Singapore Expats Forum

Need advice regarding girlfriend finding work in Singapore

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

Yonex_Ond

Need advice regarding girlfriend finding work in Singapore

Postby Yonex_Ond » Fri, 02 Aug 2013 6:04 pm

Hi all,

I'm a local, not an expat, but my girlfriend is a foreigner currently studying here and her study visa will end in december.

We figured that she can try to apply for a job here, then we can see each other etc., but I understand the government is tightening the employment pass requirements to slow down the rate of foreigners coming in, so it's not a guarantee she can get it.

1) She will be graduating with masters in banking, so anyone knows what's the banking sector here like? Do they hire foreigners easily?

2) For those of you expats who work in Singapore, how did you land that first job? Any tips on where to search? Is it through an employment agency back home, or an agency here?
Because in the papers, most of the requirements state "Only Singaporeans or PR". :(

Any advice would be good. Of course, she can probably get PR if we marry, but that's too soon on the cards.

Tks!
Yon

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

Postby AngMoG » Fri, 02 Aug 2013 8:32 pm

There you go, all the complaints by SCs biting them back...

1) According to a lot of people complaining on alternative news sites, they are the ones most likely to hire foreigners. :P Which, in actual statistics, may or may not be true. In any case, many banks are moving back office operations out of Singapore. If she's looking more into front office, then there may be a chance. Not sure what her masters is worth though, sounds quite generic.

2) Myself - by applying to LOTS of jobs from the usual suspects (monster, jobstreet, jobsdb, etc.). Think about tens per day. Also check websites of big companies, and sites like recruit.net . Networking would also be a good move, though your success depends very strongly on your gf's personality. Forget about agencies, unless you're directly applying to job offers. In my experience, recruitment agents won't lift a finger for somebody who's either SC/PR, or who has significant professional experience.

katbh
Reporter
Reporter

Postby katbh » Fri, 02 Aug 2013 8:58 pm

What a nice dude... looking out for his girl!

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

Postby AngMoG » Sat, 03 Aug 2013 1:25 pm

I also want to add that as a fresh grad, it may be quite difficult for her to get a visa, since that is an area where SCs should come first, and the MOM takes that into account in their visa processing.

Yonex_Ond

Postby Yonex_Ond » Sat, 03 Aug 2013 5:45 pm

Thanks guys! So that means the best solution is for her to apply for a social visit pass, stay here 3 mths, then go back, then apply again to come here 3 months, then go back etc, until we're married?

Btw, if she's willing to do any job, will the MOM take that into consideration?
Like even though she has a masters, she can work as a admin staff or other low level jobs?

Tks!

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

Postby AngMoG » Sat, 03 Aug 2013 6:07 pm

If you are already planning to get married it is possible to get a fiancée visa? I don't know if that helps with MOM, but it just might give a little edge.

In any case, she can only try applying to jobs, and she may well get lucky. You won't know until you try.

Yonex_Ond

Postby Yonex_Ond » Sat, 03 Aug 2013 10:18 pm

Hi AngmohG, thanks for your advice and feedback. Never heard of fiance visa before, but will look into it. :)

Btw, is there such a thing as expats applying for their parents to come and stay in Singapore with them? As in, if a person becomes a PR, then they can get their parents to come here and live with them?

I've heard of expats bringing their kids over and live here as PR, but never heard of bringing parents over. Maybe MOM just doesn't allow? Cos from a logical viewpoint, it means that the local government has to deal with even more aging people LOL.

Tks!

blue_thunder
Chatter
Chatter

Postby blue_thunder » Tue, 06 Aug 2013 7:36 pm

She can apply for internship positions with local/foreign banks which may/may not become a job offer based on her performance.
AFAIK a foreign bank in Sg used to hire under grads from local universities like NUS/NTU/SMU up until 2012 and now they have reduced. Not sure for Master's degree holders as they were concentrating mostly Bachelor's degree holders.
~ I don't want to be a product of my environment, I want my environment to be a product of me

bgd
Editor
Editor

Postby bgd » Tue, 06 Aug 2013 9:08 pm

Agreed she needs to jump on the intern / graduate programmes which the banks offer here. Being at university she will be aware of them as they are well marketed. As mentioned numbers are generally down and the intern roles for this year are already closed but graduates probably not. While many interns often get roles there will always be some roles open for non-interns.

Have a look at bank websites, they will have more info around dates and programmes.

Yonex_Ond

Postby Yonex_Ond » Tue, 06 Aug 2013 10:15 pm

Much thanks guys! :)

Actually the problem we're facing is that she has no prior working experience, and although she has a Masters, it's from MDIS (which, even though has some standing and reputation here, is still not as good as those from the more "prestige" schools like NUS etc). Her bachelor degree is from india (yeah, she's indian).

I've also advised her to cast her net wider and look for jobs like marketing, business admin and other general management roles.

Oh, btw, I wonder if I start a new company (which I am planning to, due to a need for extra income apart from day job), I wonder if I can hire her as a worker. LOL ;)

Thanks! :)
Yon

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Wed, 07 Aug 2013 9:45 am

Yonex_Ond wrote:Much thanks guys! :)

Actually the problem we're facing is that she has no prior working experience, and although she has a Masters, it's from MDIS (which, even though has some standing and reputation here, is still not as good as those from the more "prestige" schools like NUS etc). Her bachelor degree is from india (yeah, she's indian).

I've also advised her to cast her net wider and look for jobs like marketing, business admin and other general management roles.

Oh, btw, I wonder if I start a new company (which I am planning to, due to a need for extra income apart from day job), I wonder if I can hire her as a worker. LOL ;)

Yon

:???:

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

Postby AngMoG » Wed, 07 Aug 2013 10:02 am

I sincerely hope he meant general admin roles instead.

Yeah, if she has no prior work experience, you are looking at entry-level positions, that require 0 prior work experience. Anything to do with managing people is absolutely out of the question. But even so, she should be looking for something that at least goes in the direction she wants to, and that takes advantage of her education. I cannot really advise there, as the "Masters in Banking" sounds awfully generic, and seems one of those "get a degree to have a degree" kind of things, no offense.

Saint wrote:
Yonex_Ond wrote:Much thanks guys! :)

Yon

:???:

Yonex_Ond

Postby Yonex_Ond » Wed, 07 Aug 2013 10:32 pm

Hi,

Many thanks for the replies again. Yeah I meant something like general admin roles, basically anything that belongs to a white collar job but isn't skill-specific (ie, software programmers, architects etc.)

Btw, if you guys are in my position (ie: foreign girlfriend with no working experience and a masters that isn't very recognized in Singapore), what would you guys do?

Actually, she's more of the housewife type; the job is only an excuse for her to stay in Singapore so we can continue dating lol.

In worst case scenario where she can't find a job, the best solution is for her to go back to her country and we skype each other / video conference (long distance relationship), and when the time is ripe, I marry her and bring her over?

Yon

blue_thunder
Chatter
Chatter

Postby blue_thunder » Thu, 08 Aug 2013 9:58 pm

Yonex_Ond wrote:
In worst case scenario where she can't find a job, the best solution is for her to go back to her country and we skype each other / video conference (long distance relationship), and when the time is ripe, I marry her and bring her over?

Yon

Been there done that. I would strongly advise against skype / online or long distance relationships. It may look nice at the begining but then takes a toll on your schedule. Just my 2 cents.
AFAIK most of the banks in Sg tends to hire graduates/interns from NUS/NTU and SMU.
~ I don't want to be a product of my environment, I want my environment to be a product of me

Yonex_Ond

Postby Yonex_Ond » Thu, 08 Aug 2013 10:45 pm

Could you advise how it takes a toll on the schedule?

Say, if we spend about 1 hr everyday on skype, shouldn't be too bad right? Because if it's a offline relationship, then it will cost even more time, like 4 hrs eating and shopping, plus the traveling time etc....

Tks! :)