Singapore Expats

best time for job hunt in singapore

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Tue, 16 Jul 2013 5:41 pm

:) Actually in the beginning of the year, there were like 4 of us in the team here in Singapore and about 6 in NY and our department head in NY told the 4 of us to start looking for jobs and we could lose our jobs anytime as they were planning to close the Singapore team.

The 1st guy got an offer in just 1 month and he took it up even though it wasnt very attractive, it was still better than the current, he wasn't making a lot anyway here.

The 2nd guy was the senior most and local manager and he got a really good offer after 3 months and he quit and he is happy.

The 3rd guy had some personal problems and he just went back to India.

I am the 4th guy and I make a decent amount here and better than the 1st and the 3rd guy, I stay put, until now.

Meanwhile the head of the NY team who originally notified us also quit and one of his subordinates took up that role.

Now the situation is since so many people have left, there isnt a budget issue anymore and me being the only one here, there isnt a hell a lot of pressure to remove me, so I have been told by the new head, that they will try to keep me as long a possible.

I guess, I am really lucky, but until how long, only time will tell :)

abc123xyz

Post by abc123xyz » Tue, 16 Jul 2013 10:46 pm

Good to hear :)

Not related to what you posted but I don't work well with US companies, especially their hire and fire fashion.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 17 Jul 2013 9:14 am

abc123xyz wrote:Good to hear :)

Not related to what you posted but I don't work well with US companies, especially their hire and fire fashion.
well, maybe not the nicest thing I would say, early in the morning, but beggers can be choosers meh ?? :D

Well .. when jobless, I wouldn't be so choosy .. ..

abc123xyz

Post by abc123xyz » Wed, 17 Jul 2013 12:47 pm

ecureilx wrote:
abc123xyz wrote:Good to hear :)

well, maybe not the nicest thing I would say, early in the morning, but beggers can be choosers meh ?? :D

Well .. when jobless, I wouldn't be so choosy .. ..
I agree. But for a beggar like me, still no...

Wah lau wth right :D

brian_singapore
Chatter
Chatter

Post by brian_singapore » Mon, 29 Jul 2013 10:47 pm

I saw the note about the last three months of the year being a bad time to look for work:

Is Nov/Dec a dead time in terms of looking for work in Singapore similar to North America? Or just slower?

I'm able to get some time off end of this year and I'm potentially looking at coming to Singapore to look for work. If I were doing this in Canada, I know this would be pointless, but not sure how big a deal the Christmas season is in Singapore.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 29 Jul 2013 11:18 pm

It's not the Christmas season per se, but the fact the the 13th months bonuses are coming due between the end of December till around the end of February (or whenever the Chinese New Year is). People don't jump jobs until they get their bonuses.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

brian_singapore
Chatter
Chatter

Post by brian_singapore » Mon, 29 Jul 2013 11:51 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:It's not the Christmas season per se, but the fact the the 13th months bonuses are coming due between the end of December till around the end of February (or whenever the Chinese New Year is). People don't jump jobs until they get their bonuses.
Thanks for the answer: Does this mean it's pointless and a waste of time? Or just harder and slower because of fewer job openings?

Canada tends to be dead for the simple reason large cross-sections of hiring / interviewing managers are all out of the office at various times, along with the extended xmas break.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Mon, 29 Jul 2013 11:57 pm

There may be a few replacement hires. But unlikely that large number of new positions being created at that time of the year.

But then you never know with these things. After all, you just need one opportunity to click. So if you have nothing to lose, come over. But if you can wait, then wait until Feb/Mar of next year.

You can do a lot of networking on linked in prior to that. Try and connect to every possible recruiter based in Singapore and change your headline to "Looking for an opportunity in Singapore" or something of that sort.

brian_singapore
Chatter
Chatter

Post by brian_singapore » Tue, 30 Jul 2013 3:18 am

Wd40 wrote:There may be a few replacement hires. But unlikely that large number of new positions being created at that time of the year.

But then you never know with these things. After all, you just need one opportunity to click. So if you have nothing to lose, come over. But if you can wait, then wait until Feb/Mar of next year.

You can do a lot of networking on linked in prior to that. Try and connect to every possible recruiter based in Singapore and change your headline to "Looking for an opportunity in Singapore" or something of that sort.
I'm going to follow the suggestions on the linkedin thread. I can probably pull this forward by a month to October, but I can't push this beyond December unfortunately.

Fingers crossed.

Shanto

Re: best time for job hunt in singapore

Post by Shanto » Sat, 10 Nov 2018 12:53 am

Hello guys. I am planning to visit Singapore next year probably by June. Is it good time to look for job in retail or Call Center.
Is there enough opening in retail sales there.