Singapore Expats

Shoplifting arrest- Please advice

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 11 Aug 2013 11:22 pm

:wink:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 12 Aug 2013 8:33 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Actually, his passport will be stamped. There will be a letter or numerical or combinations code written on the exit chop. The next time he tries to enter Singapore he will be found out. Possibly other Immigration agents in other countries have access to these codes for various countries. Not to sure there, but we do know fact that exit stamps are coded for various reasons, some temporary bans while I would assume other would be stronger.
I've physically held and looked at the passport of someone repatriated by ICA for being 'socially undesirable'. There was nothing special about their exit chop. Maybe they do it in some cases but not others? Next time I visit this person's home country I'll try and take a photo if we visit them.

On the other hand, I have seen hand-written notes with dates and flight numbers on the exit chop for people leaving the country all on their own. No idea what that accomplishes.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 12 Aug 2013 8:36 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I've been on this board a long, long time. I remember when I put out here the fact that Singapore was going to incorporate all of their databases and start and had been using optical recognition software for some time and other here laughed at it. Seems I was spot on with my contacts. The next thing on the radar is advanced passenger lists "before" the plane even takes off from the originating country. It going to happen. Just how soon. The technology is already there, and it just going to be the implementation. You buy a ticket from singapore to another country after you have a violation/record, it could be there at the arrival country's immigration counter as soon as you step off the plane. It's coming, if it not already here.
Which is exactly why I doubt Singapore has any need to stamp the passports. Its trivial for them to track people by their biometrics. I don't think they're anywhere near a universal system of sharing biometric data with any of the regional neighbors (Singapore uses thumbs, HK index finger, for one example), but it would be trivial to periodically share a list of passport numbers by countries of people who should get 'extra scrutiny'.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 12 Aug 2013 8:52 am

zzm9980 wrote:I've physically held and looked at the passport of someone repatriated by ICA for being 'socially undesirable'. There was nothing special about their exit chop. Maybe they do it in some cases but not others? Next time I visit this person's home country I'll try and take a photo if we visit them.
The stamp ink may be special (i.e. responding to a specific wavelength - UV most obvious, dozens of different triggers possible)?

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 12 Aug 2013 12:36 pm

x9200 wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:I've physically held and looked at the passport of someone repatriated by ICA for being 'socially undesirable'. There was nothing special about their exit chop. Maybe they do it in some cases but not others? Next time I visit this person's home country I'll try and take a photo if we visit them.
The stamp ink may be special (i.e. responding to a specific wavelength - UV most obvious, dozens of different triggers possible)?
That is a possibility I suppose :) I meant more like there is no large *DEPORTED* chop, or mystical letters that signify something to the next ICA agent to inspect the passport, like Squirrel used to say about the stamp that just mean they exited at Woodlands.

Anything too discrete or secretive wouldn't be well known outside of Singapore ICA. And if that were the case, why would Singapore ICA mark the passport and not just note it in their computer for the passport number and your biometric data?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 12 Aug 2013 1:58 pm

zzm9980 wrote: That is a possibility I suppose :) I meant more like there is no large *DEPORTED* chop, or mystical letters that signify something to the next ICA agent to inspect the passport, like Squirrel used to say about the stamp that just mean they exited at Woodlands.

Anything too discrete or secretive wouldn't be well known outside of Singapore ICA. And if that were the case, why would Singapore ICA mark the passport and not just note it in their computer for the passport number and your biometric data?
And like the US Embassy, when they reject a visa, they stamp "application received by US Embassy .. " right in front of the candidate, so when the candidate goes to another embassy, the alarm bells go off .. "application received, but no visa ? so the guy was rejected ? oh, wait, let's reject it also .. " :)

There are a hundred way to hide stuff in plain sight .. says me ..

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 12 Aug 2013 2:39 pm

ecureilx wrote: And like the US Embassy, when they reject a visa, they stamp "application received by US Embassy .. " right in front of the candidate.
No, they don't. Or if they do, it's only in very select cases as I know people who have had their visas rejected and they don't have this.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 12 Aug 2013 2:45 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
ecureilx wrote: And like the US Embassy, when they reject a visa, they stamp "application received by US Embassy .. " right in front of the candidate.
No, they don't. Or if they do, it's only in very select cases as I know people who have had their visas rejected and they don't have this.
gee, the few I know who got rejected, did get stamped then :) Or maybe it was their passport that got special treatment ?? :D and that was 7 years or longer ago .. maybe US Embassy stopped that practice then ..

then again, You never know .. maybe they implant a micro-dot (mission impossible tune in background .. )

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 12 Aug 2013 2:50 pm

ecureilx wrote:
zzm9980 wrote: That is a possibility I suppose :) I meant more like there is no large *DEPORTED* chop, or mystical letters that signify something to the next ICA agent to inspect the passport, like Squirrel used to say about the stamp that just mean they exited at Woodlands.

And like the US Embassy, when they reject a visa, they stamp "application received by US Embassy .. " right in front of the candidate, so when the candidate goes to another embassy, the alarm bells go off .. "application received, but no visa ? so the guy was rejected ? oh, wait, let's reject it also .. " :)

There are a hundred way to hide stuff in plain sight .. says me ..
I heard similar stuff said by Indian applicants who tried to apply for visa in USA. Very interesting to note that they are very obsessed with the fact that if their application got rejected, they would never be successful to apply in future or even for other countries, because they believe that these countries share information.

Meh.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 12 Aug 2013 3:40 pm

the lynx wrote: I heard similar stuff said by Indian applicants who tried to apply for visa in USA. Very interesting to note that they are very obsessed with the fact that if their application got rejected, they would never be successful to apply in future or even for other countries, because they believe that these countries share information.

Meh.
Not a myth, but years ago, that's what that was happening .. go to Australia High comm and it will be ditto.. and UK et al .. as long as US said no, even with supporting documents, did happen .. now I don't know ..

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 12 Aug 2013 4:34 pm

I've know Vietnamese, Chinese, and Indonesians who've been rejected and none had been chopped. Maybe it's only done to the Indians to piss them off. Sounds like a good idea actually.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Mon, 12 Aug 2013 5:07 pm

zzm9980 wrote:I've know Vietnamese, Chinese, and Indonesians who've been rejected and none had been chopped. Maybe it's only done to the Indians to piss them off. Sounds like a good idea actually.
And trigger a persecution complex?!
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 13 Aug 2013 9:02 am

zzm9980 wrote:I've know Vietnamese, Chinese, and Indonesians who've been rejected and none had been chopped. Maybe it's only done to the Indians to piss them off. Sounds like a good idea actually.
maybe, or maybe a chop is better than an invisible micro dot tracking device planted in lieu :D :D

Just kidding .. ;)

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 13 Aug 2013 9:10 am

ecureilx wrote: dot
Don't go there

:P

BTW, preemptive strike:
sunny6634 wrote:Hi I am an Indian national in Singapore from past 3 weeks for total 2 months stay, I was arrested for shop lifting offense (total 3 charges total amounting to around sgd 450) on Wednesday (7th August) night, currently I am released on bail. I have court hearing on coming Monday i.e. 12 Aug.

I am ready to pay the fines on Monday itself and want to get out of the case as soon as possible.
The investigating officer is saying he will seek an extension and ask for next hearing and in the meanwhile he will try to going to chambers/legal council and get fine reduced to only 1 charge out of 3.

Could you please advice how can I plead guilty on 1st hearing and what can be the possible outcomes/consequences?
Looking for urgent replies..
sunny6634 wrote:Guys I have admitted my mistake and confronted with the investigating officer. This was my 1st and last crime. All I want is to pay the fine and get free. I just dont want to go to jail again.
sunny6634 wrote:what are the chances of getting free with only paying the fine?
and how much can be the fine looking at the shoplifting of SGD 450?
sunny6634 wrote:It was a first time offense, the total of 3 charges amounts to approx SGD 450.

Is it sure that I will be deported?
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

Kunal187

Result of your case

Post by Kunal187 » Fri, 30 Aug 2013 5:15 am

What was the result of your case sunny?