Condo Recommendations in Singapore

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
Goldenexplosion

Condo Recommendations in Singapore

Post by Goldenexplosion » Mon, 12 Aug 2013 12:45 am

Hello,
We will be relocating to Singapore with 1 child (3yo).
We previously stayed in the Somerset (Clarke Quay) for almost 6 months.
Things we didn't like about the area were that it was very noisy, cost of accommodation in that area and the apartment was too small for us (1000 sqf I think)
Things we did like about the area were the convenience, water view, closeness of MTR & shopping, swimming pool & kids play room next door.
My husband will be working at Temasek, and found having to transfer MTRs from clarke quay a bit of a pain, but would like to stay in that general area because he's used to it. He was looking at UE square, but I've heard it can be quite loud there also?
Basically our requirements are (quite picky! Lol)
- 2000sqf+ (preferably 3 bedroom)
- high floor with balcony
- either in Clarke quay area or somewhere with easy MTR access to Temasek
- pool, good gym & playground
- and finally looking to keep rent at or under 7000
Any help/advise would be great!!!
TIA

Singapore Property Search

x9200

Re: Condo Recommendations Please

Post by x9200 » Mon, 12 Aug 2013 8:05 am

Please do not post multiple messages with the same content in different sub-forums even if nobody responded to your first message.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 12 Aug 2013 9:45 am

With your requirement, I'd suggest you to live along East Coast where you can take bus 36 directly to Temasek Boulevard.

Close to East Coast Parkway (water), plenty of condos (and even more under way), with amenities (pool, gym, playground - either in condo itself or surrounding), even parks and park connectors, you can get large condo unit from older properties.

Clarke Quay is a bad option if you want all of the above. Basically it is within the city area so you won't have much space for large condos with all these amenities. AND for that $7000 rent and below!

Rent? I'm not familiar with rental situation over at the east. Maybe the Eastsider regulars like zzm9980 and others can help.

Fortan
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Fortan » Mon, 12 Aug 2013 10:10 am

Have a look at Reflections @ Keppel Bay as well. I live there but in one of the towers. You would want to have a look at the villas as they are called. Amazing condo, quiet, always a breeze from the ocean and it is new. If you choose a condo on the East Coast and are looking for something big (sqm) then you will most likely end up in something older.... I viewed a lot of properties, probably around 25 before deciding to go for Reflections and we just love it. Everyone to their own taste though but go view it as it is something special, pehaps you like it. Rent for 3 bedroom in the villas is ranging from 7,100-7,500.

FaeLLe
Chatter
Chatter

Post by FaeLLe » Tue, 13 Aug 2013 12:26 pm

Check out some condominum's on Guillemard Road.

Close to Green Line (Paya Lebar), Circle line for easy commute to Suntec (Promenade or Esplanade).

There are also direct buses to and fro Suntec / Shenton Way (70, 70M) and CBD area near City Hall and Clarke Quay (9, 197). One of these buses also goes till Orchard.

If you want to take cab it will be only 6 Km by taxi too.

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Tue, 13 Aug 2013 1:24 pm

Also, Tanjong Rhu area may be good for you, there are plenty of condos around there at varying prices, 3 beds start about $4.5K in the likes of Waterplace and Sanctuary Green, Costa Rhu and Pebble Bay are a little dearer but bigger units and somewhere like Camelot is crazy expensive!

The travel to Suntec is easily available from Stadium MRT (2 stops) which is just a walk over a bridge.

Also, they are building the large Sports hub opening in 2014 and there is a ton of stuff to do around Kallang and surrounding area, including a cycle track from Tanjong Rhu to Marina Barrage and Gardens by the Bay East.

Loads further down East Coast, but, you are then restricted to buses as there is currently no trains running down most of it.

Good luck!
nutnut

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 13 Aug 2013 3:55 pm

FaeLLe wrote:Check out some condominum's on Guillemard Road.
Given their budget and stated preferences, I'd recommend against that area. It may tick all of the boxes for the items on their list, but that's the border of Geylang. I suspect the neighborhood's aesthetics and 'charms' won't be to their liking. Probably better for a younger couple on more of a strict budget, or not as concerned about the seediness nearby.

FaeLLe
Chatter
Chatter

Post by FaeLLe » Tue, 13 Aug 2013 5:05 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
FaeLLe wrote:Check out some condominum's on Guillemard Road.
Given their budget and stated preferences, I'd recommend against that area. It may tick all of the boxes for the items on their list, but that's the border of Geylang. I suspect the neighborhood's aesthetics and 'charms' won't be to their liking. Probably better for a younger couple on more of a strict budget, or not as concerned about the seediness nearby.
The ones near the higher numbered Lorong's have no such issue or shadiness...

In fact quite a few good ones like Waterina that are near Paya Lebar might set them back almost quite near their budget for a 3 bedroom place.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 13 Aug 2013 7:59 pm

FaeLLe wrote: The ones near the higher numbered Lorong's have no such issue or shadiness...

In fact quite a few good ones like Waterina that are near Paya Lebar might set them back almost quite near their budget for a 3 bedroom place.
I'm very familiar with the area, and I still don't think it is somewhere an expat family with a small child would be happy with.

If you're in the Waterina at ~Lorong 40 or up, you're ~500m from Lorong 24, which is an open air third world meat market. Anything west of their is the same. The bars along Geylang Rd, even in the 40s, are still 'working girl' bars. If you go to City Plaza, that's where most of those girls sleep eat and shop by day. Don't even bother to try to go to City Plaza on a weekend, you'll be mobbed by foreign workers of all professions. Really, the location is only good if you stay in the condo and only ever venture with the kid to the MRT station, or along the river trail.

IF they didn't have the kid, I'd second your recommendation.

And cost of a unit in Singapore is only correlated to quality or desirability in the landlord's perverted mind. Plenty of places go for a lot more, and sit empty or are snapped up by poor clueless expats swindled by "their" agent pushing them and spewing lies.

caonamhai

Post by caonamhai » Thu, 29 Aug 2013 9:54 pm

At Clark Quay area, you can try Riverplace. It's a big development with big unit size. It's convenient to Temasek by bus/mrt also. Think you can find something fit ur requirement and budget

DarrenOngYD

Post by DarrenOngYD » Mon, 02 Sep 2013 4:14 pm

I agree, Riverplace is quite a good choice. UE square area can't be that noisy by my standards. Especially if you are staying on a high floor