Singapore Expats

Taking A Filipina Girl To Singapore - Tourist Visa

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
ruh2good

Taking A Filipina Girl To Singapore - Tourist Visa

Post by ruh2good » Mon, 05 Aug 2013 3:00 am

I will be taking my Filipina girlfriend to Singapore for a few days. I of course will book the flights so that she returns back to Cebu, while I fly one way to Singapore and then get a one way to Bangkok from Singapore on same day she returns home to Cebu. What I want to know is if anyone has flied with Cebu Pacific having booked for someone else and if they will firstly require the girl to have a copy of my card that I booked the flight with on a piece of paper front and back with a signature affixed on the way back, so essentially would she would require card verification on her return journey? Problem with that is I may very well have a flight to Bangkok before she fly's back home to Cebu, so if they wanted my card at the check I may not be there and secondly I rather not put my card details on a piece of paper. The second thing is what is immigration like at Singapore would they suspect someone who is trafficking a girl to Singapore perhaps, particularly seeing as the return flights are different?
She doesn't have much money in her account so would they look into her finances and ask interrogation type of questions such as proof that I am her boyfriend?

Of course, I could just tell her to book the flight and give her the money to book it. But they may still at immigration as her questions on why she is travelling when she has no income etc. It is only for 4 days, so it will be a tourist visa so would they really be that strict?
It might be too much of a hassle. Is it worth the hassle? I really am not sure. I don't want to be assumed as a human trafficker.

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Mon, 05 Aug 2013 9:01 am

Just my experiences.

Yes there could well be a problem if you book on your credit card and will not be travelling with your girlfriend. I suggest you send her the money. In addition send her some 'show' money in case Philippines immigration decide to interview her. It shows she has the money to support herself.

Your biggest problem will most likely be getting her out of the Philippines. I believe Cebu is a little easier than Manila but that is only what others have told me. Manila is tough, I know that from personal experience.

To add to your problems Singapore is in the spotlight right now due to complaints from the Philippine Embassy about agencies making domestic workers pay for their own hiring fees. Many Philippine agencies are expected to stop sending maids to Singapore shortly in protest. Philippines Immigration could decide your girlfriend intends to work illegally in Singapore and refuse to allow her to leave or that she may be exploited in Singapore and therefore too risky to allow her to go.

If you do decide to go ahead make sure your girlfriend is prepared to be forcefully confident with Immigration in Cebu if she does get stopped and interviewed. The stronger she is and the more insistent she is the more likely they will allow her to travel.

My experiences are based on first meeting my wife in Hong Kong and the difficulties she had with Immigration in Manila and then trying to bring my wife's friend to Singapore from Manila 2 months ago. She didn't make it past the Immigration interview and was sent home.

bro75
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by bro75 » Mon, 05 Aug 2013 9:27 am

AFAIK, for Cebu-Pacific, a photocopy of the CC is needed, but to make sure that this is all that is needed, please check the fine print when you make the booking because this may have changed. For other airlines like Jetstar, you will need to appear personally at a Jetstar counter in any airport to verify the CC booking.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 05 Aug 2013 9:38 pm

bro75 wrote:AFAIK, for Cebu-Pacific, a photocopy of the CC is needed, but to make sure that this is all that is needed, please check the fine print when you make the booking because this may have changed. For other airlines like Jetstar, you will need to appear personally at a Jetstar counter in any airport to verify the CC booking.
This. Aside from any immigration issues, no airline in Asia (that I am aware of) will fly someone on a credit card, unless a credit card holder is present at the time of check in.

For SQ, there is one exception. You can go to an SQ office, have them photocopy your card and your passport, sign a document guaranteeing payment, then actually make payment. You will then be give a document that the person taking the flight needs to carry. It is a mess.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 06 Aug 2013 8:11 am

An invitation letter from the Philippine embassy is also required. NB: you have to pay for it. And brave the stupid-ass long queues.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 06 Aug 2013 8:25 am

Strong Eagle wrote:
bro75 wrote:AFAIK, for Cebu-Pacific, a photocopy of the CC is needed, but to make sure that this is all that is needed, please check the fine print when you make the booking because this may have changed. For other airlines like Jetstar, you will need to appear personally at a Jetstar counter in any airport to verify the CC booking.
This. Aside from any immigration issues, no airline in Asia (that I am aware of) will fly someone on a credit card, unless a credit card holder is present at the time of check in.

For SQ, there is one exception. You can go to an SQ office, have them photocopy your card and your passport, sign a document guaranteeing payment, then actually make payment. You will then be give a document that the person taking the flight needs to carry. It is a mess.
Singapore will tell you "if the card was verified since purchase" you don't need to do this. The only way to definitively know the card was verified is to purchase the tickets online, and see if they give you the "Verified by Visa" (or MasterCard) prompt where the SMS your phone a token to enter. If they do that, you won't need your card.

If you bought the tickets by phone, or used a card that did not prompt you for that online, you'll need the card.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 06 Aug 2013 8:45 am

zzm9980 wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:

Singapore will tell you "if the card was verified since purchase" you don't need to do this. The only way to definitively know the card was verified is to purchase the tickets online, and see if they give you the "Verified by Visa" (or MasterCard) prompt where the SMS your phone a token to enter. If they do that, you won't need your card.

If you bought the tickets by phone, or used a card that did not prompt you for that online, you'll need the card.
This was not my experience. I had to buy tickets for a gentleman from the USA who didn't have credit cards. Even though I have spent tens of thousands of dollars on 40 or more flights with SG, by credit card, and verified through their website, when I attempted to purchase tickets for this man... SIN to KUL, SIN to MNL, I had to perform the process I described.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 06 Aug 2013 9:35 am

Strong Eagle wrote: This was not my experience. I had to buy tickets for a gentleman from the USA who didn't have credit cards. Even though I have spent tens of thousands of dollars on 40 or more flights with SG, by credit card, and verified through their website, when I attempted to purchase tickets for this man... SIN to KUL, SIN to MNL, I had to perform the process I described.
Interesting, OK. My experience(s) have been with redemption bookings, and charging the remainder on the CC. I've bought tickets for just my wife back from Vietnam and she's been able to show up and use them without a problem. When I bought my daughter one, she was too young to buy it online and so I did it via phone. They wouldn't let her get a boarding pass in the airport, and the wife had to buy a ticket in cash right there. After a lot of complaints, the explanation I received was what I described above in regards to verification.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 06 Aug 2013 9:39 am

nakatago wrote:An invitation letter from the Philippine embassy is also required. NB: you have to pay for it. And brave the stupid-ass long queues.
yah right .. and the PH embassy will NOT GIVE YOU A LOI (Letter of Invitation .. ) unless you are immediately related ..

GF/BF or GF/GF not accepted ;)

Good luck on that score though ..

ruh2good: how old is she again ?

And well, there are Filipinos I know who carry their bank statement et al, to LEAVE PH, not worried much about Singapore immigration ..

Has she been overseas before ?

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Post by morenangpinay » Tue, 06 Aug 2013 5:32 pm

you said you will be flying in to singapore so does that mean you are not based here and will only meet your gf here?Your biggest problem is the Philippine immigration. If she has no source of income and she isn't a heiress, then she will definitely have alot of difficulty with the immigration officer.

you can read more here: http://www.philippine-embassy.org.sg/co ... uidelines/

goodluck! why don't you just go to Cebu?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 07 Aug 2013 9:38 am

morenangpinay wrote:you said you will be flying in to singapore so does that mean you are not based here and will only meet your gf here?Your biggest problem is the Philippine immigration. If she has no source of income and she isn't a heiress, then she will definitely have alot of difficulty with the immigration officer.

you can read more here: http://www.philippine-embassy.org.sg/co ... uidelines/

goodluck! why don't you just go to Cebu?
That's a sensible solution .. ;) Though, my 2 cents thought would be, maybe she wants to come here more than he wants to go there ;)

BTW, I found it odd, the first time i saw filipinos in NAIA with bundles of files, as if they are going for a job interview ... till I realised those who get picked up for 'secondary screening' have to show bank statements and all the works ..

Yah, not easy to leave PH .. though a lot others seem to have 'other' means .. no, I don't know nor do I want to know how they do it ..

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Wed, 07 Aug 2013 9:52 am

ecureilx wrote:
BTW, I found it odd, the first time i saw filipinos in NAIA with bundles of files, as if they are going for a job interview ... till I realised those who get picked up for 'secondary screening' have to show bank statements and all the works ..

Yah, not easy to leave PH .. though a lot others seem to have 'other' means .. no, I don't know nor do I want to know how they do it ..
Which is a quaint Philippines double edged sword because the Immigration officers can and do interrogate some of the girls on why they are carrying so much documentation with them and make accusations that they are going abroad to work.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 07 Aug 2013 10:15 am

Steve1960 wrote:Which is a quaint Philippines double edged sword because the Immigration officers can and do interrogate some of the girls on why they are carrying so much documentation with them and make accusations that they are going abroad to work.
well, well . when somebody goes overseas for a holiday, see the requirements ;)

From the Link provided by Morenangpinay :

The Bureau of Immigration shall conduct a secondary inspection of a traveler, when deemed necessary, for the purpose of protecting vulnerable victims of human trafficking and illegal recruitment and other related offenses, through the assessment of the following circumstances:

a) Age
b) Educational attainment
c) Financial capability to travel

i. If not financially capable to travel, an authenticated affidavit of support, indicating therein the relationship within the 4th civil degree of consanguinity or affinity, together with the supporting documents, may be entertained; and
ii. An affidavit of undertaking/ guaranty may likewise be entertained.

And if you don't bring 'em, and if you don't know how to talk, you are deep sixed .. if you do bring them all prepared, then you are suspected of having 'planned' .. well .. you are right ..

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Wed, 07 Aug 2013 10:23 am

ecureilx wrote: well, well . when somebody goes overseas for a holiday, see the requirements ;)

From the Link provided by Morenangpinay :

The Bureau of Immigration shall conduct a secondary inspection of a traveler, when deemed necessary, for the purpose of protecting vulnerable victims of human trafficking and illegal recruitment and other related offenses, through the assessment of the following circumstances:

a) Age
b) Educational attainment
c) Financial capability to travel

i. If not financially capable to travel, an authenticated affidavit of support, indicating therein the relationship within the 4th civil degree of consanguinity or affinity, together with the supporting documents, may be entertained; and
ii. An affidavit of undertaking/ guaranty may likewise be entertained.

And if you don't bring 'em, and if you don't know how to talk, you are deep sixed .. if you do bring them all prepared, then you are suspected of having 'planned' .. well .. you are right ..
Very good point, if you don't know how to deal with the immigration staff you are screwed.

'indicating therein the relationship within the 4th civil degree of consanguinity or affinity, together with the supporting documents, may be entertained' means it is almost impossible to visit friends the filipina needs to ahve relatives in the country of travel. We found this out to our cost with my wife's friend. Immigration refused to accept that my wife and I would support her for a vacation. In fact they could not understand why we would even offer to do so and they told the lady that we would almost certainly expect something in return for said support! :shock: :o

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Wed, 07 Aug 2013 11:16 am

Steve1960 wrote: In fact they could not understand why we would even offer to do so and they told the lady that we would almost certainly expect something in return for said support! :shock: :o
Wasn’t this the same lady you wanted to bring out as live-in maid? Perhaps immigration were onto something here…. :D :D

From where I'm sitting today looks like Friday … :wink: