Singapore Expats

Are you obligated to pay cab driver who got lost?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
BedokAmerican
Chatter
Chatter

Are you obligated to pay cab driver who got lost?

Post by BedokAmerican » Sun, 11 Aug 2013 5:51 pm

Here's the situation:

I got in a taxicab at the Bedok MRT and asked to be taken to Bayshore Road, which is usually a $4-$5 fare. The driver, who had music playing, said ok. He mentioned the ECP and I said that's fine (only 1 exit away).

He then went the wrong way on the ECP. I reminded him I was headed to Bayshore Road and he said he was going to Beach Road. He then said he didn't know where Bayshore was. I told him go in the other direction to exit 6.

He exited at Fort Road and looped around and went the slow way through traffic back to Bayshore. He apparently knew where it was. The fare was $14. Since I wasn't sure of the "rules" here, I went ahead and paid the full fare because I didn't want to be tossed in jail or fined for evading a cab fare. I also was eager to get home and didn't want to argue with him and it would've been my word against his anyway.

Was I obligated to pay the full amount? Anyone else have experiences like this?

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 11 Aug 2013 5:56 pm

I'd have negotiated a discount. That's my normal practice. The legalities I don't know.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Sun, 11 Aug 2013 5:57 pm

I believe, you still have to pay him. But keep the reciept, file a complaint against the cab company and then ask them for compensation. I know it sounds stupid. But that sounds like the right procedure, because the driver is representing his company and its the company that has short changed you, so seek compensation from the company, which may actually be higher then the fare.

bloodhound123
Regular
Regular

Post by bloodhound123 » Sun, 11 Aug 2013 6:14 pm

From my personal experience cabbies offer you a discount if they realize that they have taken a longer route. This happens only if you bring it up with them in a not so harsh manner. Most cabbies that I have dealt with reciprocate back in a good manner if we dont go hard on them.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 11 Aug 2013 6:38 pm

^^This.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 11 Aug 2013 7:25 pm

^^same experience here. Only if the driver does not want to negotiate bring it forward to his company or LTA. I recon he will be in trouble if the later happens.

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Mon, 12 Aug 2013 3:37 pm

Since there are not many ways left for Singapore taxi drivers to cheat their customers, they sometimes take a longer route and pretend it was accidental.
They are very afraid of being reported, so pointing this out to them usually adjusts the fare to what you would normally have paid (a friend of mine was even offered a free ride after mentioning he'd report!).

martincymru
Reporter
Reporter

Post by martincymru » Mon, 12 Aug 2013 10:00 pm

You are lucky. I had one driver who called his friend in Chinese 'cos he had never heard of Parkway Parade.

I just got out of the car after 1st traffic lights.

Generally though taxi drivers here ok.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 13 Aug 2013 9:04 am

Wd40 wrote:I believe, you still have to pay him. But keep the reciept, file a complaint against the cab company and then ask them for compensation. I know it sounds stupid. But that sounds like the right procedure, because the driver is representing his company and its the company that has short changed you, so seek compensation from the company, which may actually be higher then the fare.
All taxis are tracked by GPS and the taxi company will know the score, when you complain .. and so will LTA.

If the guy is rude, go to LTA. If the guy seems genuinely lost, do as others say and 'be nice' and unless the meter is a midnight meter, I wouldn't bother for a couple of $ at the most ..

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Post by BillyB » Tue, 13 Aug 2013 10:26 pm

A little off topic, but why don't the drivers use the GPS that is fitted into all / most of the meters?

IIRC, one driver told me it's not widely used because it costs them extra to turn the functionality on? (guess that makes sense from their point of view - why pay extra each day when you can act stupid, take longer routes and make more money).

Back on topic - and more so if you're a Brit - if you aren't happy with the route, huff and puff like a big girl and keep tutting loudly. Generally, most drivers will offer a discount if you keep that up for 5 mins!

Chantikki
Regular
Regular

Post by Chantikki » Tue, 13 Aug 2013 11:04 pm

Lost cab drivers almost always offer me a discount. Recently i had 2 cabs that I called to my house *forget* to turn the meter on. So I had to negotiate a fare. I take cabs all the time so knew the approximate cost. If you have the sg gothere app it will tell you what the cost should be.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 13 Aug 2013 11:12 pm

BillyB wrote:A little off topic, but why don't the drivers use the GPS that is fitted into all / most of the meters?

IIRC, one driver told me it's not widely used because it costs them extra to turn the functionality on? (guess that makes sense from their point of view - why pay extra each day when you can act stupid, take longer routes and make more money).

Back on topic - and more so if you're a Brit - if you aren't happy with the route, huff and puff like a big girl and keep tutting loudly. Generally, most drivers will offer a discount if you keep that up for 5 mins!
Probably because they cannot spell the name of the street that you want to go to.

I make a value judgment... is this cabbie really stupid? If the answer is yes, I let it go... he needs the money more than I do.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Wed, 14 Aug 2013 8:56 am

I've had a cab driver who forgot to turn his metre on AND took me to wrong destination using wrong route. At least he had his senses to tell me that I didn't have to pay for that trip.

sosingaporean

Post by sosingaporean » Sat, 24 Aug 2013 12:38 pm

You can ask for a discount and threaten to report.

I usually don't pay. :P

chaaraard

Post by chaaraard » Sat, 14 Sep 2013 4:38 pm

Are you sure this happened in Singapore? I've never encountered it. Sure ppl here can treat others differently due to colour/ethnicity i.e. bankers smiling to us more often than they would local people; but i've never heard about taxi drivers ripping people off. In fact I have heard of stories about children ripping them off?