Singapore Expats

Salary and job for a Diploma in Engineering

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
andrewgoh90

Salary and job for a Diploma in Engineering

Post by andrewgoh90 » Sun, 21 Jul 2013 12:11 pm

deleted
Last edited by andrewgoh90 on Wed, 11 Apr 2018 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ts1978

Post by ts1978 » Mon, 22 Jul 2013 6:34 pm

My advice as this stage of your career: deal with the crappy salary and gain some experience.

A few years of good work, maybe a promotion, and having stayed at your first company for ~3 years will do your career more good than hopping around now for a $200 raise.

rdueej
Regular
Regular

Post by rdueej » Mon, 22 Jul 2013 6:51 pm

Your salary does seem a bit low for an associate engineer in an MNC's R&D.

On your current track, you might continue to expect only similar increments for the next 1-2 years, maybe up to S$2400 down the line, but not much higher.

My suggestion would be to look at obtaining a degree. A diploma and experience can only take you so far along the R&D tracks at companies. The part-time B.Tech courses might be of interest to you.

andrewgoh90

Post by andrewgoh90 » Mon, 22 Jul 2013 7:04 pm

ts1978 wrote:My advice as this stage of your career: deal with the crappy salary and gain some experience.

A few years of good work, maybe a promotion, and having stayed at your first company for ~3 years will do your career more good than hopping around now for a $200 raise.
Hi thanks for the advice. One thing I'm sure about my current company now is for all Associate Engineer, they will be a temporary position and will not be convertible to permanent staff.
rdueej wrote:Your salary does seem a bit low for an associate engineer in an MNC's R&D.

On your current track, you might continue to expect only similar increments for the next 1-2 years, maybe up to S$2400 down the line, but not much higher.

My suggestion would be to look at obtaining a degree. A diploma and experience can only take you so far along the R&D tracks at companies. The part-time B.Tech courses might be of interest to you.
Hi, thanks for the advice too! I'm also considering to have a switch in industry maybe towards semiconductor.

wakaka

Post by wakaka » Mon, 22 Jul 2013 11:53 pm

I am a local here and I am too just starting out on my first permanent job.

Singapore is a really competitive place in terms of academic qualifications and starting pay for entry level is pegged against your highest qualification. For diploma, starting pay is around $2.2k-ish but because yours is a contract job, companies tend to offer a lot lower as they classify it as a temp job.

My opinion is also look into obtaining a degree. A good degree from one of the 3 government university would greatly increase your prospect.

And never take recruitment agents too seriously and they simply want you to take whatever job that comes your way so that they can get their commission as quickly as possible. Some are notorious for doing so. Be careful with them.

wakaka

Post by wakaka » Mon, 22 Jul 2013 11:53 pm

----------
Last edited by wakaka on Tue, 23 Jul 2013 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

therat
Editor
Editor
Answers: 2

Re: Salary and job for a Diploma in Engineering

Post by therat » Tue, 23 Jul 2013 9:17 am

andrewgoh90 wrote:Hi,
I got an interest in PCB design but don't really know how to do a complicated one. If you want me to make some dimming and flashing led with a MCU like a disco, yes I can do that.
In PCB design world , is depend on what type of footprint, package size, number of layer, knowledge of design for manufacturing , material usage, knowledge of certification class type, understanding of ISO standard, etc..
There are so many things to learn and there are no classes to teach all these.
You need to learn thru' out the way and learn from other department, like SQE, process, manufacturing , test , etc..

If your present company allow you to explore in PCB design, take this opportunity to learn.
Not many company willingly to take in a no experience person for PCB design job. Most of them required at least 2 yrs experience.

What software you use?