Singapore Expats Forum

Watching films on the internet legally

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
olivia242
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon, 19 Sep 2011

Watching films on the internet legally

Postby olivia242 » Sun, 21 Jul 2013 9:10 pm

does anyone know how I can watch films streamed from the internet legally in singapore? Is there an equivalent to netflix? I don't mind paying a few dollars to watch something.

Thanks.

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Sun, 21 Jul 2013 9:51 pm

Do a search for VPN and Hulu/Netflix/BBC iplayer. The topic has come up before.

User avatar
durain
Director
Director
Posts: 3666
Joined: Thu, 23 Aug 2007
Location: Location: Location: Location:

Postby durain » Tue, 23 Jul 2013 6:44 pm

for free, you can get some classic old movies from youtube.

for money, you need to sign up and get a proxy if it is outside singapore.

User avatar
PNGMK
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5188
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013
Location: Sinkapore

Postby PNGMK » Tue, 23 Jul 2013 8:32 pm

Myrepublic offer a teleport service. I watched (presumably legally) the BBC today and some Hulu stuff last night.

User avatar
nutnut
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1853
Joined: Thu, 24 Nov 2011
Location: The Mainland....

Postby nutnut » Tue, 23 Jul 2013 8:36 pm

Viewqwest also do Viewqwest TV, has Hulu, BBC, etc on apple tv type device running android. but, you need their fibre broadband services.
nutnut

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6837
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Tue, 23 Jul 2013 9:19 pm

PNGMK wrote:Myrepublic offer a teleport service. I watched (presumably legally) the BBC today and some Hulu stuff last night.


I would not be surprised if you're breaking US or UK law by doing this, or using VPNs, to circumvent copyright controls. But freak them.

rdueej
Regular
Regular
Posts: 91
Joined: Mon, 22 Jul 2013

Postby rdueej » Tue, 23 Jul 2013 9:43 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
PNGMK wrote:Myrepublic offer a teleport service. I watched (presumably legally) the BBC today and some Hulu stuff last night.


I would not be surprised if you're breaking US or UK law by doing this, or using VPNs, to circumvent copyright controls. But freak them.


There are no broad laws that I am aware of. However, in most cases, it would be in violation of the terms of use of the particular service itself.

For example, at Netflix
https://signup.netflix.com/TermsOfUse#limitations
... You may not circumvent, remove, alter, deactivate, degrade or thwart any of the content protections in the Netflix service. ...


You could interpret VPN services or DNS modifications as actions with intent to circumvent the content protection systems.

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6837
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Tue, 23 Jul 2013 11:16 pm

rdueej wrote:There are no broad laws that I am aware of.



I was thinking of the DCMA in the US and its Anti-Circumvention provisions.

http://chillingeffects.org/anticircumvention/faq.cgi

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-circ ... s_Controls

[quote]Circumvention of Access Controls[edit]
Section 103 (17 U.S.C Sec. 1201(a)(1)) of the DMCA states:
No person shall circumvent a technological measure that effectively controls access to a work protected under this title.
The Act defines what it means in Section 1201(a)(3):
(3) As used in this subsection—

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6837
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Tue, 23 Jul 2013 11:17 pm

rdueej wrote:For example, at Netflix
https://signup.netflix.com/TermsOfUse#limitations
... You may not circumvent, remove, alter, deactivate, degrade or thwart any of the content protections in the Netflix service. ...


You could interpret VPN services or DNS modifications as actions with intent to circumvent the content protection systems.


Missed this part of your post.

Exactly what you described is a violation of US law.

rdueej
Regular
Regular
Posts: 91
Joined: Mon, 22 Jul 2013

Postby rdueej » Wed, 24 Jul 2013 12:41 am

I guess it is true then. Well, it just adds to a list of other things that I do not care much about.

Personally, I find that a simple browser extension is enough for most sites ( http://hola.org/ )

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6837
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Wed, 24 Jul 2013 10:42 am

rdueej wrote:I guess it is true then. Well, it just adds to a list of other things that I do not care much about.

Personally, I find that a simple browser extension is enough for most sites ( http://hola.org/ )


Hola is a peer to peer proxy service. Just be aware your traffic is going through and being proxied by other Hola users. Kind of like Tor, but with an emphasis on performance and not privacy. I would be wary of using it if you have any expectation of privacy. If not, from what I hear it works nicely.

bgd
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1263
Joined: Wed, 25 Jul 2007

Postby bgd » Wed, 24 Jul 2013 11:28 am

I use Apple TV and it works well. You pay per movie and you have 48 hours to watch them.

The Singapore store is pretty light and censored so you really need an account outside of Sg, basically a foreign credit card.

rdueej
Regular
Regular
Posts: 91
Joined: Mon, 22 Jul 2013

Postby rdueej » Wed, 24 Jul 2013 4:34 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
rdueej wrote:I guess it is true then. Well, it just adds to a list of other things that I do not care much about.

Personally, I find that a simple browser extension is enough for most sites ( http://hola.org/ )


Hola is a peer to peer proxy service. Just be aware your traffic is going through and being proxied by other Hola users. Kind of like Tor, but with an emphasis on performance and not privacy. I would be wary of using it if you have any expectation of privacy. If not, from what I hear it works nicely.


I did not know that, thanks for pointing it out. I always thought that there would be a catch to it.

e-products
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat, 27 Jul 2013
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby e-products » Sat, 27 Jul 2013 2:54 am

You can buy the Apple TV Box which is sold at Nubox and other apple related product shops. Price is $148.00. If you want it at a cheaper price, you can check out the various classifieds or market place forums. VR-Zone marketplace forum has tons of people selling stuff (new and used).

scarbowl
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 382
Joined: Mon, 19 Oct 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby scarbowl » Sat, 27 Jul 2013 1:27 pm

If you have a US address on your credit card you can use Netflex and iTunes legally in Singapore.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Computer, Internet, Phone & Electronics”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests