Singapore Expats

SingPost tops in the world?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
BedokAmerican
Chatter
Chatter

SingPost tops in the world?

Post by BedokAmerican » Thu, 08 Aug 2013 1:29 pm

While Singapore Post probably isn't the worst in the world, I find this "study" a bit tough to believe:

(Scroll to middle of page)
http://newsroom.accenture.com/news/post ... -shows.htm

http://singaporeholidayguide.net/news-3 ... the-world/

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 08 Aug 2013 1:46 pm

...and I'm the king of Neverland.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 08 Aug 2013 2:08 pm

Actually, I find it pretty easy to believe.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Chantikki
Regular
Regular

Post by Chantikki » Thu, 08 Aug 2013 2:34 pm

In Australia if you post a letter before a certain time it will be delivered by the next day. (for capital cities and large towns.)
I don't think Singapore Post can manage that, and in the store the lines are always so long. Not sure what i think of that study.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 08 Aug 2013 2:43 pm

Just how separate is speedpost from singpost?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 08 Aug 2013 4:52 pm

It's exactly what they are talking about. Speedpost is owned by Singapore Post. Diversification and such.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by AngMoG » Thu, 08 Aug 2013 4:58 pm

Yeah, gotta love speedpost/singpost:
1) We'll deliver the package during working hours, to make sure you won't be at home. Actually, even if you're at home, the post officer will often claim you weren't, not having knocked/rang the bell in the first place.
2) We will then put it in a post office that closes at 5pm on weekdays and 1pm on Saturdays, so you cannot pick it up after finishing work. And if you go on Saturday (the only time you can), there will be a long queue.
3) We will only keep it for 5/10 business days, to really screw you if you happen to be on vacation.

And I think Speedpost no longer does redirection, at least that's what I heard.

How they got to the top of this list, especially before UPS which has excellent delivery service, is beyond me.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 08 Aug 2013 5:34 pm

Ok, let's say that Singpost does well in its other non-postal business and management practices...but as a true postal and parcel service, they suck balls--I'M LOOKING AT YOU, SPEEDPOST. And considering it's such a small country, it's hard to mess that up.

Chantikki
Regular
Regular

Post by Chantikki » Thu, 08 Aug 2013 6:37 pm

AngMoG wrote:Yeah, gotta love speedpost/singpost:
1) We'll deliver the package during working hours, to make sure you won't be at home. Actually, even if you're at home, the post officer will often claim you weren't, not having knocked/rang the bell in the first place.
2) We will then put it in a post office that closes at 5pm on weekdays and 1pm on Saturdays, so you cannot pick it up after finishing work. And if you go on Saturday (the only time you can), there will be a long queue.
3) We will only keep it for 5/10 business days, to really screw you if you happen to be on vacation.

And I think Speedpost no longer does redirection, at least that's what I heard.

How they got to the top of this list, especially before UPS which has excellent delivery service, is beyond me.
^^ this exactly, if you can't deliver something how do you top a postal service.... :/

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 08 Aug 2013 9:00 pm

Damn, sounds like a bunch a Singaporean whiners on here. I sure don't know what you are squawking about. I've had several hundred packages delivered here and yeah, if nobody is home they leave a note in the mailbox with instructions as to where you can pick it up. Frankly, if you are on vacation and order a package before you left, it deserves to be sent back if you haven't enough foresight to have it delivered to your work address or a neighbours address. I'll take SingPost over the USPS any day of the week. And why should they stay open late for a single person who may or may not show up on time. You want the package, arrange to take 15 minutes off and collect it on the way to work. That's what I do if I'm not home to take delivery. They ought to give you bunch all Pink NRICs! :roll:

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 08 Aug 2013 9:19 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Damn, sounds like a bunch a Singaporean whiners on here. I sure don't know what you are squawking about. I've had several hundred packages delivered here and yeah, if nobody is home they leave a note in the mailbox with instructions as to where you can pick it up. Frankly, if you are on vacation and order a package before you left, it deserves to be sent back if you haven't enough foresight to have it delivered to your work address or a neighbours address. I'll take SingPost over the USPS any day of the week. And why should they stay open late for a single person who may or may not show up on time. You want the package, arrange to take 15 minutes off and collect it on the way to work. That's what I do if I'm not home to take delivery. They ought to give you bunch all Pink NRICs! :roll:
Just become friendly with your lcoal post master/mistress. Mine knows me quite well now and never sends a parcel back... he knows I travel a lot. Hard to believe you can still get service like that. All I do now is walk in and smile and I get priority service and he knows where my stuff is.

I was a postie decades ago and it's a shite job but one where a customer can make a huge difference on the postie's attitude. Nothing pissed me off worse than yobbos on their front lawns yelling at their that their bloody dole cheque was late. Guess what? It was late - very late for the next 6 months and there was bugger all they could do about it.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 08 Aug 2013 9:32 pm

PNGMK wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Damn, sounds like a bunch a Singaporean whiners on here. I sure don't know what you are squawking about. I've had several hundred packages delivered here and yeah, if nobody is home they leave a note in the mailbox with instructions as to where you can pick it up. Frankly, if you are on vacation and order a package before you left, it deserves to be sent back if you haven't enough foresight to have it delivered to your work address or a neighbours address. I'll take SingPost over the USPS any day of the week. And why should they stay open late for a single person who may or may not show up on time. You want the package, arrange to take 15 minutes off and collect it on the way to work. That's what I do if I'm not home to take delivery. They ought to give you bunch all Pink NRICs! :roll:
Just become friendly with your lcoal post master/mistress. Mine knows me quite well now and never sends a parcel back... he knows I travel a lot. Hard to believe you can still get service like that. All I do now is walk in and smile and I get priority service and he knows where my stuff is.

I was a postie decades ago and it's a shite job but one where a customer can make a huge difference on the postie's attitude. Nothing pissed me off worse than yobbos on their front lawns yelling at their that their bloody dole cheque was late. Guess what? It was late - very late for the next 6 months and there was bugger all they could do about it.
It's the couriers that are the problem. They don't even attempt to deliver the package anymore. They don't knock, ring the doorbell or try to call the contact number given to them. They just slip the delivery failure slip by default even if the person waiting for the delivery is just on the other side of the door waiting for them.

I once had a package to be sent to my work and instructed the guards who receive delivery people to be on the lookout for couriers. The guards never saw a courier.

My flatmate once caught a courier walking away from the door after he noticed the slip appear from under our door.

And it's difficult to befriend the post master if one can't finish a two-year lease through no fault of their own and is forced to move postal zones every so often.

As for you SMS, maybe because they know you're influential.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 08 Aug 2013 9:36 pm

Chantikki wrote:In Australia if you post a letter before a certain time it will be delivered by the next day. (for capital cities and large towns.)
I don't think Singapore Post can manage that, and in the store the lines are always so long. Not sure what i think of that study.
You live in Singapore or ??

Singapore too, if you post before 5 PM, the letter gets delivered the next working day, to the point I have dispatched urgent letters and they were on time next day ...

That's for Postal service

SMS: +1

What I don't like about Singpost is their diversification into selling pots and pans and insurance and what not ;)

BTW, some humour on Diversification ..

http://www.mrjam.org/2011/03/diworsific ... 395e8d970d

Chantikki
Regular
Regular

Post by Chantikki » Thu, 08 Aug 2013 10:36 pm

ecureilx wrote:
Chantikki wrote:In Australia if you post a letter before a certain time it will be delivered by the next day. (for capital cities and large towns.)
You live in Singapore or ??

Singapore too, if you post before 5 PM, the letter gets delivered the next working day, to the point I have dispatched urgent letters and they were on time next day ...

That's for Postal service

SMS: +1

What I don't like about Singpost is their diversification into selling pots and pans and insurance and what not ;)

BTW, some humour on Diversification ..

http://www.mrjam.org/2011/03/diworsific ... 395e8d970d
I live in Singapore. When i first moved here I needed to send some-one some information. I said I would post it (thinking it would be there the next day) and they refused as "sometimes it can take several day." So i faxed them. People have posted me things that have taken days.
What I miss about Australia post is all the different box sizes, plastic satchels, and padded envelopes. It's the hugest range ever, plus all the packing materials.

Don't get me wrong I love Singapore, and i would rank them 1st in many things, just not postal service.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 08 Aug 2013 10:51 pm

Chantikki wrote: I live in Singapore. When i first moved here I needed to send some-one some information. I said I would post it (thinking it would be there the next day) and they refused as "sometimes it can take several day." So i faxed them. People have posted me things that have taken days.
What I miss about Australia post is all the different box sizes, plastic satchels, and padded envelopes. It's the hugest range ever, plus all the packing materials.

Don't get me wrong I love Singapore, and i would rank them 1st in many things, just not postal service.
if it took days, you need to check when they really posted it .. ;)

Quite often, when you call somebody for missed mail, they will say it was sent last week, and then next day you get it, because, they did post it only the day before :)

Been there, seen that ..

Singpost has the next day delivery assurance in post boxes ..

You are talking of local post right ? don't tell me Aus Post delivers overseas post faster than Fedex/DHL :)