Singapore Expats

chances of getting PR - to wait or not to wait?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
triplethree

chances of getting PR - to wait or not to wait?

Post by triplethree » Tue, 30 Jul 2013 8:17 pm

Hi forumers,

I have been following this forum for a few years. Now the time has finally come for me to apply for the coveted PR!

- here are my details:

Chinese Indonesian, 23 yo, Male
Name structure similar to Chinese Singaporean (English name + Surname + Chinese name) - my friends concur that this may make a difference because some Chinese Indonesians have purely Indonesian names
11 years of studying in Singapore in government schools
Degree from NUS with honours
Salary 4k a month, local bank
Two brothers studying in Singapore, no other siblings
Mum on LTVP for 9 years
Fortunate to have inherited a tidy sum from my grandfolks - so I have my own property, and also paid stamp duty to IRAS

However I have just started working here without even a single payslip yet. So I am still split as to whether I should apply for PR immediately.

Looking at the e-appointment schedule though, the next available slot is in December - so I'm thinking of securing the appointment first. By then I would have about 4 payslips. Instead of 3 years of Income tax assessment, there's a form that authorises ICA to contact IRAS - I'm hoping the stamp duty shows up!

Also there's a topic rarely mentioned here: vehicle ownership. After all there's road taxes and COE earned by the government? Would that help? (Would sound rather odd to put this in my application though).

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

yogaloungeforever
Chatter
Chatter

Re: chances of getting PR - to wait or not to wait?

Post by yogaloungeforever » Tue, 30 Jul 2013 8:27 pm

it doesn't really matter whether you have chinese surnames or long names. if u r not d 'flavor of d moment' u might not get it
triplethree wrote:Hi forumers,

Name structure similar to Chinese Singaporean (English name + Surname + Chinese name) - my friends concur that this may make a difference because some Chinese Indonesians have purely Indonesian names
Life is short hence I live it to its fullest, that is .... I eat and sleep

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 30 Jul 2013 8:34 pm

You are wasting you time at the moment. 2 full years or three tax assessments. They don't give a damn how much money your Indonesian relatives have or the fact that they bought you a car and a property. They could also care less how your name is written. Anybody can get a deed poll done. It's your ethnicity, not the way you spell your name. You cannot be seen to be milking the system so even if they wanted to, they wouldn't. Anyway, on 4K/mo, I doubt that they will even give it a second glance without 2 years of work experience here. Sorry, but you asked for our thoughts.

NB: you are not in Indonesia now, so moneyface means nothing here unless you have money like Severin or Jim Rogers.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

triplethree

Post by triplethree » Tue, 30 Jul 2013 8:43 pm

I'm sorry if it came across that way - didn't mean to imply things like that.
No problems though - PR or not, I still enjoy my time here.
It's OK to be frank on your thoughts and am grateful for the honesty. Frankly I am also not optimistic on my chances.
sundaymorningstaple wrote:You are wasting you time at the moment. 2 full years or three tax assessments. They don't give a damn how much money your Indonesian relatives have or the fact that they bought you a car and a property. They could also care less how your name is written. Anybody can get a deed poll done. It's your ethnicity, not the way you spell your name. You cannot be seen to be milking the system so even if they wanted to, they wouldn't. Anyway, on 4K/mo, I doubt that they will even give it a second glance without 2 years of work experience here. Sorry, but you asked for our thoughts.

NB: you are not in Indonesia now, so moneyface means nothing here unless you have money like Severin or Jim Rogers.