Singapore Expats

Maid becomes employer's girlfriend

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 22 Aug 2013 12:33 pm

the lynx wrote:
Fortan wrote:Just reading through this and I don't understand the bad reputation of the Thais and why they are not on the approved maids list. If it is the fear of them ending up working the nights in clubs and pubs and where ever, how are that different from the Philippine girls?
I noticed that Vietnamese are also NOT in the approved list.
I assume this has to do with the quality (or lack there-of) of the English learnt in school there. I'm told lots of people in Vietnam go to Korea, Japan, and Taiwan to be maids.

The countries on that list seem to be neighboring countries with cultural ties to the various ethnic groups in Singapore, or richer and more well off countries. I imagine the later is for expats coming from there who want to bring their nannies, and MOM isn't worried about a flood of poor people coming in to abuse the pass.

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Thu, 22 Aug 2013 12:42 pm

Fortan wrote:Just reading through this and I don't understand the bad reputation of the Thais and why they are not on the approved maids list. If it is the fear of them ending up working the nights in clubs and pubs and where ever, how are that different from the Philippine girls?
Thailand is on the approved list as far as I'm aware

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Thu, 22 Aug 2013 12:45 pm

BedokAmerican wrote:I know this is an older thread but . . . . I just read it and was thinking . . .

Why can't men from Indonesia or the Phillipeans be FDWs in Sg? If there's a demand for live-in helpers by single men, why not? I understand the Sg gvt is concerned about men who live alone having a woman helper, so having a male FDW would solve the issue.

Also, families with sons in their late teens or early 20s living at home won't have to worry about them hitting on the female FDW (or the FDW trying to hit on them) if they had a male helper.

Think about it. Men are employed as cooks in restaurants, gardeners around condos, and cleaners in buildings. Why couldn't they do the same thing as a FDW? Has this ever been brought up?

Just a thought.
Males are permitted to be FDWs and there are quite a few already working here as FDW

Fortan
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Fortan » Thu, 22 Aug 2013 12:58 pm

Saint wrote:
Thailand is on the approved list as far as I'm aware
That is quite amazing. I tried applying for a Thai maid through lots of different agencies and no one had any or knew about any agencies that had Thai maids. Said it was far more difficult to get the work pass for them than for Phillipinos, Burmese and Indonesians.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 22 Aug 2013 1:23 pm

Saint wrote: Males are permitted to be FDWs and there are quite a few already working here as FDW
If they are, I'll bet the are not on a FDW Work Permit and are therefore working illegally (under false pretenses).
Work Permit (Foreign Domestic Worker) – Before you apply

Foreign Domestic Worker Requirements

A Foreign Domestic Worker (FDW) must meet the following requirements:

Female
From an approved source country/territory. These countries/territories include Bangladesh, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Macau, Malaysia, The Republic of the Union of Myanmar, Philippines, South Korea, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, and Thailand
Aged 23 years or above, and below 50 years old at the time of the Work Permit application
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Thu, 22 Aug 2013 2:08 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Saint wrote: Males are permitted to be FDWs and there are quite a few already working here as FDW
If they are, I'll bet the are not on a FDW Work Permit and are therefore working illegally (under false pretenses).
Work Permit (Foreign Domestic Worker) – Before you apply

Foreign Domestic Worker Requirements

A Foreign Domestic Worker (FDW) must meet the following requirements:

Female
From an approved source country/territory. These countries/territories include Bangladesh, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Macau, Malaysia, The Republic of the Union of Myanmar, Philippines, South Korea, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, and Thailand
Aged 23 years or above, and below 50 years old at the time of the Work Permit application
Totally legal male FDW, a pint on it?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 22 Aug 2013 4:33 pm

I sure like to talk to him as the MOM website sounds pretty straightforward about the requirements (which is what I cut & pasted from). I'd just like to know how he did it. I'm not doubting you, but just unsure if you actually saw what was on his green card. I would love to see a photocopy of his employment pass, front & back, though with name and FIN/wp number covered of course.
Last edited by sundaymorningstaple on Thu, 22 Aug 2013 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Thu, 22 Aug 2013 4:36 pm

BedokAmerican
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BedokAmerican » Thu, 22 Aug 2013 9:48 pm

Saint,

I read that link about male FDWs and it makes perfect sense.

Anyway, MOM ought to just scrap the "female" requirement or at least not enforce it. Of course, most FDWs here will be female anyway.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 22 Aug 2013 10:59 pm

Yeah, I guess I owe you one!

It interesting to note, however, that they are NOT just run of the mill FDWs. They are just what I anticipated, for the most part, male "caregivers" which is a lot different than the basic FDW and require additional courses before being allowed to work. Plus a whole slew of explanations.

I doubt very seriously a young civil engineer could acquire the services of one though. However, I reckon now, anything is possible. u win this round! ;-)