Singapore Expats

Shoplifting arrest- Please advice

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
bloodhound123
Regular
Regular

Post by bloodhound123 » Fri, 09 Aug 2013 11:10 pm

You seem like a tourist and not a resident so I guess, for you deportation shouldn't be such a hard thing. Just pray that you are not jailed or something.
If the ICA stamps that he was "deported from Singapore" in his passport he is going to have serious issues travelling anywhere outside India.

bloodhound123
Regular
Regular

Re: 1st time offense

Post by bloodhound123 » Sat, 10 Aug 2013 12:46 am

x9200 wrote:
sunny6634 wrote:Is it sure that I will be deported?
If I recall correctly there was a girl posting here some time ago caught steeling $50, deported and banned.
I read that thread and the circumstances for that crime were really pitiful. IMO she should not have been convicted given that the reasons behind the act - ex BF torturing her inducing her in committing the offense and that fact that her ex BF was convicted for these very reasons. Agreed one could argue that she should have reported that incident to the police asap, but on humanitarian grounds her offense could have been analyzed.

Just my thoughts. I know that the law doesn't work that way as this could create yet another loophole for "true" convicts to walk out freely.

bloodhound123
Regular
Regular

Post by bloodhound123 » Sat, 10 Aug 2013 1:13 am

Wd40 wrote:Why choose Singapore for stealing man, of all the countries? Its so clearly displayed everywhere, especially in Mustafa, in the toilets that jail term is upto 7yrs for theft. I have also heard of a few cases, in mustafa, where the people inadvertently put items that were not billed, into their shopping baskets and while going out the security guard caught and without any further discussions they just call the cops.

You seem like a tourist and not a resident so I guess, for you deportation shouldn't be such a hard thing. Just pray that you are not jailed or something.
The problem resides right in the heart of the Indian law enforcement system. People are first of all not aware of the severity of the crimes and are least enthused into doing so as there is ALWAYS a way to come out clean if caught. This has a huge bearing while travelling to countries where law enforcement is clean and given utmost importance. I have a few Indian acquaintances here who were caught in possession of marijuana in India and came out clean without much hassle. In fact one of them was considering pursuing means to procure marijuana here until I gave him a stern warning of the consequences of being caught doing so.

Severity of a crime is quite varying across the countries too. US seems to be ok with a petty theft ( even if committed on their own soil ) but are very stringent on a DUI, however simple it may be. Singapore however is the opposite. A simple DUI with no aggravating factors is seen as a traffic offense whereas a petty theft would see you being propelled right off the red dot.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 10 Aug 2013 8:41 am

The problem is not the legal system or some local customs allowing the offenders to get away with the theft. The problem is that many people see nothing wrong in doing it. Does OP sound to you as having any remorse?

Interesting reading from our ever favorite TRE:
http://www.tremeritus.com/2011/03/15/to ... singapore/

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sat, 10 Aug 2013 10:04 am

x9200 wrote:The problem is not the legal system or some local customs allowing the offenders to get away with the theft. The problem is that many people see nothing wrong in doing it. Does OP sound to you as having any remorse?

I find it interesting that Mustafa was top of the list... the only time in my life that my debit card has been skimmed was in (wait for it) - at a Mustafa check out. I knew it too! The cashier handed me a key pad that looked like a heath kit affair for the PIN - I entered it thinking this isn't right and less than 5 minutes later DBS called to tell me my card had been compromised.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Sat, 10 Aug 2013 10:13 am

You must take the total footfall into account. Mustafa easily has 10 times more people visiting it compared to any other mall and so the theft per person is not that high.

Also those are only reported thefts and Mustafa has very high security which other malls dont. So I would imagine other malls, ratio wise more thefts go undetected.

In Singapore the law enforcement is different from other countries. Here crimes are easier to go undetected. Its just that the punishment is extremely severe and that deters potential criminals. For example, there are so many traffic violations happening here daily but only those who get caught pay a heavy price and after that unlikely to do it again.

X9200, There are always people everywhere who dont see anything wrong in stealing or molesting a woman if they get a chance. Its the fear of punishment that keeps them away from it.

bloodhound123
Regular
Regular

Post by bloodhound123 » Sat, 10 Aug 2013 10:32 am

x9200 wrote:The problem is not the legal system or some local customs allowing the offenders to get away with the theft. The problem is that many people see nothing wrong in doing it. Does OP sound to you as having any remorse?

OP has not shown remorse but he seems to have had a hang of the gravity of the consequences now. This fear would deter him from committing this again - something which the law enforcement in India doesn't instil in you.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 10 Aug 2013 10:44 am

I doubt it. If he gets away with it by paying some small fine only it may have even an adverse effect and will encourage him to do again things like that. Only inevitability of sufficiently severe punishment will teach the lesson. This is how it works in Singapore and it works well.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 10 Aug 2013 12:00 pm

^^This.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Max Headroom » Sat, 10 Aug 2013 1:15 pm

I'm not sure why you'd need to mention nationality, since it's totally irrelevant.

Be that as it may, OP, if you're just as clueless why you would do such a thing as, undoubtedly, most of us here are, then perhaps you're suffering from kleptomania.

I recall a case where the kleptomania defense worked for a serial shop-lifting young lady that became a cause célèbre of sorts here. They may drop the jail-time, instead just showing you the door.

Then again, we haven't heard from OP for a while. And yesterday was... Friday.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Sat, 10 Aug 2013 2:14 pm

Here's the famous case of a French woman stealing a handbag worth $32,000 was fined $8,000 and also spent a week in Lock Up. I dont know what illness they came up with, but apparently she got a lighter sentence because of it.

http://news.xin.msn.com/en/singapore/fr ... 00-handbag

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 10 Aug 2013 3:23 pm

sunny6634 wrote:Guys I have admitted my mistake and confronted with the investigating officer. This was my 1st and last crime. All I want is to pay the fine and get free. I just dont want to go to jail again.
you mean this is the first time you 'got caught' ?? that's what a police friend hinted to me .. when I casually mentioned this case .. :)
bloodhound123 wrote:Severity of a crime is quite varying across the countries too. US seems to be ok with a petty theft ( even if committed on their own soil ) but are very stringent on a DUI, however simple it may be. Singapore however is the opposite. A simple DUI with no aggravating factors is seen as a traffic offense whereas a petty theft would see you being propelled right off the red dot.
in US, Bruno Mars was caught with Marijuana and pleaded for possession with no intention to traffic or sell, he got off. How does it go in SG ? :D
PNGMK wrote:I find it interesting that Mustafa was top of the list... the only time in my life that my debit card has been skimmed was in (wait for it) - at a Mustafa check out. I knew it too! The cashier handed me a key pad that looked like a heath kit affair for the PIN - I entered it thinking this isn't right and less than 5 minutes later DBS called to tell me my card had been compromised.
You mean Mustafa is skimming cards ?? :eek: :eek:

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 10 Aug 2013 5:31 pm

Probably mustafa isn't but possibly one of their employees is. Wouldn't be the first time. In fact, it is usually an employee, not the company.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sat, 10 Aug 2013 8:24 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Probably mustafa isn't but possibly one of their employees is. Wouldn't be the first time. In fact, it is usually an employee, not the company.
That's pretty much what DBS said when they rang (because I knew exactly where it had happened and they wanted a description of the 'POS terminal operator').

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 11 Aug 2013 12:17 pm

PNGMK wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Probably mustafa isn't but possibly one of their employees is. Wouldn't be the first time. In fact, it is usually an employee, not the company.
That's pretty much what DBS said when they rang (because I knew exactly where it had happened and they wanted a description of the 'POS terminal operator').
I find it a bit hard to believe, I am not disputing you .. as Mustafa has equal number of cameras watching the cashiers vs customers ;)