Singapore Expats Forum

Aussie by birth, renounced SG PR, advice on getting EP

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
GQ_AUSSIE
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed, 24 Jul 2013

Aussie by birth, renounced SG PR, advice on getting EP

Postby GQ_AUSSIE » Wed, 24 Jul 2013 8:42 pm

Hi Fellow Forum Participants,

Can I please get some guidance/ advice from any one who have experienced a similar issue.

I am an Australian by birth but I lived in SG for the earlier part of my life. i.e. I went to primary, sec and first year of JC in SG. I held SG PR.

After JC 1 (when I was 17), my family decided to migrate back to Australia and I was brought along. I renounced my SG PR status prior to migrating back to AUS - in my immature youth, I never thought I would come back! :???: I dont recall being enlisted or drafted by MINDEF yet - I left immediately after JC 1

Fast forward 14 years, I am seeking to move back to SG for professional (more interesting work in finance, deeper capital markets etc) and personal reasons (my fiancee is Singaporean and we still have family there)

Does anyone have guidance on whether I would be successful in obtaining an Employment Pass? My company, a big 4 professional services firm, will sponsor me? Does having a SG fiancee/wife assist in any manner / lend further credence?

Many thanks everyone

rdueej
Regular
Regular
Posts: 91
Joined: Mon, 22 Jul 2013

Re: Aussie by birth, renounced SG PR, advice on getting EP

Postby rdueej » Wed, 24 Jul 2013 9:04 pm

GQ_AUSSIE wrote:Hi Fellow Forum Participants,

Can I please get some guidance/ advice from any one who have experienced a similar issue.

I am an Australian by birth but I lived in SG for the earlier part of my life. i.e. I went to primary, sec and first year of JC in SG. I held SG PR.

After JC 1 (when I was 17), my family decided to migrate back to Australia and I was brought along. I renounced my SG PR status prior to migrating back to AUS - in my immature youth, I never thought I would come back! :???: I dont recall being enlisted or drafted by MINDEF yet - I left immediately after JC 1

Fast forward 14 years, I am seeking to move back to SG for professional (more interesting work in finance, deeper capital markets etc) and personal reasons (my fiancee is Singaporean and we still have family there)

Does anyone have guidance on whether I would be successful in obtaining an Employment Pass? My company, a big 4 professional services firm, will sponsor me? Does having a SG fiancee/wife assist in any manner / lend further credence?

Many thanks everyone



May be possible, may be not. It really is the government's call.

It also depends on how far your company is able to justify having you in Singapore. These days, companies find it difficult even when hiring foreigners with no past baggage.

Here is a quote taken from : http://www.ica.gov.sg/page.aspx?pageid=151

Renouncing or losing one's PR status without serving or completing full-time NS would have an adverse impact on any immediate or future applications to work or study in Singapore, or for Singapore citizenship or PR status.

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3950
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012
Location: SIndiapore

Postby Wd40 » Wed, 24 Jul 2013 9:10 pm

I think employment pass should be possible. Although, you may experience heavy scrutiny.

User avatar
PNGMK
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5863
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013
Location: Sinkapore

Postby PNGMK » Wed, 24 Jul 2013 9:23 pm

One factor in your advantage would be that you did not drain your CPF account all those years ago. However... Keith Steeles three sons are in pretty much the same boat as you and cannot get employment passes.

GQ_AUSSIE
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed, 24 Jul 2013

Re: Aussie by birth, renounced SG PR, advice on getting EP

Postby GQ_AUSSIE » Wed, 24 Jul 2013 9:25 pm

Thanks rdueej,

Any insights or precedents you know of with respect to what basis the govt might make this call on?

I dont even remember being called to register for NS around that 16.5yr old mark!

I am being considered for a secondment from the Aussie practice so the commercial justification is there

Will offering to do NS (if I sought to get PR) help my EP case?

rdueej wrote:
GQ_AUSSIE wrote:Hi Fellow Forum Participants,

Can I please get some guidance/ advice from any one who have experienced a similar issue.

I am an Australian by birth but I lived in SG for the earlier part of my life. i.e. I went to primary, sec and first year of JC in SG. I held SG PR.

After JC 1 (when I was 17), my family decided to migrate back to Australia and I was brought along. I renounced my SG PR status prior to migrating back to AUS - in my immature youth, I never thought I would come back! :???: I dont recall being enlisted or drafted by MINDEF yet - I left immediately after JC 1

Fast forward 14 years, I am seeking to move back to SG for professional (more interesting work in finance, deeper capital markets etc) and personal reasons (my fiancee is Singaporean and we still have family there)

Does anyone have guidance on whether I would be successful in obtaining an Employment Pass? My company, a big 4 professional services firm, will sponsor me? Does having a SG fiancee/wife assist in any manner / lend further credence?

Many thanks everyone



May be possible, may be not. It really is the government's call.

It also depends on how far your company is able to justify having you in Singapore. These days, companies find it difficult even when hiring foreigners with no past baggage.

Here is a quote taken from : http://www.ica.gov.sg/page.aspx?pageid=151

Renouncing or losing one's PR status without serving or completing full-time NS would have an adverse impact on any immediate or future applications to work or study in Singapore, or for Singapore citizenship or PR status.

GQ_AUSSIE
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed, 24 Jul 2013

Postby GQ_AUSSIE » Wed, 24 Jul 2013 9:26 pm

Thanks I havent even contributed anything to be able to have a CPF account!

Sorry who is Keith Steeles?

PNGMK wrote:One factor in your advantage would be that you did not drain your CPF account all those years ago. However... Keith Steeles three sons are in pretty much the same boat as you and cannot get employment passes.

GQ_AUSSIE
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed, 24 Jul 2013

Postby GQ_AUSSIE » Wed, 24 Jul 2013 9:28 pm

Thanks Wd40, can you elaborate more on why you think an EP would be possible?
Also what heavy scrutiny are you referring to?
Wd40 wrote:I think employment pass should be possible. Although, you may experience heavy scrutiny.

rdueej
Regular
Regular
Posts: 91
Joined: Mon, 22 Jul 2013

Postby rdueej » Wed, 24 Jul 2013 9:31 pm

I am not very experienced in such issues and cannot provide any good suggestions. Other forum regulars might be able to advise.

You sound unclear on your NS obligations. If I were you, I would first confirm whether the PR had been properly renounced before departure.

GQ_AUSSIE
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed, 24 Jul 2013

Postby GQ_AUSSIE » Wed, 24 Jul 2013 9:39 pm

Hi rdueej,

I can confirm that my PR was renounced properly before I migrated to Australia.


rdueej wrote:I am not very experienced in such issues and cannot provide any good suggestions. Other forum regulars might be able to advise.

You sound unclear on your NS obligations. If I were you, I would first confirm whether the PR had been properly renounced before departure.

rdueej
Regular
Regular
Posts: 91
Joined: Mon, 22 Jul 2013

Postby rdueej » Wed, 24 Jul 2013 10:14 pm

Then I would suggest that you go ahead and get your company to apply for you. You can do a search on this forum and find other cases where getting an EP has been possible.

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3950
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012
Location: SIndiapore

Postby Wd40 » Wed, 24 Jul 2013 10:24 pm

Yeah, based on past forum posts, people have got their EPs inspite of giving up their PRs. Thats why I say its possible.

By increased scrutiny I mean, for a normal foreigner it may take a week at max to get the EP, in your case it may take like 4 weeks.

Just letting you know, hope for the best but be prepared for the worst.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35303
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Re: Aussie by birth, renounced SG PR, advice on getting EP

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 24 Jul 2013 10:29 pm

rdueej wrote:May be possible, may be not. It really is the government's call.

It also depends on how far your company is able to justify having you in Singapore. These days, companies find it difficult even when hiring foreigners with no past baggage.

Here is a quote taken from : http://www.ica.gov.sg/page.aspx?pageid=151

Renouncing or losing one's PR status without serving or completing full-time NS would have an adverse impact on any immediate or future applications to work or study in Singapore, or for Singapore citizenship or PR status.


The above is probably as good as it's going to get. Yes, you can get an EP if all other things meet up. We have seen cases on this forum before (not very many though). PR or Citizenship is probably completely out of the question as you avoided doing NS the first time. But if you are needed (by the gahment, not the employer, per se) then you will probably get the employment pass. If you do, you will probably have to be happy with that, family here or not.

Good Luck.

User avatar
PNGMK
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5863
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013
Location: Sinkapore

Postby PNGMK » Wed, 24 Jul 2013 10:36 pm

You have an interesting case - let us know how you get on.

GQ_AUSSIE
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed, 24 Jul 2013

Postby GQ_AUSSIE » Wed, 24 Jul 2013 11:57 pm

Thank you all for your advice - much appreciated. I too hope for the best and that I can get through with my EP.

Never did I thought I would be one day trying to return to SG. But family strings, the love of a SG woman and career aspirations have sought to create a compelling case. I just hope that SG needs more corporate financiers....

I will keep you all posted.

User avatar
Saint
Director
Director
Posts: 3535
Joined: Thu, 16 Jun 2005
Location: The Juban Stand, Boat Quay
Contact:

Re: Aussie by birth, renounced SG PR, advice on getting EP

Postby Saint » Thu, 25 Jul 2013 9:17 am

GQ_AUSSIE wrote:After JC 1 (when I was 17), my family decided to migrate back to Australia and I was brought along. I renounced my SG PR status prior to migrating back to AUS - in my immature youth, I never thought I would come back! :???: I dont recall being enlisted or drafted by MINDEF yet - I left immediately after JC 1


At the age of 16.5 all male Singaporeans and SPR have to register for NS. By the sounds of it you didn't. The Singapore Gahmen have very long memories and particularly don't like PRs leaving the Country and avoiding doing NS. I think you might have a problem getting a EP but you want to check your NS status.

There are more and more horror stories these days of people being classed as NS Defaulters because of actions/decisions taken years ago. This is just one example.

ftopic94729.html

One question, have you ever been back to Singapore since you left 14 years ago?


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest