Singapore Expats

Newborn nephew given 42 days grace period for PR application

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
lclmum

Newborn nephew given 42 days grace period for PR application

Post by lclmum » Sat, 13 Jul 2013 8:31 am

Hi all,
I would like to find out when was this policy implemented? My nephew is the 4th-born to my brother-in-law and his wife and this is new information for them, as they did not know about this when they registered their 3rd-born’s birth in 2010, and this is new information to them. Here’s some background as I’ve some questions on the couple’s behalf:

The Couple
Father (my bro-in-law)
- Singapore PR (Stateless), born in Aug 1955 in Johore, Malaysia to Singapore citizen parents, who got married one year prior to his birth.
- Holder of Certificate of Identity, issued by ICA since early 1999.
- Hawker at food stall (self-employed since 1999).
- Income level (annual) fluctuates from as high as S$40k to as low as S$13k.
- Been paying taxes and contribute to Medisave since 2000.
- Educational level – completed Primary 6 in Singapore.
- Exempted from NS.
- Married to his wife in Indonesia, in Apr 1999. Marriage was endorsed in ROMM Singapore in Nov 199. This is his 2nd marriage, which produced 4 children.
- 1st marriage was to a Singaporean, in early 1980s, in ROMM Singapore. Divorced 2 or 3 years later, also in Singapore. No children.

Mother (my bro-in-law’s wife)
- Indonesian national, Cirebon native, born in 1978.
- On LTVP since Nov 1999, not Sep 1999. (sorry, typo :p)
- Housewife, ever since she got married. Status was single and has never worked or lived in Singapore, prior to her marriage to my bro-in-law.
- Educational level – SMP (Not sure about how SMP is comparable to Singapore’s educational system).

The couple’s children
1st-born – male child, SG-born in Dec 1999, premature baby. Deceased in mid-2001, in Singapore. Did not hold any travel documents.

2nd-born – male child, SG-born in Mar 2001. Currently in local primary school. Singapore PR since Jan 2003. Holder of Certificate of Identity, issued by ICA since Jan 2003.

3rd-born – male child, SG-born in Nov 2010. Holder of Indonesian passport, issued by KBRI Singapore since Feb 2011. On LTVP since May 2011.

4th-born – male child, SG-born on 10 July 2013. Upon registration of his birth at ICA on 11 July 2013, was given a letter on the spot, about applying PR within 42 days.

My bro-in-law’s initial plan was to apply PR for his wife, the 3rd-born and the newborn, as soon as they complete the formalities for LTVP renewal. Payments already made for LTVP renewal. Booked appointment LTVP formalities for 5 Aug (earlier date available). Plan is also to apply LTVP for the newborn 4th-born, as soon as his Indonesian passport is ready.

Questions:

- Can my brother-in-law apply PR not only for his newborn, but for his wife and their 3rd-born as well, in this case, PR application as a group?

- There wasn’t any mention of e-appointment booking procedure for PR application, in the letter. So, can they do a walk-in once they obtained the 4th-born’s Indonesian passport?

- What are their chances that the PR application will be approved, given my bro-in-law’s educational and income level? How long will the whole process take? How will this affect his wife and sons’ LTVP?

- My bro-in-law has ever applied for SG citizenship many times since 1980s yet got rejected each time with the reasons “Please reapply when your financial situation improvesâ€Â
Last edited by lclmum on Sun, 14 Jul 2013 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

lclmum

Post by lclmum » Sat, 13 Jul 2013 11:42 pm

Anyone in similar situation about the 42-day grace period for PR application for a SG-born newborn?

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Sun, 14 Jul 2013 10:22 am

This is the short cut method of applying PR that I was talking about. There is no information anywhere, you get to know about it only when you go to ica. MS also has mentioned about this.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Sun, 14 Jul 2013 10:30 am

This is the short cut method of applying PR that I was talking about. There is no information anywhere, you get to know about it only when you go to ica. MS also has mentioned about this.
Last edited by Wd40 on Sun, 14 Jul 2013 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 14 Jul 2013 11:42 am

It's he same 42 grace period given to a child of a Singaporean born abroad as well. I would guess the Government is saying there should be no reason for not registering the child within that time frame unless you have some ulterior motive for not taking up PR or citizenship, especially if it happens to be a male child. After that point, the citizen has to write in with explanations why late and the PR just get screwed like the parents might have been thinking to screw the gahment? At least that's the way I read the 42 day thingy. If you think about it, it makes sense.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Sun, 14 Jul 2013 12:13 pm

I think the OP's question is different. He is saying, they are surprised that a new born child of PR parents and child born in SG, can directly apply for PR without going through the LTSVP.

lclmum

Post by lclmum » Sun, 14 Jul 2013 3:26 pm

Wd40 wrote:I think the OP's question is different. He is saying, they are surprised that a new born child of PR parents and child born in SG, can directly apply for PR without going through the LTSVP.
Thank you Wd40, indeed my bro-in-law is very surprised about this, as few years ago when he asked at ICA if he can apply PR for his wife & sons, the officer told him that such application is only applicable if the husband is a Singapore Citizen and not a SPR.

lclmum

Post by lclmum » Sun, 14 Jul 2013 3:30 pm

Wd40 wrote:This is the short cut method of applying PR that I was talking about. There is no information anywhere, you get to know about it only when you go to ica. MS also has mentioned about this.
If this is really a shortcut aka no Q required for appointment, then this saves a lot of time especially when the main intention is to apply PR for the child. We hope that at the same time, we can also submit PR application for his wife & 3rd-born son together with the 4th-born newborn, as a whole family.

lclmum

Post by lclmum » Sun, 14 Jul 2013 3:35 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:It's he same 42 grace period given to a child of a Singaporean born abroad as well. I would guess the Government is saying there should be no reason for not registering the child within that time frame unless you have some ulterior motive for not taking up PR or citizenship, especially if it happens to be a male child. After that point, the citizen has to write in with explanations why late and the PR just get screwed like the parents might have been thinking to screw the gahment? At least that's the way I read the 42 day thingy. If you think about it, it makes sense.
Hi,
My bro-in-law is SPR while his wife is on LTVP. I'm not sure how the 42-day grace period runs parallel for Singaporean babies born abroad.
Last edited by lclmum on Sun, 14 Jul 2013 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lclmum

Post by lclmum » Sun, 14 Jul 2013 3:52 pm

Anyway, here's the contents of the letter mentioned:

Advisory Note
To The Parents of (child’s name)
Child’s Birth Certificate No. Txxxxxxxx

Dear Sir/Madam

REGULARISATION OF THE IMMIGRATION STATUS OF A FOREIGN CHILD BORN IN SINGAPORE

1.We are pleased to issue you with a Birth Certificate for your child. As the Birth Certificate is not an immigration document, please obtain a travel document for your child from the Embassy or High Commission of your nationality within 42 days of your child’s birth.

2. If you are unable to obtain a travel document for your child within the stipulated timeframe, please call at least 3 days before the 42nd day (21 August 2013) of your child’s birth for the renewal of your child’s Special Pass, which is deemed to be issued for your child at birth, at the following offices during office hours:
a) The Information/Queue ticket counters, Visitor Services Centre, Level 4, ICA Building (if you are a Social Visit Pass holder or a Permanent Resident of Singapore), or
b) The Ministry of Manpower Building, Work Pass Division (if you are a valid Employment Pass holder i.e. P or Q1 pass).

3. Please bring along the following documents before calling at either of the above-mentioned offices:
a) Both parents’ travel documents and Employment Pass green cards (for valid Employment Pass holders);
b) Child’s Birth Certificate;
c) This letter; and
d) Letter of acknowledgement from your Embassy or High Commission in Singapore indicating that you had submitted an application for a travel document for your child.

4. If you are able to obtain a travel document for your child within the stipulated timeframe and you intend to let your child reside in Singapore after the 42nd day of your child’s birth, the following procedures would guide you in applying for the appropriate immigration pass for your child’s continued stay in Singapore:

a) If you are a Permanent Resident of Singapore
If you wish to apply for permanent residence for your child, please call at the Information/Queue ticket counters, Permanent Resident Services Centre, Level 5, ICA Building during office hours on any working day to submit the application. (See Annex A)

b) If you are a Social Visit Pass Holder
If you wish to apply for a Social Visit Pass for your child, please call at the Information/Queue ticket counters, Visitor Services Centre, Level 4, ICA Building during office hours on any working day to complete the formalities of obtaining a Social Visit Pass for your child. (See Annex B)
(You can download a copy of the application form from ICA’s website at www.ica.gov.sg for the application of the facilities mentioned above. You may also contact us at 63916100 if you need further clarifications.)

c) If you are a valid Employment Pass holder – P or Q1 Pass
If you wish to apply for a Dependant’s Pass for your child, you can download a copy of the application form from the Ministry of Manpower’s website www.mom.gov.sg and submit it to the Work Pass Division by mail or via deposit box located the Ministry of Manpower Building, 18 Havelock Road. (See Annex C)

5. We enclosed a pictorial guide on the regularization process for your easy reference.

6. Please note that if you fail to apply for the appropriate immigration pass to regularize your child’s stay in Singapore after the 42nd day of your child’s birth, you would be deemed to have committed an offence under the Immigration Act (Cap 133). Offenders may be charged in court and be subjected to a fine not exceeding S$2000 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 6 months or to both.
Thank you.

COMMISSIONER
IMMIGRATION & CHECKPOINTS AUTHORITY

---------------------------------------------------------------

GUIDE TO PARENTS ON THE STEPS TO TAKE TO REGULARISE THE IMMIGRATION STATUS OF A FOREIGN CHILD BORN IN SINGAPORE

Annex A:

Parents to register the birth of the child at the hospital or at ICA within 14 days. -> Parents to apply for travel document for child from the Embassy or High Commission of their nationality within 42 days from the child’s date of birth -> Is child able to obtain travel document within 42 days? -> If No, Apply extension of Special Pass for child at 4th level of ICA Building. -> Upon approval of travel document -> Wish to apply PR for child? –> If Yes, I wish to apply PR for child -> Apply PR for child at 5th level of ICA Building.
If No, I do not wish to apply PR for child? -> Is the child staying on in Singapore after 42 days? -> If Yes, Apply Social Visit Pass for child at 4th level of ICA Building.
If No, child not staying on in Singapore after 42 days -> Depart from Singapore using the travel document obtained within 42 days.

------------------------------------

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 14 Jul 2013 5:55 pm

lclmum wrote:
Wd40 wrote:This is the short cut method of applying PR that I was talking about. There is no information anywhere, you get to know about it only when you go to ica. MS also has mentioned about this.
If this is really a shortcut aka no Q required for appointment, then this saves a lot of time especially when the main intention is to apply PR for the child. We hope that at the same time, we can also submit PR application for his wife & 3rd-born son together with the 4th-born newborn, as a whole family.
If the contents of the letter is correct as posted, then there is still no shortcut to PR for the children. It seems to be advising you that IF you want to apply for PR for the child, it must be done prior to the 42 days special pass expires for a newborn. that way, if necessary, arrangement for a special extension until such time as you receive your travel documents are all in order, etc.. I see nothing contained therein that suggests that there is any shortcut to PR. But I do see the hazard of NOT applying for PR within the 42 days, else they wouldn't have gone to the trouble of including it in the letter.

But that is just my interpretation, which may or may not be accurate. YMMV?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 15 Jul 2013 12:04 am

Wd40 wrote:I think the OP's question is different. He is saying, they are surprised that a new born child of PR parents and child born in SG, can directly apply for PR without going through the LTSVP.
I am bit lost. What is surprising in it? We applied first for PR for our kid and upon application the receiving desk clerk advised us to apply also for LTVP in the meantime purely for the reason of PR application taking typically 4-6 months (at that time). In other words our son never held LTVP before applying for PR.