Singapore Expats

Additional Documents for PR application

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
kelv0009

Additional Documents for PR application

Post by kelv0009 » Mon, 29 Jul 2013 10:11 am

Hi all,

I applied for PR in April with the following credentials:

My Profile:
Race: Chinese
Sex: M
No of years in Singapore: 14 years, of which
2 years primary
4 years secondary
2 years JC
4 years NTU (B.Eng 1st Class honours)
2 years working (currently working in SPH)
Salary: 3.4k/ month
Marital Status: Single

ICA sent me a letter 2 months later in June, asking for my family register as well as any documentary proof that I am of my declared race.

I browsed through the forum and I understand that ICA does require applicants to submit details of their spouses or family members periodically, however this is the first time I ever come across such a requisite from ICA. Any thoughts or 2 cents on this? Thank you!

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Re: Additional Documents for PR application

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 29 Jul 2013 10:49 am

kelv0009 wrote: I browsed through the forum and I understand that ICA does require applicants to submit details of their spouses or family members periodically, however this is the first time I ever come across such a requisite from ICA. Any thoughts or 2 cents on this? Thank you!
Thoughts on what? That they asked for information on your family? It's normal, you yourself said you've realized as much from a forum search. Proof that you Indonesian Chinese? Probably a lot of your non-Chinese countrymen trying to say they are for a better shot at approval.

FaeLLe
Chatter
Chatter

Post by FaeLLe » Mon, 29 Jul 2013 11:29 am

I would recommend to just give them what they asked for.... atleast it is a quasi positive response and not rejection :twisted:

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Mon, 29 Jul 2013 12:32 pm

Interesting! This is the 1st time I hearing about someone having been asked to prove their race. Sounds like that TRE article about "Filipinos getting PRs by declaring that they are Malay race" has had an impact.

Its so funny in this country. Anything you want to happen, just complain, lah. It will happen.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 29 Jul 2013 1:01 pm

Maybe he simply does not look too Chinese.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Mon, 29 Jul 2013 1:03 pm

To be fair, if race wasn't a factor in the first place...
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Mon, 29 Jul 2013 1:20 pm

I wonder whether Indonesia maintains identity of race like Singapore does. What if it doesnt maintain? How to prove? What if almost everyone in your family tree is a chinese but somewhere 2-3 generations above if your grandfather married an african, then are you still chinese?

Wonder if anyone has answers to these questions. :roll:

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 29 Jul 2013 1:24 pm

I would not be surprised of genetic tests coming soon at least in questionable cases.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Mon, 29 Jul 2013 1:29 pm

The ratios among races must be maintained! Because the dominant race has always been the proper residents of the island!

Oh wait--
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 29 Jul 2013 1:52 pm

Wd40 wrote:I wonder whether Indonesia maintains identity of race like Singapore does. What if it doesnt maintain? How to prove? What if almost everyone in your family tree is a chinese but somewhere 2-3 generations above if your grandfather married an african, then are you still chinese?

Wonder if anyone has answers to these questions. :roll:
In fact, they used to not allow Indonesian citizens of Chinese descent to even have Chinese names. They had to adopt Indonesian names. Back in the 1980's you couldn't even bring in TCM medications if the containers had Chinese characters on them. They know who they are and everything about them. I reckon it's not changed too much but it's probably a lot less obvious than it was in the 80's when I was working there. They also used to hassle my Chinese divers on crew changes as well. Would let all through customs/immigration no problem until my Chinese divers tried to go through and then they would completely ransacks their bags and confiscate any think with Chinese characters on/in it. Magazines, medicines, foodstuffs, you name it.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers