Singapore Expats Forum

EP still pending after a month

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
doidoidoi
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat, 20 Jul 2013

EP still pending after a month

Postby doidoidoi » Sat, 20 Jul 2013 4:55 am

I am a local (sg uni) graduate and was offered a job for about $3200. I applied for my EP on second week on June however I am still yet to receive any approval or reply from MOM.

My starting date was also delayed due to this reason. Anyone has similar experience or advice on this matter? I'm a Malaysian btw... Thanks a lot in advance

User avatar
nutnut
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1853
Joined: Thu, 24 Nov 2011
Location: The Mainland....

Postby nutnut » Sat, 20 Jul 2013 11:11 am

In my experience it normally takes no more than a week. It used to be 2 days pretty much every time, it's getting longer nowadays. your salary is a little low for a EP, I suspect you mean an S Pass?
nutnut

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34782
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 20 Jul 2013 12:17 pm

The minimum for the lowest EP (Q1) is $3000. However, this could be higher depending on how much experience along with your qualification and you age. We don't know the "break points" regarding experience & age, but we do know that they exist but are unpublished so therefore not arguable.

Q1 Employment Pass

Young graduates from good institutions could qualify if they earn at least $3,000

Older applicants would have to command higher salaries to qualify, commensurate with the work experience and quality they are expected to bring

doidoidoi
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat, 20 Jul 2013

Postby doidoidoi » Sat, 20 Jul 2013 2:47 pm

Hey thanks a lot for the replies. I have lots of coursemates with exact criteria but a lower salary of $3000 are able to secure an EP within a week of application. My case is the application has been pending for over a month and MOM is still unable to disclose any progress. :(

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10831
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Sat, 20 Jul 2013 11:35 pm

doidoidoi wrote:Hey thanks a lot for the replies. I have lots of coursemates with exact criteria but a lower salary of $3000 are able to secure an EP within a week of application. My case is the application has been pending for over a month and MOM is still unable to disclose any progress. :(


They probably want to verify the credentials and maybe the experience you submitted, and this will take time.

doidoidoi
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat, 20 Jul 2013

Postby doidoidoi » Mon, 22 Jul 2013 8:16 pm

however it costs me a massive delay to start my job and it's been over one and a half months already... Moreover my student pass is expiring soon, what should i do... :(

User avatar
Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1790
Joined: Sat, 19 Jun 2004
Location: Kinto Pino

Postby Mi Amigo » Mon, 22 Jul 2013 8:47 pm

doidoidoi wrote:however it costs me a massive delay to start my job and it's been over one and a half months already... Moreover my student pass is expiring soon, what should i do... :(

Have you asked your would-be employer to phone the MOM to check the status of the application? After such a long time I don't think that would be unreasonable.
Be careful what you wish for

rdueej
Regular
Regular
Posts: 91
Joined: Mon, 22 Jul 2013

Postby rdueej » Mon, 22 Jul 2013 8:59 pm

doidoidoi wrote:... ... Moreover my student pass is expiring soon, what should i do... :(


You need to return your student pass upon graduation from university. The validity of your student pass is determined by the earlier of two dates:
1. the date of expiry printed on the card
2. the date when you cease to be a student, which from my experience is some date in end-June or early-July

When you return your student pass (in-person at ICA), you will automatically receive a 1 month social visit pass. Within that 1 month, you can apply for a long term visit pass, normally valid for 1 year. http://www.ica.gov.sg/services_centre_o ... &secid=171 .

This is designed to allow sufficient time to search for jobs upon graduation, processing time for work pass and all other formalities.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34782
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 22 Jul 2013 9:24 pm

Good post rdueej. :)

doidoidoi
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat, 20 Jul 2013

Postby doidoidoi » Mon, 22 Jul 2013 11:24 pm

Mi Amigo wrote:
doidoidoi wrote:however it costs me a massive delay to start my job and it's been over one and a half months already... Moreover my student pass is expiring soon, what should i do... :(

Have you asked your would-be employer to phone the MOM to check the status of the application? After such a long time I don't think that would be unreasonable.


I had called the agent who helped me to apply however MOM did not disclose any further information besides saying that my application is still being vetted.

rdueej wrote:You need to return your student pass upon graduation from university. The validity of your student pass is determined by the earlier of two dates:
1. the date of expiry printed on the card
2. the date when you cease to be a student, which from my experience is some date in end-June or early-July

When you return your student pass (in-person at ICA), you will automatically receive a 1 month social visit pass. Within that 1 month, you can apply for a long term visit pass, normally valid for 1 year. http://www.ica.gov.sg/services.....;secid=171 .

This is designed to allow sufficient time to search for jobs upon graduation, processing time for work pass and all other formalities.


Thanks a lot. Guess I will have to pay $100++ to get the long term social visit pass just because of the delay........

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34782
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 22 Jul 2013 11:38 pm

If you get a 12 month LTVP that's less than 10 bucks/month. And you are whining? Give me a break. :roll:

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10831
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Mon, 22 Jul 2013 11:52 pm

doidoidoi wrote:I had called the agent who helped me to apply however MOM did not disclose any further information besides saying that my application is still being vetted.


This raises a very big red flag for me, given the number of people who have been screwed over by "agents". Where did you find this agent?

It is the company that you are going to work for that must make the actual application, after having gained the required information from you. I don't see where an agent is of any use at all, or for that matter, how they would even get involved, given that the EP is between you, your company, and MOM.

So, to ask again, what does the company that is trying to hire you say?

rdueej
Regular
Regular
Posts: 91
Joined: Mon, 22 Jul 2013

Postby rdueej » Tue, 23 Jul 2013 12:02 am

doidoidoi wrote:Thanks a lot. Guess I will have to pay $100++ to get the long term social visit pass just because of the delay........


I noticed that you are Malaysian. If you are unwilling to fork out the $100 for the LTVP, you could just hop back across the border, wait for your pass application to come through and then return using that IPA.

The question that accompanies the above suggestion is 'do you feel lucky ?'

freeman.vu
Regular
Regular
Posts: 56
Joined: Thu, 29 Oct 2009
Contact:

Postby freeman.vu » Sat, 27 Jul 2013 12:46 pm

In case you receive Singapore scholarship, you need to inform them (MFA) that you have done the course, ask for a flight back ticket and then only after that MOM can proceed with your EP app.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests