Singapore Expats

Crappiest companies in Singapore

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Crappiest companies in Singapore

Post by Wd40 » Thu, 25 Jul 2013 7:55 pm

Just thought of starting this thread so that people can share their experiences about the crappiest companies in Singapore :)

I will start off with one that my ex colleague joined. Its an IT development centre of a French Investment bank. The crappy thing about it? Their official work hours is 8:45AM to 6:30PM and they have card punching system for recording of attendance :o

I know companies that overwork people but having 9 hrs and 45 mins as the official timings is horrific to me.

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Thu, 25 Jul 2013 8:16 pm

can't one person punch in all early and someone punch them out late?
nutnut

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 25 Jul 2013 8:20 pm

nutnut wrote:can't one person punch in all early and someone punch them out late?
Sounds like government offices in the Philippines.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 25 Jul 2013 8:23 pm

Are they on a 5 day 44 hour week perchance? How much time is given for their designated lunch break?

My own company is worse that that. We work a 5.5 day 44 hour week. I'd love to have your mentioned company's hours if it 5 days/week.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Thu, 25 Jul 2013 8:38 pm

My friend didnt mention anything about lunch break. I will ask him next time.

yogaloungeforever
Chatter
Chatter

Post by yogaloungeforever » Fri, 26 Jul 2013 1:43 am

Is that French bank company mentioned by any chance Credit Agricole?
Life is short hence I live it to its fullest, that is .... I eat and sleep

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Fri, 26 Jul 2013 8:55 am

Any SME in Singapore is crappy.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Re: Crappiest companies in Singapore

Post by Barnsley » Fri, 26 Jul 2013 9:50 am

Wd40 wrote:Just thought of starting this thread so that people can share their experiences about the crappiest companies in Singapore :)

I will start off with one that my ex colleague joined. Its an IT development centre of a French Investment bank. The crappy thing about it? Their official work hours is 8:45AM to 6:30PM and they have card punching system for recording of attendance :o

I know companies that overwork people but having 9 hrs and 45 mins as the official timings is horrific to me.
Maybe they get free croissants every hour??

Where I work I think Singapore is the only site in the world that doesn't have a clock in and clock out system.

Swings and roundabouts?
Life is short, paddle harder!!

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Fri, 26 Jul 2013 9:58 am

yogaloungeforever wrote:Is that French bank company mentioned by any chance Credit Agricole?
I wont be so explicit, but their location is near Labrador park MRT ;) Another thing about this company, there is no reception area there. Just glass doors with the card punching machine, lol.
Last edited by Wd40 on Fri, 26 Jul 2013 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

yogaloungeforever
Chatter
Chatter

Post by yogaloungeforever » Fri, 26 Jul 2013 10:04 am

:) i guess that as much .. coz i know of someone who currently works for credit agricole and is also not happy but she never made any mention of what she was unhappy about

Wd40 wrote:
yogaloungeforever wrote:Is that French bank company mentioned by any chance Credit Agricole?
I wont be so explicit, but their location is near Labrador park MRT ;)

Addadude
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Addadude » Fri, 26 Jul 2013 10:07 am

the lynx wrote:Any SME in Singapore is crappy.
Oh yes.
"Both politicians and nappies need to be changed regularly, and for the same reasons."

iloverice
Regular
Regular

Post by iloverice » Fri, 26 Jul 2013 10:40 am

If 9 hr 45 min is crappy, I wonder what you should call me, when I worked for this company, attend the sales meeting at 7.30 am and then go to work (must reach the shop at 930) and we only close the shop at 10 pm, and continue to do the storeroom until 3 am (and it's not a monthly activity - kind of daily activity).

yogaloungeforever
Chatter
Chatter

Post by yogaloungeforever » Fri, 26 Jul 2013 10:46 am

are you sure what you mentioned below was done daily? you would have been burned out by now

iloverice wrote:If 9 hr 45 min is crappy, I wonder what you should call me, when I worked for this company, attend the sales meeting at 7.30 am and then go to work (must reach the shop at 930) and we only close the shop at 10 pm, and continue to do the storeroom until 3 am (and it's not a monthly activity - kind of daily activity).

iloverice
Regular
Regular

Post by iloverice » Fri, 26 Jul 2013 10:54 am

It last for 6 month - on my one year employment there. We had a good time occasionally when we able to go home at 11 pm and attend the meeting at 8.30 the next day (extra sleep for couple of hour) oh oh and we only had one day off in a week (which in real life only half day - because we have to go to office to attend the 8.30 am meeting). On our last month, everybody going crazy.

And I just wonder, if 9 hr 45 min is crappy, then what should you call my experience?

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Fri, 26 Jul 2013 10:57 am

iloverice wrote:If 9 hr 45 min is crappy, I wonder what you should call me, when I worked for this company, attend the sales meeting at 7.30 am and then go to work (must reach the shop at 930) and we only close the shop at 10 pm, and continue to do the storeroom until 3 am (and it's not a monthly activity - kind of daily activity).
It last for 6 month - on my one year employment there. We had a good time occasionally when we able to go home at 11 pm and attend the meeting at 8.30 the next day (extra sleep for couple of hour) oh oh and we only had one day off in a week (which in real life only half day - because we have to go to office to attend the 8.30 am meeting). On our last month, everybody going crazy.

And I just wonder, if 9 hr 45 min is crappy, then what should you call my experience?
I'm a little disturbed by how you'd waste your precious hours, slaving away like that. I hope you make a lot of money for those robbed hours. Time (and youth) is a very rare commodity. :(
Last edited by the lynx on Fri, 26 Jul 2013 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.