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 12 Aug 2013 1:59 pm

In that paper it is said that the first commercial trip but in the opposite direction was made in 2009. If the traffic is going to expand in that pace I don't really think Singapore needs to be afraid of any damage to its harbor industry.

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Mon, 12 Aug 2013 2:01 pm

But surely that route is only open 5-6months of the year?
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Max Headroom » Mon, 12 Aug 2013 2:35 pm

Speaking of condos there, that's exactly what I read the other day: they're getting ready to move the entire container complex to Jurong Island, in the process freeing up that westerly sliver, which will then become residential.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Mon, 12 Aug 2013 3:19 pm

Max Headroom wrote:Speaking of condos there, that's exactly what I read the other day: they're getting ready to move the entire container complex to Jurong Island, in the process freeing up that westerly sliver, which will then become residential.
Good News all round ....
Life is short, paddle harder!!

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 12 Aug 2013 4:25 pm

Barnsley wrote:
Max Headroom wrote:Speaking of condos there, that's exactly what I read the other day: they're getting ready to move the entire container complex to Jurong Island, in the process freeing up that westerly sliver, which will then become residential.
Good News all round ....
Hardly.... what work will we all do when the whole island is condos?

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Mon, 12 Aug 2013 5:15 pm

They are building a new port out at Tuas, a stone's throw from PTP on the JB side of the water. First berth is supposed to Turn-Key around 2020 but currently they are half way through constructing a new phase at Pasir Panjang. They are trying to get the first berths operational by the end of the year.

Pasir Panjang Terminals will stay for a good while yet but once Tuas starts operation we'll see Brani, Keppel and Tanjong Pagar make way for some hugely expensive sea front apartments. It will, though, like HK's old airport, take several years to decontaminate.
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 12 Aug 2013 8:17 pm

https://maps.google.com.sg/?ll=1.457087 ... 9&t=h&z=18

The new bridge that connects the causeway to the MY immigration centre has enough clearance for a ship to get under it if a canal was built.

Accident? I think not.

The Ref
Chatter
Chatter

Blame Boris & Natasha

Post by The Ref » Mon, 12 Aug 2013 11:43 pm

the lynx wrote:On one end, it is great to have discovered a much shorter and cheaper shipping route. On another end, it also means that this thing can only work if more ice caps melt up north. :(
I remember in 2009 when the first crossing in the article occurred this was provided as proof of global warming. In fact, the first complete passage of the North East passage was in 1878 and the passage was used before/during WW2. While an interesting possibility for global shipping, it can only be open a few months of the year. The main reason the passage is not open is a combination of both weather and politics, mainly Russian politics.
(note, this is not a comment on global warming)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Sea_Route

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 12 Aug 2013 11:49 pm

PNGMK wrote:https://maps.google.com.sg/?ll=1.457087 ... 9&t=h&z=18

The new bridge that connects the causeway to the MY immigration centre has enough clearance for a ship to get under it if a canal was built.

Accident? I think not.
Singapore has been trying to stall this for years... if JB builds a bridge that allow ship access, Singapore's port could be in real danger.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 13 Aug 2013 12:25 am

Strong Eagle wrote:

Accident? I think not.
Singapore has been trying to stall this for years... if JB builds a bridge that allow ship access, Singapore's port could be in real danger.
The new immigration centre bridge has the height and most of the stuff in the way of a potential canal has been cleared (old immigration centre etc). Whenever I drive on that bridge from the causeway I look down and it becomes more and more obvious that it is a subtle take on Mahathir's half-causeway - half horse shoe bridge idea (but he discovered he couldn't dig up half the causeway under the separation agreement but of course he can dig a canal on MY soil no problem). I think they've loaded the gun, cocked it, pointed it and have their finger on the trigger.... I'm not quite sure what will get the gun firing tho.

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Tue, 13 Aug 2013 2:30 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:

Accident? I think not.

It is not Malaysia's feeble attempts to clear ships under their 'bridge' that Singapore has to worry about, it's Thailand's insistence that one day it will build a Panama-Type canal right across the country, cutting out Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia to all except import/export traffic which, let's face it makes up a very small percentage of throughput. Every time it is mentioned i simply wonder how much money 'flows' to Bangkok for them to consider what a crazy idea it actually is.

SIR Stirling Moss OBE