Singapore Expats

Long Term Pass Application

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
kooltilldend
Regular
Regular

Post by kooltilldend » Sat, 17 Aug 2013 3:50 pm

ecureilx wrote: I think you have a made a full 360 .. congrats

Now who said you have to make payment to get the IPA ?

I am out of here .. seriously ..
It does seem that way, doesn't it? Lol

The thing is I wasn't expecting the pass to be approved at this point so it caught me offguard. Furthermore, I have interviews lined up here already so I can't just leave everything in chaos and come over there just like that

Besides given how volatile the SG market is as things stand, I'm not even sure all this hassle is actually worthwhile considering this is a non-renewable pass (although for 1 year).

What do you all think? Is this pass worth the hassle or should I bid adieu to Singapore for now (forever?)

P.s. If the IPA letter was sent already, I wouldn't need a tourist pass to enter SG as it would've been enough. Now the only question is, have ICA sent the IPA letter to me yet? If yes then where is it and why did they tell me that I need a tourist pass to enter SG? And why can't I see it online? And if not, then why not considering my application is already approved in-principle (subject to payment)

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Sat, 17 Aug 2013 4:43 pm

I am not that familiar with ICA process. I wish someone who has got LTSVP gave you some advice.

But, read this link carefully.
http://www.ica.gov.sg/services_centre_o ... pageid=396
Important Information to Note:

Applicant is required to have a valid Visit Pass / Student's Pass during his/her stay in Singapore.

If the application is subsequently approved, applicant will receive an In-Principle Approval (IPA) letter. The approval letter is valid for 2 months - once payment is made.
This indicates that the person should be in the country on a student pass or visit pass when the pass is being approved.

The IPA letter gets sent by post(just like the PEP IPA letter) and to your in country address. I am sure it has been sent already.

Why dont you ask ICA how the IPA is sent?

By design, the IPA letter doesn't contain the SVP and by getting out of the country you have kind of fallen through the crack. Although I know its of no fault of yours.

Its upto you to decide whether it is worth it or not to go through the hassle. You have to decide how badly you want to stay in Singapore and how much risk(in terms of duration of being jobless) you want to take.

If you want to play safe, take the job you are getting in India and keep applying for Singapore jobs and if they really want you badly they will process EP for you while you are in India.

kooltilldend
Regular
Regular

Post by kooltilldend » Sun, 18 Aug 2013 1:20 am

Wd40 wrote:I am not that familiar with ICA process. I wish someone who has got LTSVP gave you some advice.

But, read this link carefully.
http://www.ica.gov.sg/services_centre_o ... pageid=396
Important Information to Note:

Applicant is required to have a valid Visit Pass / Student's Pass during his/her stay in Singapore.

If the application is subsequently approved, applicant will receive an In-Principle Approval (IPA) letter. The approval letter is valid for 2 months - once payment is made.
This indicates that the person should be in the country on a student pass or visit pass when the pass is being approved.

The IPA letter gets sent by post(just like the PEP IPA letter) and to your in country address. I am sure it has been sent already.

Why dont you ask ICA how the IPA is sent?

By design, the IPA letter doesn't contain the SVP and by getting out of the country you have kind of fallen through the crack. Although I know its of no fault of yours.

Its upto you to decide whether it is worth it or not to go through the hassle. You have to decide how badly you want to stay in Singapore and how much risk(in terms of duration of being jobless) you want to take.

If you want to play safe, take the job you are getting in India and keep applying for Singapore jobs and if they really want you badly they will process EP for you while you are in India.
You are probably right about the procedure...which is what makes it all the more ridiculous that I was asked to leave SG despite having the application in process...but oh well, that's how it goes

As for IPA, even if it has been sent to my in country address, I can't access it as I'm naturally not living there anymore so it won't resolve my concerns at all

As for staying in SG, I want to stay but only as long as I have a job (otherwise its just not worthwhile and I'd much rather be in India instead)...with this pass, I was hoping the LTSVP would help but now I'm not so sure

Also I don't have a job offer in India just yet - only interviews (but then again I've only been 2 weeks here - and I've already got more interview calls than I ever had in Singapore - hardly surprising I suppose)

I expect zero job/interview responses from SG while I'm here...but then I can't sit in SG hoping I'd hear something sometime either - its just too expensive for that

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Sun, 18 Aug 2013 1:32 am

In the previous post you mentioned your LTSVP is only 1 yr non renewable and hence you were wondering whether its worth it.

I just want to let you(may be you already know this), the moment you get a job, you will have to cancel your LTSVP and jump onto the EP. After that if you lose your job again, you cannot get the LTSVP, even if you havent completed 1 yr from the original LTSVP start date.

So the LTSVP is not a PEP that gives you the comfort for a certain duration. It only gives you comfort until you find your 1st job.

Anyways, Good luck man!

Just curious, which Indian city are you in and what is your field of work?

kooltilldend
Regular
Regular

Post by kooltilldend » Sun, 18 Aug 2013 4:00 am

Wd40 wrote:In the previous post you mentioned your LTSVP is only 1 yr non renewable and hence you were wondering whether its worth it.

I just want to let you(may be you already know this), the moment you get a job, you will have to cancel your LTSVP and jump onto the EP. After that if you lose your job again, you cannot get the LTSVP, even if you havent completed 1 yr from the original LTSVP start date.

So the LTSVP is not a PEP that gives you the comfort for a certain duration. It only gives you comfort until you find your 1st job.

Anyways, Good luck man!

Just curious, which Indian city are you in and what is your field of work?
Thanks mate!

Indeed you are right - yet another reason I'm having second thoughts about this

Infact now I'm thinking that maybe I am actually better off "saving" the LTSVP until the market improves over there as I can always go back on a tourist pass and apply for the pass during my stay there (and come back while its being processed - like now). Besides i have never worked in India before so this is just like living in a new country for me.

Obviously would only do the tourist pass + LTSVP if I feel I have a chance of getting a job there then (which I don't think I do atm). It may not get approved then i guess but its not like using the pass now is helping me either (in geting a job)

What do you guys think?

P.s. I'm completely mobile atm - just moving city to city till interviews call me out somewhere. Till then visiting relatives everywhere - right now am in Delhi and will travel to Pune on Monday then Mumbai on Friday.

My background is in MIS (Management Information Systems) and my field of interest is digital sales & marketing for a digital media company - something I'm personally shocked to see diminishing from a technologically advanced country as Singapore but that's how it goes.

Local Talent

Post by Local Talent » Sun, 18 Aug 2013 11:46 pm

I think you should stay in India , this country is going downhill.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 18 Aug 2013 11:50 pm

Typical no talent "Local Talent". No drive to help the country must just say no hope for the country because he didn't get the entitlement he though he should get. Money for nothing. Maybe YOU should go to India.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

kooltilldend
Regular
Regular

Post by kooltilldend » Mon, 19 Aug 2013 12:30 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Typical no talent "Local Talent". No drive to help the country must just say no hope for the country because he didn't get the entitlement he though he should get. Money for nothing. Maybe YOU should go to India.
Now now there's no need for anymore no talent people in India as there's more than enough here already - case in point: myself ;)