Singapore Expats Forum

EP Appeal / Appointment

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
bloodhound123
Regular
Regular
Posts: 133
Joined: Thu, 16 May 2013

Postby bloodhound123 » Thu, 01 Aug 2013 8:59 pm

If it is some very "niche" areas like C++ Quantitative developers, Data Analytics he might have a chance on appeal. He can try to convince MOM that he would take in 2-3 expats and then hire and train locals in the respective areas.
Before I came to SG I read articles and newsposts on how easy it is to start a business in SG when compared to the Asian Giants......
All the best to Singapore for starting to dig their own grave!

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 11108
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Re: EP Appeal / Appointment

Postby Strong Eagle » Thu, 01 Aug 2013 9:04 pm

sathish_s2 wrote:Dear Members,

Thank you for all your valuable contributions. I have looked for a lot of information in this forum and benefited from the posts.

I have moved to Singapore with Entrepass and opened up a software services company. I’m trying to recruit my team and facing challenges in term of local resource availability with the specific skill set that we are looking for and resources that have those skills are very few and not interested in joining a start-up.

My application for EP for a foreign resource failed, with the reason stating that the company turnover doesn't meet the requirements to pay the consultants salary (6k/month). I’m planning to do an appeal for the same and need your expert advice.

It was stated in MOM website that the appeals can be made only through EPONLINE, Is this the only way? Can I meet the officer in charge in person to do the appeal and explain my situation in detail?

Meanwhile, we have already signed a partnership agreement with a software product company and rendered some services (delivered by me) for them and I see a long term service engagement coming up with them and I cannot do it alone and have to expand the team.

Would appreciate your valuable advice on how to do this appeal to maximize the probability of the pass approval.

Thanks in Advance


You need to appeal by setting an appointment. I assume you must have available cash to pay this person, even without the turnover? You have a contract? It will earn money to cover this person and make a profit?

When did you get your Entrepass?

sathish_s2
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu, 01 Aug 2013
Location: Singapore

Postby sathish_s2 » Fri, 02 Aug 2013 9:51 am

Hi Members,

Thanks for all your valuable inputs. To answer few of your questions,i have received my Entrepass in May, yes i have the money to pay the employee and i have couple of contracts which im planning to submit as supporting document and hope MOM will consider them.

We are providing services in Data Analytics space, using data discovery products.so the skill sets that we are looking for is not available in abundant and im not inclined to build the team only with foreign talents, but with local resource as well. But getting a local resource and train them in this area will take its own time.

So, my plan now is to file for an appeal through EPONLINE, with a request letter stating my current challenges and proposed business plan ( hire Locals & train them ) and justification on why i need the foreign resource now ( to run the current projs ) , submit the contract that i have and the invoices that i have billed so far and see what the officer decides.
I need to work on the request letter to make it effective and convincing.

Prepare for the worst, if the appeal fails, i have to take the manpower agencies route and at least manage the current business and start building the team with local people in parallel.

Lot of challenges, with challenges comes the opportunities ! don't they :)
:)

Thanks to all your valuable inputs and i shall update you all on the appeal status.

Cheers

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9812
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Fri, 02 Aug 2013 10:10 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I'm afraid the OP is going to find himself in a bit of a fix as MOM is cracking down on foreign Entrepass holders opening companies and trying to staff them with only their countrymen (especially those from the subcontinent). While it's understandable they they want their countrymen to work for them, ....


That's a bit harsh .. as I know one company who put up operations 10 years ago, and in NON-IT sector, and try as they may, they couldn't get any locals on board, even as trainees, even when the job was starting off with 4,000 S$ basic, in 2003 .. as the job/sector was considered dirty .. or low-class (no, it wasn't garbage or waste recycling ..... )

They packed up and moved to Malaysia and they have built up quite a bit of a presence there ..

Well, you may remember, only recently after some hoo-ha, there is a sudden interest in Crane operators, unlike few years ago, the thought was "i'd rather drive a taxi than work on a crane .. "

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3936
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012
Location: SIndiapore

Postby Wd40 » Fri, 02 Aug 2013 10:14 am

OP just curious, what technologies are you working on? I am familiar with the data analytics space and work on the MSBI stack myself. I am guessing you are looking for Qlikview or Tableau kind of skills?

I know its almost impossible for a company like yours to source candidates locally. I know of a US based fund manager with over USD50 Billion in AUM are trying to build an IT team here and looking for database/integration kind of skilled person. They have been trying to hire someone from the last 3 months without any luck.

Problem is their presence is really small here, like 25 people and only 1 IT guy and they dont want to sponsor EPs. So basically they are looking for SC/PR/PEP. I thought of applying as I have a PEP but then decided against it after I got to know how small the company is.

I dont think you will ever find any Singapore based candidates to work for a company like yours, unless they have like lost their job, even then I doubt it. Maybe you can entice Indians to come here for the lure of working in a developed country, but MoM wont allow you.

sathish_s2
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu, 01 Aug 2013
Location: Singapore

Postby sathish_s2 » Fri, 02 Aug 2013 10:39 am

Hi WD40, we are a BI services company focusing exclusively on BI technologies. The primary technology focus is QlikView and yes, we know it is challenging to get QlikView resources ( we face this in India too ), that's the reason im looking for resources with any other BI exp so that i can cross train them. Still facing challenge to get the local resource and MOM doesn't want to give EP :)

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 11108
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Fri, 02 Aug 2013 11:04 am

sathish_s2 wrote:Hi WD40, we are a BI services company focusing exclusively on BI technologies. The primary technology focus is QlikView and yes, we know it is challenging to get QlikView resources ( we face this in India too ), that's the reason im looking for resources with any other BI exp so that i can cross train them. Still facing challenge to get the local resource and MOM doesn't want to give EP :)


MOM probably thinks they are "helping" you by ensuring that you will have hired enough Singaporeans to keep your Entrepass.

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9812
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Fri, 02 Aug 2013 11:46 am

Strong Eagle wrote:
sathish_s2 wrote:Hi WD40, we are a BI services company focusing exclusively on BI technologies. The primary technology focus is QlikView and yes, we know it is challenging to get QlikView resources ( we face this in India too ), that's the reason im looking for resources with any other BI exp so that i can cross train them. Still facing challenge to get the local resource and MOM doesn't want to give EP :)


MOM probably thinks they are "helping" you by ensuring that you will have hired enough Singaporeans to keep your Entrepass.


^^^ the power of positive Thinking ;) ;)

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35159
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 02 Aug 2013 11:58 am

ecureilx wrote:
That's a bit harsh .. as I know one company who put up operations 10 years ago, and in NON-IT sector, and try as they may, they couldn't get any locals on board, even as trainees, even when the job was starting off with 4,000 S$ basic, in 2003 .. as the job/sector was considered dirty .. or low-class (no, it wasn't garbage or waste recycling ..... )


Frankly, I'm only repeating what has been printed in the Daily Birdcage Liner previously. I agree it's harsh, so how to whitewash it?

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9812
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Fri, 02 Aug 2013 1:48 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Frankly, I'm only repeating what has been printed in the Daily Birdcage Liner previously. I agree it's harsh, so how to whitewash it?


whitewash it ? well, I wouldn't expect you to whitewash it, or it wouldn't be you .. ;)

No worries, not offended !!! Just sayin .. .

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35159
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 02 Aug 2013 2:58 pm

ecureilx wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Frankly, I'm only repeating what has been printed in the Daily Birdcage Liner previously. I agree it's harsh, so how to whitewash it?


whitewash it ? well, I wouldn't expect you to whitewash it, or it wouldn't be you .. ;)

No worries, not offended !!! Just sayin .. .


That's a fact, Jack! :cool:


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests