Singapore Expats

Do you think Singapore PR is harder to get than other places

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
abc123xyz

Do you think Singapore PR is harder to get than other places

Post by abc123xyz » Thu, 11 Jul 2013 9:48 am

Recently, it's become impossible.

I have a friend who went to the US during the same period, got married to a local and she now has her green card.

Not trying to raise any eyebrows here but a point to discuss, so please enlighten me.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 11 Jul 2013 9:58 am

The US has a lot more room than the little Red Dot has. Could explain alot.
The US doesn't worry too much about the abusers as we are too involved with trying to give the illegals everything on a silver platter. But a huge majority of Asians who take up PR in Singapore do so, primarily as a stepping stone to other western countries as if you are a PR here, the most western countries will look upon you favourably, whereas, direct application from your home of origin may well wither on the vine.

Also, the US is not a Patriarchal Society like most Asian countries. Marrying a Singaporean woman will get you absolutely no closer to PR if you are a male. In fact, you used to have to sign a statement at the ROM indicating that you had been made aware of the fact that marrying a local would, in no way, make you "more" eligible to obtain PR here. The reasoning is that the woman would normally follow the man and they figured the man may well want to return to his country of origin. Of course, in the past 30 years, Singapore women are much more educated, ruthless in business and generally more savvy than the normal local man, so it may be not to far into the future when Singapore become an equal society, for wont of a better word.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

abc123xyz

Post by abc123xyz » Thu, 11 Jul 2013 10:22 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:The US has a lot more room than the little Red Dot has. Could explain alot.
The US doesn't worry too much about the abusers as we are too involved with trying to give the illegals everything on a silver platter. But a huge majority of Asians who take up PR in Singapore do so, primarily as a stepping stone to other western countries as if you are a PR here, the most western countries will look upon you favourably, whereas, direct application from your home of origin may well wither on the vine.

Also, the US is not a Patriarchal Society like most Asian countries. Marrying a Singaporean woman will get you absolutely no closer to PR if you are a male. In fact, you used to have to sign a statement at the ROM indicating that you had been made aware of the fact that marrying a local would, in no way, make you "more" eligible to obtain PR here. The reasoning is that the woman would normally follow the man and they figured the man may well want to return to his country of origin. Of course, in the past 30 years, Singapore women are much more educated, ruthless in business and generally more savvy than the normal local man, so it may be not to far into the future when Singapore become an equal society, for wont of a better word.
Thanks for the input. What is your view on a female marrying to a local male then? I'd agree on tightening the immigration to marriage of convenience because there have been way too many people spoiling the market.

On the other hand, there is no transparency. At least there is a point system in Australia to assess and such, whereas two females all things equal can have a different outcome here.

bro75
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by bro75 » Thu, 11 Jul 2013 10:28 am

To answer you question, it is harder now to get a Singapore PR than in some countries such as US, Canada, Australia.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 11 Jul 2013 11:05 am

abc123xyz wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:The US has a lot more room than the little Red Dot has. Could explain alot.

Thanks for the input. What is your view on a female marrying to a local male then? I'd agree on tightening the immigration to marriage of convenience because there have been way too many people spoiling the market.

On the other hand, there is no transparency. At least there is a point system in Australia to assess and such, whereas two females all things equal can have a different outcome here.
Female marrying a local male would depend on where the female is originally from. Sadly, Singapore IS A NANNY STATE. They think they have to protect it's citizens from harms way, even down to the pairing of two human beings. They figure that you would need to be married for at least two years IF the girl is from another Asian country (With Malaysian Chinese being the exception and Indonesian Chinese to a lesser degree). The thought process behind it is 'marriage of convenience'. Makes sense in a way as a lot of men cannot think clearly with two heads at the same time, therefore are ripe for the picking by girls looks for a way out of poverty. So, honest girls, even if from neighbouring countries, tend to get tarred with the same brush. So, success can be had, but one need a lot more patience and time unless having the background education and experience to gain PR in their own right.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

abc123xyz

Post by abc123xyz » Thu, 11 Jul 2013 11:15 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
abc123xyz wrote:

Female marrying a local male would depend on where the female is originally from. Sadly, Singapore IS A NANNY STATE. They think they have to protect it's citizens from harms way, even down to the pairing of two human beings. They figure that you would need to be married for at least two years IF the girl is from another Asian country (With Malaysian Chinese being the exception and Indonesian Chinese to a lesser degree). The thought process behind it is 'marriage of convenience'. Makes sense in a way as a lot of men cannot think clearly with two heads at the same time, therefore are ripe for the picking by girls looks for a way out of poverty. So, honest girls, even if from neighbouring countries, tend to get tarred with the same brush. So, success can be had, but one need a lot more patience and time unless having the background education and experience to gain PR in their own right.
I had a feeling I'm starting to ask the same question I used to a few weeks ago... So Imma stop now :B *zip*

Can't blame them I agree, they're just protecting the citizens :)

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 11 Jul 2013 1:05 pm

bro75 wrote:To answer you question, it is harder now to get a Singapore PR than in some countries such as US, Canada, Australia.
I'd still consider Singapore the 'easiest' Asian country to get PR in. Most Asian countries don't even have a workable system for PR or it's completely back logged. MY, Indo, India, Thailand, Cambodia, VN, CN, Sri Lanka, PNG etc have no real PR system - they long visas available but no real right of residency for ever (actually some do but for retirement or if you provide a lot of capital inflow).

Secondly Australia has tightened up - you need quals and a good job prospects similar to Singapore and furthermore you really need to live there to become a PR.

Canada and the US are not slam dunks by any means.

However where you analogy really fails is that Singapore is still open for foreigners who can find a job provided it pays enough and that job is usually a pathway to long term residency. That does not apply to most Asian countries at all.

I'd say you're just a xenophobic idiot who is better off not coming to Singapore. Stay home.

abc123xyz

Post by abc123xyz » Thu, 11 Jul 2013 2:06 pm

PNGMK wrote:
bro75 wrote:To answer you question, it is harder now to get a Singapore PR than in some countries such as US, Canada, Australia.
I'd still consider Singapore the 'easiest' Asian country to get PR in. Most Asian countries don't even have a workable system for PR or it's completely back logged. MY, Indo, India, Thailand, Cambodia, VN, CN, Sri Lanka, PNG etc have no real PR system - they long visas available but no real right of residency for ever (actually some do but for retirement or if you provide a lot of capital inflow).

Secondly Australia has tightened up - you need quals and a good job prospects similar to Singapore and furthermore you really need to live there to become a PR.

However where you analogy really fails is that Singapore is still open for foreigners who can find a job provided it pays enough and that job is usually a pathway to long term residency. That does not apply to most Asian countries at all.

I'd say you're just a xenophobic idiot who is better off not coming to Singapore. Stay home.
Hello, thank you for the insights...

But I think it's a bit harsh to call someone idiot, maybe he's just having a bad day...

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 11 Jul 2013 2:42 pm

abc123xyz wrote:
PNGMK wrote:

Hello, thank you for the insights...

But I think it's a bit harsh to call someone idiot, maybe he's just having a bad day...
I've reconsidered my opinion, you're actually an illiterate imbecile. Apologies.

yogaloungeforever
Chatter
Chatter

Post by yogaloungeforever » Thu, 11 Jul 2013 2:47 pm

For MY there is a proper PR system in place. Just that I am of the opinion that it is discriminatory system - probably similar to Singapore. I know of a Malaysian lady who married an American man and despite living in Malaysia for like more than 10 years the American chap is still on foreigner status (PR apps still pending in the system). On the other hand, I know of an Indonesian couple who migrated to Malaysia and after about 5 years their PR was approved.

PNGMK wrote: ... I'd still consider Singapore the 'easiest' Asian country to get PR in. Most Asian countries don't even have a workable system for PR or it's completely back logged. MY, Indo, India, Thailand, Cambodia, VN, CN, Sri Lanka, PNG etc have no real PR system - they long visas available but no real right of residency for ever (actually some do but for retirement or if you provide a lot of capital inflow). ......
Life is short hence I live it to its fullest, that is .... I eat and sleep

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Thu, 11 Jul 2013 3:06 pm

The OP has a valid point. For someone who has lived here for long time like SMS or OSOD, I think the answer is a no-brainer. Singapore PR historically wasn't easy to get and it isn't easy to get now, in comparison to Australia or New Zealand for example.

But if you came to Singapore around 2007-2008, you might get fooled to believe that Singapore always gave away PR as if its just a club membership.

What Singapore has done now is just reverting to the mean. Australia and New Zealand are much easier to get a PR, in fact, even now, the most hated race with the most hated skill(IT) can get a PR in New Zealand in matter of months and in Australia a bit longer, without even stepping there.

abc123xyz

Post by abc123xyz » Thu, 11 Jul 2013 3:53 pm

Wd40 wrote:The OP has a valid point. For someone who has lived here for long time like SMS or OSOD, I think the answer is a no-brainer. Singapore PR historically wasn't easy to get and it isn't easy to get now, in comparison to Australia or New Zealand for example.

But if you came to Singapore around 2007-2008, you might get fooled to believe that Singapore always gave away PR as if its just a club membership.

What Singapore has done now is just reverting to the mean. Australia and New Zealand are much easier to get a PR, in fact, even now, the most hated race with the most hated skill(IT) can get a PR in New Zealand in matter of months and in Australia a bit longer, without even stepping there.
Thank you for the input. I have friends that get their green cards without hassles in the US after a lengthy stay of about 7-10 years (Yes they are Vietnamese like myself). Though I'm not quite sure about the exact requirements but the hearsays are they are quite transparent.

But hey, every country has his own system :)

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Thu, 11 Jul 2013 4:16 pm

Yeah! I know quite a few Vietnamese in top positions in the US. Nguyen is a Vietnamese surname isn't it? I have come across quite a lot of them in the US. Singapore just doesn't deserve these top talent.

abc123xyz

Post by abc123xyz » Thu, 11 Jul 2013 4:24 pm

Wd40 wrote:Yeah! I know quite a few Vietnamese in top positions in the US. Nguyen is a Vietnamese surname isn't it? I have come across quite a lot of them in the US. Singapore just doesn't deserve these top talent.
Ah come on every country has his own perks :) I'd prefer Singapore to US, I can never get bored of shopping or drinking til midnight without even worrying. The people are polite and customer service rocks. It's so safe to walk alone at night too, you can't ignore that :D

Yes Nguyen is a veryyyy common surname haha. There is even a joke about it where all the Nguyens are not even related.

A bit off topic, but the second gen Vietnamese (or onwards) in US are not really on the same page with the Vietnam Vietnamese (not sure how to put this across, please pardon my poor command of Eng-rish)

Hidy Ho
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Hidy Ho » Thu, 11 Jul 2013 4:37 pm

abc123xyz wrote:The people are polite and customer service rocks.
Are you talking about Singapore??? :???: