Singapore Expats

Chance to get PR

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
CrystalR

Chance to get PR

Post by CrystalR » Tue, 09 Jul 2013 4:48 pm

Hi,

I am a Vietnamese holding an EP with salary 3.8k. I have been staying in Singapore for 7 years (3 years of studying and 4 years of working - I hold S Pass with my ex company). My husband is Singapore PR - Self-employed earning 70k per year. We have a one year old daughter here as well.

My qualification is Master Degree. and i am 25 years old this year.

I have paid 3 years income tax (1st year got exempted)

I have been trying my luck with PR Application 3 times and all got rejected. The last application was one year ago (my pay that time was 2.5k - also under EP)

I am planing to apply again end of this year (when I have 6 months pay slips for 3.8k)

Can someone please advise if there is any chance for me? I'm also thinking if I should ask lawyer (Khattarwong) to help with my PR Application this time.

Thank you in advance

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Re: Chance to get PR

Post by singaporeflyer » Tue, 09 Jul 2013 5:24 pm

CrystalR wrote:Hi,

I am a Vietnamese holding an EP with salary 3.8k. I have been staying in Singapore for 7 years (3 years of studying and 4 years of working - I hold S Pass with my ex company). My husband is Singapore PR - Self-employed earning 70k per year. We have a one year old daughter here as well.

My qualification is Master Degree. and i am 25 years old this year.

I have paid 3 years income tax (1st year got exempted)

I have been trying my luck with PR Application 3 times and all got rejected. The last application was one year ago (my pay that time was 2.5k - also under EP)

I am planing to apply again end of this year (when I have 6 months pay slips for 3.8k)

Can someone please advise if there is any chance for me? I'm also thinking if I should ask lawyer (Khattarwong) to help with my PR Application this time.

Thank you in advance
Did you apply for PR using the sponsorship of your husband or applied using the PTS Scheme?

CrystalR

Post by CrystalR » Tue, 09 Jul 2013 5:36 pm

Hi, I've tried all:

- apply with my SPass
- apply with my husband
- apply with my EPass (my salary that time was 2500)

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 09 Jul 2013 5:46 pm

If you use a lawyer, the odds of rejection are trebled.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

CrystalR

Post by CrystalR » Tue, 09 Jul 2013 5:47 pm

Is it? I thought that lawyer would be better?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 09 Jul 2013 5:54 pm

I went that route 20 years ago. I can speak from first hand experience. Additionally, I think you will find most lawyers today will shy away from trying to tackle immigration as they are a law unto themselves and are answerable to noone. This is the same with Immigration Officers around the world. If a lawyer does take you case, tell him you want to do it on salvage rates, e.g., no cure, no pay. Bet they won't even talk to you. Otherwise if they do take it they will not give you any assurances and you can kiss your money goodbye.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

CrystalR

Post by CrystalR » Tue, 09 Jul 2013 5:59 pm

So your advice is I should apply myself? Or there is really no hope for me and just stay here with my EP... ?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 09 Jul 2013 8:14 pm

What did your last rejection letter have written on it. Exactly.

CrystalR

Post by CrystalR » Wed, 10 Jul 2013 10:08 am

It always said that they have carefully consider my appllication, however it is unsuccessful and I still can work here with my S Pass/E Pass. They didn't give me any time to wait til I can submit the next application.

CrystalR

Post by CrystalR » Wed, 10 Jul 2013 10:52 am

Yes, I did, but also failed.

katbh
Reporter
Reporter

Post by katbh » Wed, 10 Jul 2013 12:03 pm

The comments about immigration and lawyers are unfounded. Under the Immigration laws an application must be made by the person applying - not by a third party. However, an experienced immigration lawyer can help you word and prepare your application so that it has a greater chance of approval. (Mind you, many people on this forum have the expertise, so you could run your application pass them.). The lawyers name will not be on the application and there is no need for ICA to know that one was used.

In reality, many EP applications are prepared by lawyers or paralegal types in MNCs. PR is no different except that you usually do not have the assistance of your company to do it - there is not a lot in it for them for you to go PR as it actually costs them more to employ you. But if you can find a good immigration lawyer, they can be very helpful - especially if you really do not know what you are doing. Just make sure that THEY know what they are doing!

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 10 Jul 2013 2:16 pm

That could only come from the mouth of a lawyer. ;-)

My information came from the mouth of an ICA Immigration officer. That's where it needs to come from.

Frankly, as noted, I made that mistake the first time. It became abundently clear that if one cannot do it themselves, they really shouldn't be PR's in the first place. I only used one because of the instigation of my local wife the first time.

Anyway, then contents of her last rejection make it quite clear that ICA does not consider her as a candidate for PR but she is still allowed to continue to work on her employment visa. So, if I were her, I would sit down with the S/O and start thinking about a plan B as eventually MOM is going to come down hard and a lot of employment visa holders are going to be on 30 days SVPs when they can no longer qualify for the pass. She can stay here on LTVPs though.

CrystalR

Post by CrystalR » Wed, 10 Jul 2013 3:44 pm

Just to comment... i cant work here with a LTVP (if i'm not wrong, only Dependent Pass or LTVP of a SC can get a letter of consent to work)

It really sounds like there is no hope for me to get PR...

katbh
Reporter
Reporter

Post by katbh » Wed, 10 Jul 2013 4:03 pm

Your salary has gone up. That is a positive. If you are intent on trying, give it a go. You obviously want to stay here long term, so it is best to at least try.