Singapore Expats

Aussie by birth, renounced SG PR, advice on getting EP

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
GQ_AUSSIE

Re: Aussie by birth, renounced SG PR, advice on getting EP

Post by GQ_AUSSIE » Sun, 28 Jul 2013 7:54 am

Thank you Saint. I have been going back to SG at least once each year.Have no issue. How do I clarify my NS status without raising any flags?

I have just received a verbal offer from my company so now its time to jump the EP hoop.

Which begs another question, is $10k a month sufficient to have a reasonable life in SG? things have gotten incredibly expensive particularly rent. My wife will not be working as yet - aka tai tai.

thank you

Saint wrote:
GQ_AUSSIE wrote: After JC 1 (when I was 17), my family decided to migrate back to Australia and I was brought along. I renounced my SG PR status prior to migrating back to AUS - in my immature youth, I never thought I would come back! :???: I dont recall being enlisted or drafted by MINDEF yet - I left immediately after JC 1
At the age of 16.5 all male Singaporeans and SPR have to register for NS. By the sounds of it you didn't. The Singapore Gahmen have very long memories and particularly don't like PRs leaving the Country and avoiding doing NS. I think you might have a problem getting a EP but you want to check your NS status.

There are more and more horror stories these days of people being classed as NS Defaulters because of actions/decisions taken years ago. This is just one example.

http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/ftopic94729.html

One question, have you ever been back to Singapore since you left 14 years ago?

PhantomX

Post by PhantomX » Sun, 28 Jul 2013 12:22 pm

GQ_AUSSIE wrote:Thank you Saint. I have been going back to SG at least once each year.Have no issue. How do I clarify my NS status without raising any flags?

I have just received a verbal offer from my company so now its time to jump the EP hoop.

Which begs another question, is $10k a month sufficient to have a reasonable life in SG? things have gotten incredibly expensive particularly rent. My wife will not be working as yet - aka tai tai.

thank you

Saint wrote:
GQ_AUSSIE wrote:

After JC 1 (when I was 17), my family decided to migrate back to Australia and I was brought along. I renounced my SG PR status prior to migrating back to AUS - in my immature youth, I never thought I would come back! :???: I dont recall being enlisted or drafted by MINDEF yet - I left immediately after JC 1
At the age of 16.5 all male Singaporeans and SPR have to register for NS. By the sounds of it you didn't. The Singapore Gahmen have very long memories and particularly don't like PRs leaving the Country and avoiding doing NS. I think you might have a problem getting a EP but you want to check your NS status.

There are more and more horror stories these days of people being classed as NS Defaulters because of actions/decisions taken years ago. This is just one example.

http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/ftopic94729.html

One question, have you ever been back to Singapore since you left 14 years ago?

Being and ex PR renouncing and not doing NS makes the authorities look at you with a different set of eyes vis a vis another applicant without your previous Sg baggage.

My feeling is that you will face a long drawn application with uncertain prospects of getting an EP and even if you were given one you will most likely find the tenure very short and renewability a question mark.
And don't even think about re applying for PR unless u offer NS duties which then begs the question of why you would come back for employment in the first place.
X

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Sun, 28 Jul 2013 1:27 pm

GQ_AUSSIE wrote:How do I clarify my NS status without raising any flags?
I would imagine that any such 'flags' are already set, so IMO you might do better by biting the bullet and contacting the relevant authorities to confirm your NS status. If you search through the threads in the 'Strictly Speaking' forum you'll find information from MS (Mad Scientist) and others that should help you figure out who to contact.

The fact that you have been visiting Singapore without any apparent problems suggests that they don't have you categorised as a deserter, so if I were in your shoes I'd want to ascertain the exact situation. None of this negates the comments above by PhantomX of course.
Be careful what you wish for

FaeLLe
Chatter
Chatter

Post by FaeLLe » Mon, 29 Jul 2013 10:23 am

GQ_AUSSIE wrote: Will offering to do NS (if I sought to get PR) help my EP case?
I doubt you would want to give up two years of your professional career life, set aside all your financial planning and go enlist for NS...

Anyway if I were you, I would proceed with the EP application and see where it leads, if you had any NS obligations they would have notified you when cancelling PR.

In the meantime you can reach out to MINDEF with your NRIC number (you will need this for your EP application as an ex-SPR) to check for any NS obligations.

GQ_AUSSIE

Post by GQ_AUSSIE » Wed, 04 Sep 2013 10:04 pm

Dear All, it is with great pleasure to announce that I have received an approved EP to work in Singapore. Exciting times ahead. Thanks one and all for your words of advice.

Are there any tips for working successfully in the local big four environment?

Thanks

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 04 Sep 2013 10:09 pm

Be able to survive on 4 to 6 hours sleep a night. If you're lucky.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

GQ_AUSSIE

Post by GQ_AUSSIE » Wed, 04 Sep 2013 10:21 pm

thanks sundaymorning, i am curious as to whether is is related to work vulture or just simply the work pressure. i have worked in the ibanking inudstry in aus and yes we pull some ridiculous hours when there are live deals, Howver we dont do a lot of facetime. Is this a different culture to SG finance firms?

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Be able to survive on 4 to 6 hours sleep a night. If you're lucky.
:evil:

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Wed, 04 Sep 2013 11:34 pm

GQ_AUSSIE wrote:thanks sundaymorning, i am curious as to whether is is related to work vulture or just simply the work pressure.
Congratulations. Just watch out for those work vultures... :twisted:

Be careful what you wish for

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 05 Sep 2013 6:55 am

I've never worked in that industry, but from those I've met who have, I'd have to say is a fair bit of both.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

FaeLLe
Chatter
Chatter

Post by FaeLLe » Thu, 05 Sep 2013 2:19 pm

Work culture, balance and your ability to manage your boss....

Most people just "wayang" and try to act like a busy body hoping to improve their boss.

There is a lot of competition in the industry and Singapore seess a lot of typical work culture.

Kamikaze

Post by Kamikaze » Tue, 13 Mar 2018 4:51 am

Hi GQ Aussie,

Now that you have been in Singapore for more than 4 years, could I ask you if you had any difficulty in renewing your EP after the expiry of the initial term granted?

Did you try applying for PR and what is the outcome?