Singapore Expats

This is my Story :) Need help on few queries.

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
bat21

This is my Story :) Need help on few queries.

Post by bat21 » Tue, 06 Aug 2013 11:15 pm

Hi Everyone,

Thanks to Google who pointed me to this Great Forum. I am a Security guy from India with 8 years of work experience and recently got an offer letter from a Organization in Singapore of around 90K yearly Salary. The employer have started processing my EP and wife's DP.

I did some research and found that the Compensation pckg they offered me is not that bad....kindly correct if I am correct here :P , I will be moving with my wife only. I have few queries and hope senior members can help me out here.

1) We are expecting our First Child next year in Feb !!! We have decided that for the time being she will not be moving with me to SG. I am not sure for how long the approved IPA letter is valid for my wife. I am fearing that it will expire till Feb , as my EP is applied and will be decided by SG MOM in a weeks time.

2) Can anyone suggest me in which location should I search for my paying Guest or 1 room set near my office location which is Temasek Boulevard , Singapore 038985.

3) I am not sure if Paying Guests are available where the landlord can take care of my lodging and Food. Any hints ???

4) Any Pointers for me for the websites to search for the lodging. I literally know no-one there in Singapore.

Apologies...if broke any Forum Rules :P

regards
bat21

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 06 Aug 2013 11:33 pm

I cannot believe Singapore needs to import security guards. I'm sorry but I can't.

Pal
Site Admin
Site Admin
Answers: 1

Post by Pal » Tue, 06 Aug 2013 11:56 pm

PNGMK wrote:I cannot believe Singapore needs to import security guards. I'm sorry but I can't.
"Security guy" is not a security guard.
Singapore Expats

Home | Classifieds | Condo | Forum | Property

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 07 Aug 2013 12:02 am

Yeah, I'm assuming he's talkin' bout IT security.....
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 07 Aug 2013 8:01 am

IT security who does not know where to find some basic information? In cases like this only WD40 can help.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 07 Aug 2013 8:23 am

Yes, 90k is probably an OK package for Infosec in Singapore. "8 yrs of work experience" is vague so I can't give you more guidance on the package. Did you stare at an IDS console for eight years opening tickets, do you do manual application testing, or have you run a security program? I know people making less money with your experience, and some making a lot more with less experience. It all depends what that experience is doing, and if you're actually good enough at it to at least BS through an interview.

1) Your IPA will have an expiration on it. Most likely 6 months. Your kid doesn't automatically get a DP. You should cancel the wife's DP for now and re-apply when her and the kid are read to come over.

2) Anywhere near that location will be very pricey. Use gothere.sg and find a place near a train station within a reasonable commute for you. Half the island is less than 45 minutes by train and bus.

3) This question reads like a really bad Google Translation. Please re-ask in proper English.

4) This site has a rental section. There are numerous others, just search for "apartments in singapore" in google.

bat21

Post by bat21 » Wed, 07 Aug 2013 10:30 am

Thanks zzm9980 for the Replies.

Yes I am an InfoSec consultant.

I will try to re-phrase my 3rd query.

Here we usually have a concept of Paying Guests in which the landlord will provide me Meals and Lodging and will charge me monthly rent.

I am not sure if in Singapore this sort of facility is available or not as in my most searches I found that I can rent a room in a 2 or 3 BHK Flat which I have to share and have to do cooking myself.

I am not a great cook so was thinking that anywhere in Singapore I can find an accommodation where food is also provided along with lodging in fair price.

regards
bat21

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Wed, 07 Aug 2013 11:07 am

I know that as boarder or lodger. No idea how common that is in Sg.

If you can't find such accommodation you can eat out very cheaply here. Coming from India you will find plenty of suitable dining options.

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Wed, 07 Aug 2013 12:33 pm

bat21 wrote:Thanks zzm9980 for the Replies.

Yes I am an InfoSec consultant.

I will try to re-phrase my 3rd query.

Here we usually have a concept of Paying Guests in which the landlord will provide me Meals and Lodging and will charge me monthly rent.

I am not sure if in Singapore this sort of facility is available or not as in my most searches I found that I can rent a room in a 2 or 3 BHK Flat which I have to share and have to do cooking myself.

I am not a great cook so was thinking that anywhere in Singapore I can find an accommodation where food is also provided along with lodging in fair price.

regards
bat21
You can usually find a common room/master room in a HDB flat that you can rent along with a family. Food being provided to you as a part of the accommodation in this type of arrangement is very rare. Some of the co-tenants/owners may allow you to cook lightly in the house.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 07 Aug 2013 12:37 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:. Some of the co-tenants/owners may allow you to cook lightly in the house.
which means just boiling water.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Wed, 07 Aug 2013 1:49 pm

x9200 wrote:IT security who does not know where to find some basic information? In cases like this only WD40 can help.
I generally advice on salary related matters for people who seem to be worried about getting a bad deal. In this case the OP thinks he's got a good deal and is very confident about it, with the Razz emoticon. There isn't much for me to add :)

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 07 Aug 2013 1:55 pm

Wd40 wrote:
x9200 wrote:IT security who does not know where to find some basic information? In cases like this only WD40 can help.
I generally advice on salary related matters for people who seem to be worried about getting a bad deal. In this case the OP thinks he's got a good deal and is very confident about it, with the Razz emoticon. There isn't much for me to add :)
Are you called Wd40 because everybody else is duct tape? :P

iloverice
Regular
Regular

Post by iloverice » Wed, 07 Aug 2013 1:57 pm

nakatago wrote:
singaporeflyer wrote:. Some of the co-tenants/owners may allow you to cook lightly in the house.
don't forget, the landlord or wife will sit next to you and "time" how long your water took to boil :cool:

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 07 Aug 2013 2:47 pm

iloverice wrote:
nakatago wrote:
don't forget, the landlord or wife will sit next to you and "time" how long your water took to boil :cool:
And you can't keep food in the fridge!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 07 Aug 2013 4:20 pm

OP, the concept of 'paying guest' used to exist long time ago, when foreigners were few and werent' demanding.

now, some landlords do include meals, though they are the rarest of rare now .. and only in cases where the landlord is Indian or so and has a maid. Rest don't even cook at home..
nakatago wrote:
PS: You mean, Instant noodles right ?
nakatago wrote:And you can't keep food in the fridge!
And God forbid you asking to use the microwave and making the kitchen 'dirty' :D