Singapore Expats

TV options in Singapore

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
Cebrose

TV options in Singapore

Post by Cebrose » Fri, 02 Aug 2013 2:57 am

I know this topic has been done before but I can't find anything recent so I hope someone can help me?

What are my best options for cable and can I get UK TV at all, maybe via I-player or similar?

We move in less than 2 weeks and would like to arrange things soon. Many thanks.

singapore eagle
Chatter
Chatter

Re: TV options please

Post by singapore eagle » Mon, 05 Aug 2013 4:04 pm

Cebrose wrote:I know this topic has been done before but I can't find anything recent so I hope someone can help me?

What are my best options for cable and can I get UK TV at all, maybe via I-player or similar?

We move in less than 2 weeks and would like to arrange things soon. Many thanks.
From a fellow UK expat:

1) The two local options are Starhub (cable TV) and Singtel Mio (down the phone line)
2) In both cases, the technology and choice of channels is massively inferior compared to the UK!!
3) The BBC only allows access to the iplayer to people accessing the service from the UK. But this is easy to get around if you sign up with a virtual private network provider (<£5 per month).

I suggest that you look at the starhub and the mio websites to see what the channel line-ups and packages are like. You will probably need to take up a subscription when you arrive, though.

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Mon, 05 Aug 2013 4:30 pm

If you have OpenNet fibre in the property you go for (a lot of them around the island now have this) then you can get some UK and US tv services on your tv through MyRepublicand ViewQwest in addition to the Starhub or Mio services. Personally, I have found Mio to be awful and Starhub to be mediocre (Welcome to Singapore TV!)

There are some discussions on both these options here
nutnut

Cebrose

Post by Cebrose » Mon, 05 Aug 2013 5:31 pm

Thanks for your help. We will look into the VPN and we are planning on going with Star hub.

Lottiegirl Girl

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 06 Aug 2013 9:39 am

nutnut wrote:If you have OpenNet fibre in the property you go for (a lot of them around the island now have this) then you can get some UK and US tv services on your tv through MyRepublicand ViewQwest in addition to the Starhub or Mio services. Personally, I have found Mio to be awful and Starhub to be mediocre (Welcome to Singapore TV!)

There are some discussions on both these options here

I also recommend this. Purchase your Internet through MyRepublic or ViewQuest, and then buy an AppleTv, Roku, Xbox, or any similar device for your TV. You won't need a VPN, and won't be forced to watch iPlayer on a laptop.

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Tue, 06 Aug 2013 12:52 pm

Apple tv doesn't play iplayer....

ViewQwest TV does (android box)
nutnut