Singapore Expats

WTF is with all the health clubs / spas? If a shop becomes..

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
PNGMK
Answers: 10

WTF is with all the health clubs / spas? If a shop becomes..

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 23 Jul 2013 1:41 am

vacant it's better than even money a health spa will open up in it.

They all can't be making money! Is this some sort of bottom of the harbor scam I haven't work out?

I mean I know a building that was $8000 a month up for rent and sure enough - a bloody massage parlour opens in it - they need to gross $267 per day 7 days a week just to meet the rent!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 23 Jul 2013 6:52 am

Shouldn't be too hard. That's only one happy ending per day. On second though I guess it should be hard. :o :lol:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Tue, 23 Jul 2013 9:48 am

Most of these health/beauty spas survive by selling packages. Throw in a package of $600 paid upfront for 12 visits for one gullible customer and they are good for the day's dough. All they need to do is to get at least one customer to sign for such packages a day.

Knowing how these things go, like gyms, customers often do not make full use of the package.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 23 Jul 2013 9:53 am

the lynx wrote:Most of these health/beauty spas survive by selling packages. Throw in a package of $600 paid upfront for 12 visits for one gullible customer and they are good for the day's dough. All they need to do is to get at least one customer to sign for such packages a day.

Knowing how these things go, like gyms, customers often do not make full use of the package.
Surely the market is saturated? They've crossed the Mason Dixon line (Lavender Road) and are creeping North as well as West along Balestier Road. I thought the vice line was Serangoon and Lavender on my side of the world.

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Max Headroom » Tue, 23 Jul 2013 11:01 am

What I don't understand is that with spa places on every corner now, how come getting a body rub is still so flipping expensive. The rates here are about the same as in Europe, which is insane, given that all of them here outsource to Indonesians, Vietnamese and what-have-you.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 23 Jul 2013 12:50 pm

Max Headroom wrote:What I don't understand is that with spa places on every corner now, how come getting a body rub is still so flipping expensive. The rates here are about the same as in Europe, which is insane, given that all of them here outsource to Indonesians, Vietnamese and what-have-you.
My guess is inadvertent collusion.

Some owners would probably prefer to keep their prices and earn more money per session rather than go low. Moreover, if they manage to sell packages, they can just close shop and deliver because they already got the money.

For fly-by-night operations, they probably make more money per session from horny patrons and can close shop when the anti-vice people catches wind of them. They already made money, after all.
Last edited by nakatago on Tue, 23 Jul 2013 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Tue, 23 Jul 2013 12:58 pm

nakatago wrote:
Max Headroom wrote:What I don't understand is that with spa places on every corner now, how come getting a body rub is still so flipping expensive. The rates here are about the same as in Europe, which is insane, given that all of them here outsource to Indonesians, Vietnamese and what-have-you.
MYy guess is inadvertent collusion.

Some owners would probably prefer to keep their prices and earn more money per session rather than go low. Moreover, if they manage to sell packages, they can just close shop and deliver because they already got the money.

For fly-by-night operations, they probably make more money per session from horny patrons and can close shop when the anti-vice people catches wind of them. They already made money, after all.
You mean ?

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Max Headroom » Tue, 23 Jul 2013 1:11 pm

nakatago wrote:
MYy guess is inadvertent collusion.

Sad, that.

We hear so much of ancient oriental massage therapies being awesome for body and soul. But in reality, you've got to pretty much bend over backwards (pardon the pun) to find a massage place that isn't just a red herring for hanky-panky.

So far, all places I've been to (apart from one great one in JB) I told them I do not want any funny business around the nether regions as I make my entrance into the establishment and all, typically, agree understandingly. But less than 1 minute into the session, the lady will invariably ask me about my "brother". Gee whiz. :???:

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 23 Jul 2013 1:33 pm

I saw this on teh internets. I thought it was tangentially related.

yogaloungeforever
Chatter
Chatter

Post by yogaloungeforever » Tue, 23 Jul 2013 3:08 pm

If what I am thinking about kermit in the vid is correct, isn't there supposed to be a masseur? :D
Life is short hence I live it to its fullest, that is .... I eat and sleep

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 23 Jul 2013 3:38 pm

yogaloungeforever wrote:If what I am thinking about kermit in the vid is correct, isn't there supposed to be a masseur? :D
Who knows where Ms. Piggy is...

uscate
Chatter
Chatter

Post by uscate » Wed, 24 Jul 2013 7:44 am

OMG! I'll NEVER look at Kermit the same way again!!! :o

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 24 Jul 2013 8:19 am

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Max Headroom » Mon, 29 Jul 2013 7:55 pm

(URL CENSORED DUE TO COPYRIGHT ISSUE)

What a surprise...

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Max Headroom » Sat, 14 Sep 2013 3:40 pm

BM, I just noticed this "(URL CENSORED DUE TO COPYRIGHT ISSUE)" line. Does that mean I posted a contentious URL? Sorry, I can't recall what the URL was about...

Cheers.