Singapore Expats

30 day short term pass extension

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
kooltilldend
Regular
Regular

30 day short term pass extension

Post by kooltilldend » Sun, 07 Jul 2013 9:54 pm

Hi guys,

I was made redundant last week while working at a start-up here in SG. I've been living here for over 3 years now having completed my MSc. at NTU and worked in a few places afterwards.

I have a quick q for anyone in the know:

I received a standard 30 day short term pass upon the cancellation of my ep and now essentially have 3 weeks (until 31 July) to find another job.

As such, I was wondering is it possible to apply for an extension on top of these 30 days? I know there used to be a long term pass (one time I think but I never applied for it) that I could apply for in the past but am not sure if anything of the sort still exists?

Does anybody know if there's still anything like this around or do I have to strictly leave SG at the end of the 30 days?

Thanks for the help!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: 30 day short term pass extension

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 07 Jul 2013 10:40 pm

kooltilldend wrote:Hi guys,

I was made redundant last week while working at a start-up here in SG. I've been living here for over 3 years now having completed my MSc. at NTU and worked in a few places afterwards.

I have a quick q for anyone in the know:

I received a standard 30 day short term pass upon the cancellation of my ep and now essentially have 3 weeks (until 31 July) to find another job.

As such, I was wondering is it possible to apply for an extension on top of these 30 days? I know there used to be a long term pass (one time I think but I never applied for it) that I could apply for in the past but am not sure if anything of the sort still exists?

Does anybody know if there's still anything like this around or do I have to strictly leave SG at the end of the 30 days?

Thanks for the help!

The standard 30 days SVP that you receive once your EP/S pass expires or is cancelled is not extendable. At the end of it you will have to leave the country for at least 5 days (at last known evidence, anyway). Good time to take the time to visit the folks for a while.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

kooltilldend
Regular
Regular

Post by kooltilldend » Sun, 07 Jul 2013 10:46 pm

I see. So the rules have changed again I guess because I was informed (last year) that I could apply for a one-time extension previously.

Well if I have to leave then so be it. Staying here in the current environment is getting me no closer to getting a (proper) job anyways.

Will def. explore all my options before I do so however

Thanks for the quick update!

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by AngMoG » Mon, 08 Jul 2013 10:57 am

Good luck! Let us know how you fare, but I guess from your post here, the number of replies to your applications is quite low.

One thing to point out as well, is that if you changed job frequently, that will be held against you, both by potential employers and by the MoM when your future employers is applying for EP. Not that I cannot understand you doing that, I know from own experience how crappy some SME employers can be here.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 08 Jul 2013 11:36 am

kooltilldend wrote:I see. So the rules have changed again I guess because I was informed (last year) that I could apply for a one-time extension previously.

Well if I have to leave then so be it. Staying here in the current environment is getting me no closer to getting a (proper) job anyways.

Will def. explore all my options before I do so however

Thanks for the quick update!
one time extension is if you arrive on a SVP .. not for Pass cancellations.

Now, if you have some family roots here, you can go along with the person and ask over the counter for one extension, though it will be rare to be considered favorably if you don't have 'roots' here ..

kooltilldend
Regular
Regular

Post by kooltilldend » Mon, 08 Jul 2013 3:17 pm

There did use to be a LTVP that allowed extension of 3 months (?) for those that studied locally

I had heard that the extension period was cut down to 1 month (?) but I didn't know that it has since been removed entirely.

The STVP extension is altogether different as its for tourists

kooltilldend
Regular
Regular

Post by kooltilldend » Mon, 08 Jul 2013 3:22 pm

AngMoG wrote:

Good luck! Let us know how you fare, but I guess from your post here, the number of replies to your applications is quite low.

One thing to point out as well, is that if you changed job frequently, that will be held against you, both by potential employers and by the MoM when your future employers is applying for EP. Not that I cannot understand you doing that, I know from own experience how crappy some SME employers can be here.
Thanks mate...yes the responses have been lukewarm at best but I'm not surprised given the new changes.

I do have a few jobs on my resume (probably a couple more than I really should) but its like you said, until you find that one "right" job, its all bound to happen - esp. given the nature of many sme employers in SG.

I'm still hoping that 3 weeks will be enough to atleast get the wheels rolling - if not have an outright job. If there are any positive responses whatsoever, I'll find a way to extend my stay here.

If not, then there's no point extending my stay anyways - and given the number of companies/jobs that are fast moving to India, going back may not be such a bad idea.

My major issue is that my family lives in Thailand (dad works there) yet Thailand rules mean I can't go to Thailand either. So yeah, even if I do have to go back to India - I'll still end up on my own (or with relatives at best)

Stuck between a rock and a stone really

p.s. I did my MSc. here at NTU and frankly my resume isn't half-bad either so I'm quite confident that I'll get an ep if I get an offer (maybe I'm blowing hot air but its been this way so far) *touchwood*

The last time I applied for an ep (about 7 months ago) - my application was approved next day so I guess/hope they don't look too unfavorably at me

Ofcourse the real q is if I can get a job where the company is willing to issue me an ep - now that's harder than it sounds!

kooltilldend
Regular
Regular

Post by kooltilldend » Mon, 08 Jul 2013 3:32 pm

http://www.ica.gov.sg/services_centre_o ... pageid=396

This is the pass I was talking about.

Not sure if its still around or more importantly if it applies to me but if it does, I was considering it as my last resort near the end of my current pass (and if I decide to continue staying here and keep looking/hoping for a job)

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 08 Jul 2013 3:36 pm

kooltilldend wrote:http://www.ica.gov.sg/services_centre_o ... pageid=396

Not sure if its still around or more importantly if it applies to me but if it does, I was considering it as my last resort near the end of my current pass (and if I decide to continue staying here and keep looking/hoping for a job)
That pass, from what I know, is only upon your completion of your course, not much later ..

Anyway, only ICA can confirm if you are still eligble for the above pass ;)

Some clue ..

Applicant’s Disembarkation/Embarkation (D/E) card endorsed with a valid Visit Pass granted on entry into Singapore

Applicant's existing Student's Pass (A police report is required if the Student's Pass is missing)

kooltilldend
Regular
Regular

Post by kooltilldend » Mon, 08 Jul 2013 3:41 pm

ecureilx wrote:
kooltilldend wrote:http://www.ica.gov.sg/services_centre_o ... pageid=396

That pass, from what I know, is only upon your completion of your course, not much later ..

Anyway, only ICA can confirm if you are still eligble for the above pass ;)

Some clue ..

Applicant’s Disembarkation/Embarkation (D/E) card endorsed with a valid Visit Pass granted on entry into Singapore

Applicant's existing Student's Pass (A police report is required if the Student's Pass is missing)
Interesting...well I know people who applied for it both after graduation and after having a job or 2 since. For me its been around 2 years since my MSc so its hard to say if I still qualify

For whatever reason, I was under the impression that its a one time pass which can be applied for anytime while the candidate is in SG after graduation (yet unemployed) - I never even thought it could come with an "expiry" (so to speak)

Anyhow thanks for the info! - I'll probably apply (or try to anyways) for it in a week or 2...should find out afterwards - will keep you guys updated with how it goes

Cheers!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 08 Jul 2013 3:54 pm

kooltilldend wrote: Interesting...well I know people who applied for it both after graduation and after having a job or 2 since. For me its been around 2 years since my MSc so its hard to say if I still qualify

For whatever reason, I was under the impression that its a one time pass which can be applied for anytime while the candidate is in SG after graduation (yet unemployed) - I never even thought it could come with an "expiry" (so to speak)

Anyhow thanks for the info! - I'll probably apply (or try to anyways) for it in a week or 2...should find out afterwards - will keep you guys updated with how it goes

Cheers!
You see, years ago there was a lot of flexibility .. including the EPEC, which some guys used it, and then 'suspended' it and then re-used it ..

Then there was a minority who were paying money to agents to get it .. not to find a Job but to spend time in Singapore, explore businesses, spend papa's money .. or so ..

The govt tightened up the rules in steps ..

I wouldn't be surprised if they have revoked the option of using the above pass when you need it .

Try and tell us ..

kooltilldend
Regular
Regular

Post by kooltilldend » Mon, 08 Jul 2013 4:02 pm

ecureilx wrote:You see, years ago there was a lot of flexibility .. including the EPEC, which some guys used it, and then 'suspended' it and then re-used it ..

Then there was a minority who were paying money to agents to get it .. not to find a Job but to spend time in Singapore, explore businesses, spend papa's money .. or so ..

The govt tightened up the rules in steps ..

I wouldn't be surprised if they have revoked the option of using the above pass when you need it .

Try and tell us ..
Very true but I think the rigidity of the rules were meant to discourage those who were killing time in SG without a job - which was a typical scenario with epec

It doesn't really affect me because I studied here (they generally look favorably at those who study locally - sadly I graduated in 2011 - if it was a few years ago, this would be a non-issue as I would most likely have a PR)

I haven't heard much about the LTVP that I mentioned earlier either but I do recall reading somewhere that the validity has been cut from 1 year to 3 months (if I recall correctly)

If it has been suspended altogether then that's def. news to me and I feel sorry for the new grads wo don't have a job placement while studying - they'll all be forced to go back the moment (or rather 30 days after) they graduate - scary!

Similarly the LTVP was also meant to assist those who studied locally to find a job while unemployed (ie me) as 30 days are rarely enough to secure a job (certainly in the current climate, it isn't)

I'm hoping LTVP's purpose (if it still exists that is) still includes those in situations like me...but if it doesn't then I guess I'll be saying my goodbyes to this country in 3 weeks time

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Mon, 08 Jul 2013 4:05 pm

kooltilldend wrote:
I do have a few jobs on my resume (probably a couple more than I really should) but its like you said, until you find that one "right" job, its all bound to happen - esp. given the nature of many sme employers in SG.
So you jumped a lot of jobs to get that "right" job and you were dealing with SMEs? :o

As foreigners without any safety net the definition of "right" job is not that straight forward. I am also a foreigner and to me the right job is the "safe" job.

SMEs, you shouldn't even touch them with a barge pole if you are a foreigner. Ofcourse, MNCs also can make large layoffs, but atleast they aren't half as cruel as those SMEs.

Its not just Singapore based SMEs, all SMEs are like that. The worst thing to do is to report to a boss who is like the owner of a small company or very close to it.

kooltilldend
Regular
Regular

Post by kooltilldend » Mon, 08 Jul 2013 4:10 pm

Wd40 wrote:So you jumped a lot of jobs to get that "right" job and you were dealing with SMEs :o

As foreigners without any safety net the definition of "right" job is not that straight forward. I am also a foreigner and to me the right job is the "safe" job.

SMEs, you shouldn't even touch them with a barge pole if you are a foreigner. Ofcourse, MNCs also can make large layoffs, but atleast they aren't half as cruel as those SMEs.
I didn't jump any jobs - all my jobs had circumstances attached to them. I didn't spend my dad's money on my education to job hop...certainly why would I when I don't even have a PR here

As a foreigner in the current climate - if you are choosing what job you take then kudos to you. I, sadly, am not so fortunate.

Let's take my current situation:

I have about 21 days left to find a job. Now imagine if I get an offer (no matter the company or what the job constitutes)...do you think I'm in any condition to negotiate or wait for a "better" offer? (or rather the "right" job)...Ofcourse not!

I have to make do with what I get until I can hopefully find something better while working (or I end up right where I am today - without a job and 30 days to find one)

I'm not even fussy about what kind of role I get anymore (yes I have preferences but they are irrelevant in the current market)

Oh and finally, startups aren't always that bad...perhaps they aren't great in SG but I'd be extremely happy if I was working at one - say in silicon valley

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Mon, 08 Jul 2013 4:20 pm

Well, I dont know what field you are in and considering that you have done an MSc from NTU and if you hadn't had an opportunity to jump to a good and safe company in the last 2 years, I would say, Singapore is not the place for you.

If it is India, then be it. Go there and build your career and then look outside for better opportunities.

I am in IT field and I knew right from the time I stepped in Singapore some 4 years ago, that Singapore is not the place to build a career in IT and I knew that if I have to leave my current company it wont be easy to find a company as good as this. I am still in the same company for 4 years and my company is moving IT jobs to India and now I have to find another job, but since its a big MNC they are not so cut throat and letting me stay here as long as the budget is there, which is likely till end of the year.

I am looking for a job for the last 6 months and its not been easy, I am still looking.

Good luck to you mate!