Singapore Expats

Help me to decide on whether I neeto accept the offer or not

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
npksaravanan

Help me to decide on whether I neeto accept the offer or not

Post by npksaravanan » Fri, 26 Jul 2013 1:15 pm

I got a offer in Singapore with a monthly salary of 6200 SGD. I am a family man with my Wife is a home maker, Daughter is studying LKG and a son who is 9 months old. Is this Salary is enough to live a decent life in Singapore and also let me know if I can save anything from this Salary. I am working as an Principal Oracle Apps DBA in Bangalore with 10+ years of experience in IT and 9+ years of experience as an Oracle Apps DBA.

Can I accept this Offer or not?

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Fri, 26 Jul 2013 1:25 pm

Bad offer. For your experience and technology niche, you must get 8K atleast. 6.2k is pathetic salary in singapore considering you have a wife and kid and you will need to rent a house which will cost you 2.2k atleast.

Reject it. Ask for 8k. Dont come for anything less than 7.5k

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 26 Jul 2013 4:21 pm

Seems low. You won't save anything.

yogaloungeforever
Chatter
Chatter

Post by yogaloungeforever » Fri, 26 Jul 2013 4:31 pm

Actually this amount can do for a family of 4. i know quite a number of locals (with families) who survive on $5k and still have a loan towards the HDB. But that would mean they stay far out of singapore and travel everywhere in the island by bus and not have outside dining.
Life is short hence I live it to its fullest, that is .... I eat and sleep

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Fri, 26 Jul 2013 5:00 pm

Typically Indians come abroad to save money. If they cannot save even 2k then they wont come. Locals dont need to save money. Their HDB is their savings.

yogaloungeforever
Chatter
Chatter

Post by yogaloungeforever » Fri, 26 Jul 2013 5:13 pm

i have this funny feeling that if he pushes for a higher amount than offered, he's going to lose the offer. his skill is not that niche. i know some really good DBAs who are already in singapore. depending on the industry that made him the offer, i would consider taking this and then once in singapore start scouting around. from experience, candidates with work experience from europe and the us are normally well-offered than candidates with work experience from asia
Life is short hence I live it to its fullest, that is .... I eat and sleep

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 26 Jul 2013 5:43 pm

Frankly, I have the same thought.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

livingontheedge
Chatter
Chatter

Post by livingontheedge » Thu, 29 Aug 2013 6:26 pm

From an "offer" perspective - not sure if it is indeed a good offer or bad. But from a "living" perspective - yeah you could probably be able to live a decent life in Singapore on that kinda of pay but I doubt you will have much to save at the end of 12 months. Considering the devaluation of rupees, you can consider taking up the offer and relocating to Singapore with the hopes, or should I say aspirations, to work towards higher salaries while you are here, be it annual salary increments or bonus or another Company down the road. As to whether you can give in a good fight for an higher salary from the current Company............the likelihood is small considering that Indians are reputable for migration and more so in recent years to Singapore. The competition may undercut your offer.

bro75
Reporter
Reporter

Post by bro75 » Thu, 29 Aug 2013 11:32 pm

It depends on how much you save in India versus how much you can save here.

You can save a lot here if you
- rent a hdb master bedroom only (sharing the hdb unit with others)
- use public transport for daily commute
- buy fresh food at the wet market and cook at home
- do not smoke or drink
- do not get a helper

If the above is OK with you, then it is possible to make it work.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Fri, 30 Aug 2013 12:17 pm

bro75 wrote:It depends on how much you save in India versus how much you can save here.

You can save a lot here if you
- rent a hdb master bedroom only (sharing the hdb unit with others)
- use public transport for daily commute
- buy fresh food at the wet market and cook at home
- do not smoke or drink
- do not get a helper

If the above is OK with you, then it is possible to make it work.
Drink is ok lah, as long as you dont go to Clark Quay instead buy beer off the shelf or in food courts. My beer costs are actually not much higher than India. But yeah, I miss having draught beer in Bangalore pubs with peanut masala or chilli paneer :cry: