Singapore Expats

Peculiar usage of words in Singaporean vocabulary

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Fri, 16 Aug 2013 1:10 pm

Barnsley wrote:
singapore eagle wrote:Posting on another thread a moment ago, I was reminded that Singaporean's 'take' meals.

"Have you taken breakfast yet?"
Thats proper English ........

In cricket , both Lunch and Tea are taken :D
Bet you, BA is thinking what an insect has to do with lunch and tea :lol:
Last edited by Wd40 on Fri, 16 Aug 2013 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Fri, 16 Aug 2013 1:11 pm

Barnsley wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:
singapore eagle wrote: Please don't take me seriously.
I meant only to remark that an American's definition of 'peculiar' is vastly different from many other people's.
Don't take me too seriously either. That last person who did (in a very similar discussion!) seemed to suffer some type of breakdown and stopped posting. He was one of the top posting members too :p
I was gonna ask where they went ........ noticed they hadnt contributed in a while.
Yeah, dont mess with ZZM, he will make you disappear :)

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 16 Aug 2013 1:11 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
BedokAmerican wrote: Also, I had to look up petrol. Didn't know that was another word for gas.
I'm pretty sure you're just trolling now. Come on you really never heard these terms in the US?

I think as long as I've been here, the only British-English words that threw me for a few seconds were 'prang' referring to a car accident) and 'digestives' (referring to graham crackers, and that was on this board).
In PNG the local word for petrol is "Benzine" - I think it was adopted somehow by the PNG people from the Germans. Anyways I sometimes still use that word accidentally when trying to ask for petrol which causes a lot of confusion.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Fri, 16 Aug 2013 1:15 pm

Barnsley wrote:
singapore eagle wrote:Posting on another thread a moment ago, I was reminded that Singaporean's 'take' meals.

"Have you taken breakfast yet?"
Thats proper English ........

In cricket , both Lunch and Tea are taken :D
Cricket? :o

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Fri, 16 Aug 2013 1:15 pm

PNGMK wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:
BedokAmerican wrote: Also, I had to look up petrol. Didn't know that was another word for gas.
I'm pretty sure you're just trolling now. Come on you really never heard these terms in the US?

I think as long as I've been here, the only British-English words that threw me for a few seconds were 'prang' referring to a car accident) and 'digestives' (referring to graham crackers, and that was on this board).
In PNG the local word for petrol is "Benzine" - I think it was adopted somehow by the PNG people from the Germans. Anyways I sometimes still use that word accidentally when trying to ask for petrol which causes a lot of confusion.
Haha, happened to me once, while asking for beer in a local food court, subconciously I asked for kingfisher and the lady asked what and I repeated kingfisher. Only to realize couple of moments later, what I said and I had to change it to Tiger :)

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 16 Aug 2013 2:32 pm

Wd40 wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:
singapore eagle wrote:I think that BedokAmerican should be banned from posting on this thread until he takes some proper english classes :D
And what would those be? American English is no less "proper" than British English. It actually really makes me chuckle because I see Singaporeans snobbishly deriding American English more often than I see even Brits (the master snobs!) doing it.
Thats wierd. Indians love American English and they love British English as well, especially the accents.
Indians in general are much friendlier people though. Except for the 1 in 10 Alpha-male prick Indian, they're mostly all extremely friendly. And even then, that alpha-male 10% usually only abuses his Indian peers/subordinates, while trying to impress the caucasians.

At least, my non-PC observation based on too many visits.

BedokAmerican
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BedokAmerican » Fri, 16 Aug 2013 2:37 pm

Someone mentioned "aircon" a few posts back as short for air conditioning. In the U.S., it's referred to as "AC." But it really doesn't make much difference. Same number of syllables.

Anyway, I can tell some of you have had enough of my input on this thread. I'll go away now.

:-#

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 16 Aug 2013 2:42 pm

Wd40 wrote:
Barnsley wrote:
zzm9980 wrote: Don't take me too seriously either. That last person who did (in a very similar discussion!) seemed to suffer some type of breakdown and stopped posting. He was one of the top posting members too :p
I was gonna ask where they went ........ noticed they hadnt contributed in a while.
Yeah, dont mess with ZZM, he will make you disappear :)
As cool as it is what I think you're implying, I think it was just I annoyed him enough :P

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 16 Aug 2013 2:44 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
Wd40 wrote:
zzm9980 wrote: And what would those be? American English is no less "proper" than British English. It actually really makes me chuckle because I see Singaporeans snobbishly deriding American English more often than I see even Brits (the master snobs!) doing it.
Thats wierd. Indians love American English and they love British English as well, especially the accents.
Indians in general are much friendlier people though. Except for the 1 in 10 Alpha-male prick Indian, they're mostly all extremely friendly. And even then, that alpha-male 10% usually only abuses his Indian peers/subordinates, while trying to impress the caucasians.

I've been there at least 30 times... I grow fonder of India on every visit. If you'd told me that after my first 10 I'd have not believed it.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Fri, 16 Aug 2013 2:51 pm

BedokAmerican wrote:Someone mentioned "aircon" a few posts back as short for air conditioning. In the U.S., it's referred to as "AC." But it really doesn't make much difference. Same number of syllables.

Anyway, I can tell some of you have had enough of my input on this thread. I'll go away now.

:-#
Absolutely not! We are enjoying it :)

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 16 Aug 2013 2:53 pm

Barnsley wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:
singapore eagle wrote: Please don't take me seriously.
I meant only to remark that an American's definition of 'peculiar' is vastly different from many other people's.
Don't take me too seriously either. That last person who did (in a very similar discussion!) seemed to suffer some type of breakdown and stopped posting. He was one of the top posting members too :p
Actually 3 pretty active regulars disappeared roughly at the same time.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 16 Aug 2013 3:03 pm

zzm9980 wrote:Indians in general are much friendlier people though. Except for the 1 in 10 Alpha-male prick Indian, they're mostly all extremely friendly. And even then, that alpha-male 10% usually only abuses his Indian peers/subordinates, while trying to impress the caucasians.

I think the same but there are also some angry Indian females out there. I have one such example next door, no hello no good bye, no returning any friendly gesture. I would think it is more about the complexes.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 16 Aug 2013 3:13 pm

x9200 wrote:
Barnsley wrote:
zzm9980 wrote: Don't take me too seriously either. That last person who did (in a very similar discussion!) seemed to suffer some type of breakdown and stopped posting. He was one of the top posting members too :p
A brit, an American, and a "Russian"? :P No idea on the last, but I know the first two are related to each other in the disappearance.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Fri, 16 Aug 2013 3:14 pm

x9200 wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:Indians in general are much friendlier people though. Except for the 1 in 10 Alpha-male prick Indian, they're mostly all extremely friendly. And even then, that alpha-male 10% usually only abuses his Indian peers/subordinates, while trying to impress the caucasians.

I think the same but there are also some angry Indian females out there. I have one such example next door, no hello no good bye, no returning any friendly gesture. I would think it is more about the complexes.
Most Indian females are like that. They are taught from a very young age to be very discrete while interacting with strangers, especially males. They are not necessarily angry as you put it. Its just that they are not known to be very expressive in terms of greeting others, especially males, unless they know them well.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Fri, 16 Aug 2013 3:21 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
x9200 wrote:
Barnsley wrote: I was gonna ask where they went ........ noticed they hadnt contributed in a while.
A brit, an American, and a "Russian"? :P No idea on the last, but I know the first two are related to each other in the disappearance.
The "Russian" and I were working for the same bank. He got a new job with another bank in Singapore and since then he has disappeared.

Not so surprised actually, very few companies out there like ours, where you get to spend so much time on the forum ;)