Singapore Expats

Quality of houses / condos and so on

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
Levenson

Quality of houses / condos and so on

Post by Levenson » Wed, 10 Jul 2013 9:05 pm

Hello

We are planning to move to Singapore, and already did some search online looking for information about places to live and rent.
However, I could not find any information that related to a quality of houses, flats, condos, and would like to ask the community for help.
Could someone, with a good knowledge of the structure of houses, to inform us how is the sound insulation there: is it good or is it bad? We would like to rent a quiet place, where we could relax without hearing the neighbours’ activities: talk, walk and other.
Is it possible?
Do condos and apartments have thin or thick walls? And what type of a building we would need to look at when searching for a place to rent: should it be old or modern, and what a location we should consider?

With regards

Search By

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 10 Jul 2013 11:00 pm

Buildings in Singapore, for the most part are all reinforced concrete. This means no insulation and noise is amplified like golf balls dropping on the floors. A quite place will only be detached or semi-detached houses as long as the semi d is attached by carport only. Noise is part & parcel of Singapore with a population density of over 5K people currently per Sq Km. Locations is subjective as to where you work, where you kids go to school, whether you want to be close to the beach, downtown, shopping areas, etc., etc. We don't have enough data about your lifestyle other than you don't like noise which, if you live in a condo isn't going to happen.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Wed, 10 Jul 2013 11:17 pm

In addition, most people here keep all windows constantly open (necessary in order not to suffocate), which of course circumvents any noise insulation a building might have.
Your only chance to be far enough away from your neighbours to not hear them is probably a detached bungalow with garden. Those cost S$15000/month and above.

Chantikki
Regular
Regular

Post by Chantikki » Thu, 11 Jul 2013 12:16 pm

You just have to come see. Also it's just luck. You never know when your neighbors will decide to renovate (with jack hammers!)

The quality of housing here is not good, but Singapore makes up for it in other ways.

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Thu, 11 Jul 2013 1:22 pm

I viewed three bungalows under 9k, Clementi/sunset area.

singapore eagle
Chatter
Chatter

Post by singapore eagle » Fri, 12 Jul 2013 1:19 pm

I moved from the UK to Singapore.

When initially staying in an apartment, we noticed a big difference between the brick/concrete walls here and the stud partitioning in our old flat back in London. We couldn't hear anything from our adjacent neighbour here. There was a bit of upstairs noise, but nothing too much.

We then moved to a house 2 years ago. The issues now are dogs barking in the middle of the night and construction. It is no exaggeration to say that our neighbours are knocking down and rebuilding their houses willy nilly. When this happens, we get 9 months of construction noise.

I know this isn't just an issue with houses. Had we stayed in our last condo, we would now be staying opposite a construction site for a brand new condo, which has sprung up in a plot of empty land.

So probably the main advice I can give is don't move in next to a construction site, but also don't take it for granted that a construction site won't move in next to you.

Levenson

Area and Renting cost

Post by Levenson » Fri, 26 Jul 2013 7:55 pm

Could somebody give some advice on renting cost and place?

We are keen to rent a place in location that is similar to the Hampstead/Highgate/Richmond area in London, UK.
We look at some websites and got feeling that Tanglin/Holland/Bukit Timah Area area is good and pleasant, and very family oriented.
Is it correct? If not, what would you advise?

Also, what type of an apartment we could rent there? And what would be maximum renting cost for a good place there (price that is not over the top but still offers a nice place)?

We would greatly appreciate any links to rents and locations.

Many thanks.

chaaraard

Post by chaaraard » Sat, 14 Sep 2013 4:44 pm

Ha ha Singapore is developing so quickly and with such a small amount of land, it's impossible to not be around construction ;)

BedokAmerican
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BedokAmerican » Sat, 14 Sep 2013 10:06 pm

Chantikki wrote:You just have to come see. Also it's just luck. You never know when your neighbors will decide to renovate (with jack hammers!)

The quality of housing here is not good, but Singapore makes up for it in other ways.
That is so true about renovating!

For the past month, that's been going on two units above us. The drilling and hammering is very loud and shrill and it's as if I'm in the same room. I normally wouldn't mind it, but the noise seems to start when my toddler goes down for a nap.

I was so relieved when I saw the renovation/construction permit was about to expire....then it got extended a few more weeks. Ugh.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sat, 14 Sep 2013 11:02 pm

Noise is my biggest factor in selecting apartments here. Apart from all the above make sure you go late at night (6 - 9pm) for a viewing. Open up the windows, turn off the music the LL or Agent is playing (to disguise the road noise) and let your ears rest for 30 mins. Imagine you're trying to go to sleep and decide if you can accept it.

Basically civil engs / arch's here don't spend money on noise abatement, insulation or even decent sound/air proof window fittings.

kookaburrah
Regular
Regular

Post by kookaburrah » Mon, 16 Sep 2013 11:53 am

I have bought a condo flat in the Hillview area and so far have been very lucky. The neighbours are quiet, I have jungle on one side, and no construction around me.

I'm not a structural engineer, but got the feeling, on seeing several apartments, that older buildings seem better built and have more generous dimensions. I'd look at stuff built in the 1990's.

Also, out here in the boonies rents are fairly affordable. 1400 sqft 3 beds go for around 3k?

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 16 Sep 2013 11:59 am

kookaburrah wrote:I have bought a condo flat in the Hillview area and so far have been very lucky. The neighbours are quiet, I have jungle on one side, and no construction around me.

I'm not a structural engineer, but got the feeling, on seeing several apartments, that older buildings seem better built and have more generous dimensions. I'd look at stuff built in the 1990's.

Also, out here in the boonies rents are fairly affordable. 1400 sqft 3 beds go for around 3k?
Hillview is a good area. There were landslides in the Jalan Dermawan area a few years back though.