Singapore Expats

Gas hob reviews requested

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
SpouseofPR

Gas hob reviews requested

Post by SpouseofPR » Fri, 19 Jul 2013 11:28 am

Hi,

Anyone used these models which have a combo of gas+ vitroceramic/hotplate? Looking for reviews on performance as well as ease of maintenance.

1)Elba EHS 948 S (4 burners+1 hotplate)

2)Elba EH 638 SS (3 burners + 1 hotplate)

3)Ariston Hob with Vitroceramic plate (Models PH941MSTVIX/ Model PH741RQOGH)

Looking for sharing your experiences on pros and cons on cooking in a gas hob + hotplate/vitroceramic plate.

Also has anyone used or heard of this brand called GLEM? They also have a combo hob, the brand is proclaimed to be made in Italy. Thank you very much in advance.[img][/img]

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Fri, 19 Jul 2013 11:41 pm

can i ask why you want hotplate when you can have gas? but if you really do need a hotplate, consider induction. they are super fast to heat up.

skipper
Regular
Regular

Post by skipper » Mon, 22 Jul 2013 3:10 pm

We have the Ariston gas hob with hotplate and no issues so far, we're very satisfied with it. The reason we bought this combo hob is due to the fact that our condo gas supply is not piped in. If we run out of gas then we can use the hotplate to continue cooking while the gas tank is being delivered.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 22 Jul 2013 4:24 pm

skipper, I have an Ariston freestanding unit with both Gas (4 burner) and electric hotplate & electric oven for the exact same reason (and the fact that the oven was big enough to hold a 18lbs turkey. Don't use it for turkey anymore as have gone to deep fried turkeys now. :-)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Mon, 22 Jul 2013 7:14 pm

I have the Elba 4 gas, 1 hotplate. It's okay. Easy to clean. Not a fan of gas so given the choice I'd be going induction.

lunchanmeat

Re: Gas hob reviews requested

Post by lunchanmeat » Fri, 26 Nov 2021 9:23 pm

I bought this ariston gas stove (Ariston HOB TH 731 D2/A B/TG) on march 2021 and it keeps having flame problems. Despite already feedbacking to helpdesk sg they still did not give us an explanation or solution. First they send technician in and the technician blame us and say we cant do anything. Second we ask for a replace they REFUSEEE to replace it for us and keep blaming that we spoilt it, saying the water got in to the stove and spoilt it....its the kitchen it can get dirty what what you mean sia?!?!?!?! They say can replace but must pay for it too ....whta aaa GREATTTT SERVICEEE!!!! It has been almost 2 months they dont nothing but ignore and blame us on it... its not like we dont have any experience wif stoves right??? What you mean the water get in other stove doesnt spoil this easily why ariston once are so weak....

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 26 Nov 2021 10:21 pm

Take them to the Small Claims Tribunal. EOS
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 27 Nov 2021 5:13 am

lunchanmeat wrote:
Fri, 26 Nov 2021 9:23 pm
I bought this ariston gas stove (Ariston HOB TH 731 D2/A B/TG) on march 2021 and it keeps having flame problems. Despite already feedbacking to helpdesk sg they still did not give us an explanation or solution. First they send technician in and the technician blame us and say we cant do anything. Second we ask for a replace they REFUSEEE to replace it for us and keep blaming that we spoilt it, saying the water got in to the stove and spoilt it....its the kitchen it can get dirty what what you mean sia?!?!?!?! They say can replace but must pay for it too ....whta aaa GREATTTT SERVICEEE!!!! It has been almost 2 months they dont nothing but ignore and blame us on it... its not like we dont have any experience wif stoves right??? What you mean the water get in other stove doesnt spoil this easily why ariston once are so weak....
Every consumer in SG is protected by Lemon Law. You are entitled by law to a refund, repair, or price reduction.

Swn4
Regular
Regular

Post by Swn4 » Sun, 28 Nov 2021 10:30 am

What is the issue with the Aniston gas stove? Is it that the flame is only high or very low - no medium?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Sun, 28 Nov 2021 10:42 am

Speaking of hobs, we have been having trouble with ours lately - it’s also an Ariston. I have already taken everything apart and cleaned it, which fixed two that were just not even lighting up, but there is still one that keeps having issues - it will light up but won’t stay lit unless we try it several times. Seems like the knob itself is the problem, but I would welcome any suggestions.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 29 Nov 2021 3:14 am

Swn4 wrote:
Sun, 28 Nov 2021 10:30 am
What is the issue with the Aniston gas stove? Is it that the flame is only high or very low - no medium?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Probably difficulty starting a consistent flame.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 29 Nov 2021 3:21 am

malcontent wrote:
Sun, 28 Nov 2021 10:42 am
Speaking of hobs, we have been having trouble with ours lately - it’s also an Ariston. I have already taken everything apart and cleaned it, which fixed two that were just not even lighting up, but there is still one that keeps having issues - it will light up but won’t stay lit unless we try it several times. Seems like the knob itself is the problem, but I would welcome any suggestions.
Never had an Ariston, but replaced our previous hob (fisher and paykel) recently because we had the same problem. Couldn’t figure out the issue, hired a technician and he recommended we change the entire unit- his reasoning was that it was just age related wear and tear, and that a repair would cost more.

Myasis Dragon
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 23

Post by Myasis Dragon » Mon, 29 Nov 2021 11:41 pm

At the risk of asking the obvious... you do have the correct setup for the gas you are using? Natural gas, aka "city gas", aka the low pressure gas that is piped into your house requires different orifices than tanked gas, aka, propane gas. A natural gas hob will not work on propane, and a propane hob will not work on a city gas.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 30 Nov 2021 1:12 am

Ariston normally provided two sets of orifices. One for each as MD mentions. I'm on my 2nd Aniston (it's now around 10 or 12 years old. The first one also lasted the same and I had to hunt all over Singapore to find the replacement as I wanted the same model stainless freestanding stove, for 5 burner stoves with bottled gas (no city gas in our estate). Aniston had the largest non-commercial oven available in a freestanding stove at an affordable price. And yes, after many years, mine is starting to have issues with flame control (which I put down to corrosion in the piping possibly as the big burner works fine but the two mediums & one small only have low<->medium heat flames. The 5th burner is electric hotplate type and the oven is also electric. Mine is definitely not an orifice problem though.

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Tue, 30 Nov 2021 5:11 pm

Myasis Dragon wrote:
Mon, 29 Nov 2021 11:41 pm
At the risk of asking the obvious... you do have the correct setup for the gas you are using? Natural gas, aka "city gas", aka the low pressure gas that is piped into your house requires different orifices than tanked gas, aka, propane gas. A natural gas hob will not work on propane, and a propane hob will not work on a city gas.
No ours uses bottled gas. We have changed it several times since the issue began. Also, once it’s lit and stays lit, it’s fine… just sometimes takes a dozen attempts to get it lit and keep it lit.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr